On my way to Cleveland for the 2011 "Let God's Kingdom Come" District Convention!

by MrFreeze 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Hey, I'm from the Akron area and the last big convention I attended was at the old Cleveland Coliseum (a misnomer, since it was in Richfield , about 30 minutes south of Cleveland) in 1984. Man, that place was the pits, or as you said, maybe it was because of the circumstances I had to be there. It was the home of the Cleveland Cavaliers. It was torn down in 1999 and is now an overgrown field. The conventions are now held at the Wolstein Center on CSU campus, I think. It is not far from Progressive Field. We were up there for an Indians game one time, the same weekend a convention was going on and we saw a few JWs crossing the street. It was a hot, summer day, and there were these guys in suits and women in their "southern church lady" dresses with their badges on. Kind of hard to not recognize who they were. I was more appropriately dressed in my Tribe gear!

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Cleveland here ADD. Along with 2 other members on the board. (at least)

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Sent you a pm NC.

The Wolstein Center *shudder*

The year I got baptised, 2002, we took our Thursday evening and went to an Indians/Yankees game at Jacob's Field. I remember the Indians were in the midst of a humungous sellout streak. The Tribe lost big as I recall. I remember when we'd see people going to Jacob's Field and I wish'd I could go.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Yes the Wolstein Center. Ahhhhh good times.

NC

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

It's nice to attend events, like baseball games, that stadiums are intended for. My only trip to NYC was in the early 60's for one of those 5 day conventions at Yankee Stadium. What an ordeal. That was our family "vacation" for that year, but there was not much time for sightseeing. I think we went to the top of the Empire State Building, but that was it. Another time we went to Detroit, another to Buffalo, which we actually did get to go over to Niagara Falls after that one. Woo-hoo! Man, I hated those conventions.

• cult classic
    cult classic
    and don't forget a couple half-frozen Swiss Miss Puddings!

Now that is funny. rofl

• noni1974
    noni1974

I remeber a few years in the late 80's early 90's that we had to go to Pittsberg for our convention at Three Rivers. This was after they stopped using the arena in Richfield and before the CSU convocation center opened. My family made it one year and never went back because my gradparents and mother could not stand the heat of sitting in the sun all day. We always went to a different convention than we were assigned. BTW I'm in Cleveland now.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

SAFE, when the conventions were held in Richfield, I worked in a little store in Richfield as a cashier. I wasn't a JW, and we HATED DC season. We were CONSTANTLY witnessed to and everybody bought lunch meat---which made the lines long. We were prepared to slice a pound here and there, but we weren't a deli, so 10 people ordering lunch meat at a time pissed us off. LOL

They'd walk in with their name tags, and order lunch meat, and try to leave literature.

NC

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

NewChapter, Boloney in, boloney out. HA! My last memory of that assembly is eating lunch in the parking lot in a hot car with my cousin and his wife. I was going thru a divorce, thought my life was over , but actually, was just the beginning because it was the start of my journey out of "the Truth". Now my favorite place just down from there is the Country Maid Ice Cream place, we stop there every fall after one of our hikes during the fall hiking spree.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

COUNTRY MAID ICE CREAM!!!! MMMMMM num num num!!!!! LOL

Oh and I probably sliced that boloney!

I've moved away from that area, but when I'm there with friends, I introduce them to country maid! BTW Noni and I have been going to a lot of free concerts in Akron and the Falls. Rockin on the River and Lock 3. It's been a blast. We might go see an ACDC tribute tomorrow. I THINK at rockin---not sure.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit