Me and my brother.

by nicolaou 60 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

Your story was heart wrenching and brought back memories of my own 17-year old brother and the horrible things that befell him after the holier than thou elders finished with him one night. It was many years ago, but I still cry when I realize the utter hell he endured when his whole world was jerked out from under him at such a tender age. He's never been the same.

Thanks for sharing your story. It helps solidify my own certainty that this cult of a religion is just plain evil on so many levels. I'm glad your brother overcame his trauma and was able to have a productive life.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Nic,

Thank you for pouring out your heart 5 years ago. What was said by you and others is still true today, because the shunning is still doing it's damage, tearing families and lives apart.

When I first came to JWD 3 years ago I was, of course, scared, then totally shocked to see all these Ex-Witnesses here. In my 35 years as a JW and even after fading a few years...I had never really SEEN an ex-JW ! I occasionally saw one in public, but, never really knew (or cared) what happened to them. I didn't know where they really 'went'...

We all know the WT told us they 'went' willingly into Satan's hands and became Worldly ™ evil tools of his. I was shocked to actually see Ex-JW's with real lives and independent thoughts...and...AND...they were happy. Happy they were out, sad over the damage done to them, BUT, working to heal themselves, helping others and looking forward to a good future.

The guilt we all have over how we (as JW's) treated others is really present -- because we do care. Our sad stories are important for new visitors to read, because, as JW's...we "were just following orders..." to never have anything to do with people who 'turned their backs on Jah'. So, most of us never knew the true damage that we were helping the WT to cause in the name of God.

These stories help steel our resolve to "never let it happen again" in our lives. We should never forget.

Rabbit

Open Mind, thanks for bringing this post back to our attention.

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

ANY OF YOU LURKING ELDERS/PUBLISHERS (UN/BAPTISED) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SEE THAT THIS ORGANISATION HAS GOT IT BADLY WRONG AND HAS THE POTENTIAL TO SERIOUSLY DAMAGE PEOPLE. JESUS WOULD NOT HAVE TREATED HIS FOLLOWERS THIS WAY. ANY OF YOU BETHEL LURKERS - GET CHANGING THE POLICY ON DISFELLOWSHIPPING/SHUNNING NOW! Nic, an incredibly moving story, thank you for sharing it - I'm so glad it has a happy ending, however bittersweet that may be. It really does confirm that a decision to leave the BORG is the right one and I am so grateful that my two little boys won't ever have to face a situation like this.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

Nothing like a good "pebbledashing"

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

The society all the way up until the late 80s had a practice od disassociating non-baptised members. I'm not sure if they had to be publishers or not. But my sister was one of the last ones to experience a non-baptised disassociation. She remains a loyal baptised witness to this day however.

• tec
    tec

This brought tears to my eyes too. That poor kid (your brother) and you as well. You at least had the excuse of youth... the adults in this congregation did not. Thanks for bumping it over on truthseeker's thread. A touching and encouraging end to such a wretched and harmful beginning.

Peace to you and your brother. I hope you are doing well together.

Tammy

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Thanks for sharing!! Very touching.

I wish you and your brother the best of luck as well..

• Hadit
    Hadit

My heart hurts for you both reading that. Thank you for sharing your story. I hope all is well with you both.

Take good care.

Hadit

• zoiks
    zoiks

Thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. This organization has a lot to answer for. It does its best to eliminate the best in us, by leaving no room for humanity - only mindless submission. Every time I read something like this, it renews my hope and faith in people.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Nic, this breaks my heart.

Now, I understand you much better.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit