Me and my brother.

by nicolaou 60 Replies latest jw friends

• teejay
    teejay

You know, Nic,

I started not to say it but I've changed my mind. That's a man's prerogative, right?

As much as it pains me that my brothers look at me the way they do (affecting whatever relationship we might have now), I think I'd feel a lot worse knowing that in the past I'd let my little brother down.

Your story (memory) of your kid brother crying himself to sleep clutching his green NW bible and then being left to search for love / friendship wherever he could find it for twenty years would be something that haunted me probably for the rest of my life. The way you describe an Older Brother's role -- I was his older brother and I was supposed to look after him but I'd let him down -- is the exact same way I see it.

You are an honest man, Nic, for telling this story. It was hard to read through the tears. It's at least good to know that your story has a happy ending. Good for you, Nic. Say hey to your brother for me, will ya? I mean that.

• Dia
    Dia

As I've been saying, JWs ought to have their kids taken away from them on the grounds that they are not fit to be parents.

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but think how things MIGHT change if parents that allow their kids to be subjected to situations like this were forced to give up their kids for awhile until they completed some parenting education classes.

Just wondering...since the internal rules were changed after a court battle, mightn't your brother have some right to sue them for the actions they took against him and the subsequent results?

I'd suggest talking to an attorney. Perhaps one of those that are so involved in other JW stuff right now.

They should be forced to take some responsibility for their outrageous actions against children.

Thanks for a beautiful story.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hello Nic.

It is obvious that you are a good man and an honest man. Forgive yourself for any of this situation that still lingers in your mind. Your brother also sounds like a good and honest man to tolerate with grace the attempts of the older jw's that try to renew contact and to accept your attempt at reuniting with him.

Your post was clear and descriptive. So much so that it brought tears to my eyes.

I wish you all the very best and hope that the lost years and those bad memories will fade away. To leave you with the new memories of a family reunited and its pleasures.

Outoftheorg

• COMF
    COMF

Thank you for telling the story, Nic. I can relate. Just, it's not a brother, it's a son... and he's still in there. I was supposed to teach him and guide him and prepare him for life, and instead I filled his head with cult bullshit.

• teejay
    teejay

Thank you for your comments, Outoftheorg. I have taken them to heart myself.

I didn't mean for my words to suggest that Nic has anything to feel guilty over. Yes, by all means he should have forgiven himself long ago. You too, COMF. Me, too.

See... my oldest sibling, my sister Connie, was disfellowshipped in 1971 when she was but 19 and still living at home. The elders, I have always believed, made an example of her since she was a part of a group of about twenty teenagers who had probably too much fun -- weren't "spiritual enough" -- (from the perspective of the wt and certain hard-core elders).

Anyway, following the lead of my loyal Dub mother (who soon put pressure on her to move out), I shunned Connie -- always my favorite sibling -- for almost the next twenty-five to thirty years. If I happened to see her around town (not often) I'd treat her as dead. I was a damn fool. [Not long after that she married a man she worked with and they moved to Dallas. Very happily for her, Henry has turned out to be worth his weight in refined gold and they recently celebrated their 30th anniversary.]

Still... the thought of what I did to her for so long as well as all that lost time we could've continued our relationship (but didn't -- only because of ME) is something I can't quite get over. Like your brother, Nic, Connie has been very forgiving and never ever brings up the feelings of abandonment she *must have* felt all those years. But god!... *I* can't forget.

Yeah, I've forgiven myself since I did what I thought was the right thing... and I know I should just "get over it" / "let it go"... but still...

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Yes Teejay-Nic.-Comf.

It seems that life is filled with oportunities for happiness or despair. We will have enough of the despair without the corroding expeience of a cult. Add the insanities of the jw world and it will be a life filled with confusion grief guilt and anger.

Being the imperfect humans that we are, one needs to realize that there will be mistakes and as we ought to forgive those that cause us grief we owe the same thing to ourselves.

However we ought never forget the mistakes and be careful to never repeat them. But as imperfect as we are we will always make some mistakes. So the opportunity to apologize will also always be there for us.

I have some of the same issues and sadness you all spoke of so I have at least some understanding of what you are going through.

I know from experience that some of that sadness can be lifted with time and living free of the cult atmosphere. I wish you all, all of the good things that life has to offer and I admire you all for your honesty and acceptance of the mistakes you made.

Outoftheorg

Edited by - outoftheorg on 5 November 2002 11:51:53

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Crazy isn't it? The 'Society' loads us with guilt while we're 'in' and then we load ourselves when we're 'out'.

COMF - how are things between you and your son now? Don't worry too much about "[filling] his head with cult bullshit" my Mum did that but I still love to her bits. I can see now how wrong she was but I also understand that she really was trying to do the best for us. I'm sure your son would feel the same way.

Hi Teejay. Sorry to hear about your sister. You're so right about some kids being 'made an example of'. I think that was a big factor with my brother. He could be a cheeky little git - he'd wind people up rotten and always do it with a grin on his face. Just like your sister, he wasn't seen as 'spiritual enough'. I think some of the elders just didn't know how to handle him and wanted him out of the way - it didn't matter that he wasn't even baptised.

It would be pointless for me to say 'let go of the guilt', it's up to you how you deal with it. All I will say is that I - and many others - know how you feel. Like you said, we just can't forget. We should just "get over it" / "let it go"... but still... (true words).

Thanks for your comments outoftheorg.
    Yes the family is 'reunited' - sort of. My loyal JW sisters both know how 'spritually dangerous' I am and as their husbands are both elders I don't get to see them anywhere near as much as I'd like. Nor does my brother, he's 'too worldly'.

Our family is as united as a broken vase. It's been repaired but you don't have to look too hard to see the cracks - it's just isn't the same as it used to be. And of course, just one more knock .............

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Hi Nic.

I was unaware that you also had others in the borg. It is my conclusion that as long as I have anyone from my family in the borg, things will not be normal. Even the ones that no longer are attending the meetings much, still seem to have something stuck in their minds that causes a wall of sorts between us. When we are together it just does not feel as it should. How much of that is due to their issues and how much is due to my issues, I have not figured out yet.

Some of them that are so adamant-dogmatic & hateful in their treatment of me, I have no contact with at all nor will I allow them to contact me. Those that are not that way I stay in touch with and encourage the oneness a family ought to have.

For a while I had bad feelings towards my mom for all the bs pumped into my mind as a child. But I came to realize, like you, that she also was a victim . Unfortunatly she passed away before I fully understood that and the opportunity to heal that relationship was lost. So I tell everyone to not let things go too long as we may miss the opportunity to heal things.

Well at least you have one more of the family within your own family. Thats a start. Who knows what the future will bring. Maybe your sisters will change as time goes by.

Outoftheorg

• Almost There
    Almost There

Nic,

I can relate to your story. I was an unbaptized publisher who was disassociated in 1987 and about six weeks later they published the watchtower article about not being able to disassociate an unbaptized publisher.

I became pregnant after my first sexual experience. I feel that Watchtower policies regarding dating outside of the organization was the main reason I ended up pregnant.

I was 1 of 5 children of a liberal elder (my father believe in higher education, he allowed us to participate in some extra curricular activities, etc.), who the brothers had it out for. So we were not viewed as a spiritual family. Plus my sisters and I are fairly attractive (so we had the wrath of the sisters and brothers who lusted after us). We would always receive snide remarks regarding our dress (dress to short, jewelry to showy, makeup to adult like). One time a brother remarked that my dress was too short (it was above my knee a little) and too tight. I told him that everyone should have their eyes on the bible and watchtowers and not my legs and hips.

Anyhow back to the topic. I would sneak about with my boyfriend who I was secretly dating for about 2 years. Because I was not allowed to date like normal couples (movies, dinners, etc.), I would sneak to his apartment or he would sneak to my job to see me. So after 2 years of spending isolated time together, we had unprotected sex and I ended up pregnant.

I hid the pregnancy from everyone (including the father). I was so ashamed and went to the abortion clinic 2 times, but could not go through with it. Finally, I made arrangments to give my child up for adoption.......but after delivering him I changed my mind and confided to the nurse, she called my mother. My mother was shocked and hurt, but very supportive and told me she would do all that she could to help me with my child. And I mean she did everything to cursing out the elders and to even leaving my father, because of the abuse he gave to her for supporting her teenage daughter and grandchild. (this is another story, maybe I will relate later).

On my release from the hospital, I get a call from the elders wanting to meet with me. My mother said wait until the baby is 6 weeks and I get my strength back. So I met with them when my son was about 2 months old.

The judicial committe was a pure nightmare. The ask how many times did I have sex? What kind of sex? If the father was going to stay active in my life?

I was tired of the interogation and asked one of the elders how many times do you fuck your wife a week and told them that they could do whatever they wanted, because I would never step foot back into a kingdom hall again (I wish I would have stuck to this, lol).

I was dissassociated and treated horribly by the congregation. Which was not that bad, because I was always treatly badly by them. But my father was very hurting ... calling me all kinds of whores and calling my son bastards, you name it.

This story could go on forever, so let me end. Six weeks after the announcment of my disassociation from the congragation, the watchtower article changing the policy about disassociating unbaptized publishers came out. My father asked for my forgiveness and invited me to the kingdom hall the day that article was to be studied.

I went and after the meeting they were showing my son and I all of this love and concern (sickening).

Thanks for reading my story and sorry it was so long.

Almost There

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi Almost There

Thanks for posting your story - sorry you've had to put up with so much grief, especially from your Dad. Hopefully it won't be too long before you can change your 'posting' name to Finally There.

Nic'
    ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit