The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth - Matt 5:5 anyone?

by punkofnice 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

On another thread concernedJW used an interesting quote from Jesus at Matt 5:5 'the meek shall inherit the Earth.' Fair comment I'd say. But Jesus didn't say 'paradise' Earth.

Now I know some of you don't believe in the Bible (which I respect), and I'm not after a debate.

What I'm interested to hear is how you would refyte that Jesus was not talking about a JW 'Paradise Earth'

IMHO Jesus was rather quoting from Psalms.

The watchtower has in the past, given a definition that the Hebrew word 'Olam' (I think it is), means to 'time indefinite' but NOT forever.

What say you my friends?

PS. No TROLL type large copy/paste nonsense from the CDubRom either please!!!!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Yes he was quoting from Psalms. I think whoever said this, is just spouting another utopian ideal, to make people who are disenchanted with life feel good about the future!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yeah. Looks to me like another prime example of 'make the scripture fit your doctrine' rather than the other way around.

By taking scriptures out of context you could probably prove unicorns live up my nose!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

You don't inherit things after you die. You inherit things after OTHER PEOPLE DIE. Therefore this scripture is not talking about any sort of earthly resurrection. It applies only to people who remain alive. Other than that, it is vague and ambiguous as to when this would take place or what other scriptural events it may or may not relate to.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

I've been asking this question also. Inheriting a paradise earth appealed to me since I wondered what is the purpose for the earth before becoming a JW.I'm interested to see how others view this as I am still learning.

I came across this explanation in the Christian Courier :

(1) God is the owner of this earth (Psalm 24:1).

(2) Those who obey Christ become children of God (Galatians 3:27; Hebrews 5:9), and “joint-heirs” with the Lord (Romans 8:17).

(3) The Father supplies all our needs (Philippians 4:19), we therefore enjoy this earth and its blessings more than all others.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Please let me help out.

This is reference to the magical world of Narnia where dreams come true - as every schoolboy knows.

A quick google will take you there.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Interesting how Jesus normally referred to 'the Kingdom of the Heavens' rather than a place where you could own a pet monkey and live near a waterfall!

Nania is good too. I need to check my wardrobe more!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Matt 5:5

Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the Earth.

(Which can also be read as blessings on the meek...).

Who are the meeK?

Paul answers:

Gentleness or meekness is the opposite to self-assertiveness and self-interest. It stems from trust in God's goodness and control over the situation. The gentle person is not occupied with self at all. This is a work of the Holy Spirit, not of the human will (Gal 5:23).

The meek are those that are NOT arrogant and willful and mean-spirited, those that do not force themselves and their beliefs uponothers, those that put their love and trust in God.

Perhaps gentle would be a better word, certainly loving would be a god choice too.

The whole of the beaitudes was a "reversal" of sorts for all that was at that time in 1st century Palestine, viewed as inferiour or lesser, Christ was not exalting.

5 When Jesus a saw the crowds, he went up the mountain; and after he sat down, his disciples came to him. 2 Then he began to speak, and taught them, saying:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely b on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Interesting PS.

I wonder how they reconcile this!!?

Probably: 'Oh, that bit is for the 'anointed'!'

I love to see it when JWs are called out on a fallacy and you watch as they try to answer you with a kind of ''what would the GB do'' schtick!

Like I mentioned it was cobblers that Jesus could be the Archangel Michael in view of Heb 1.

I got: 'Oh, well, ARCH angel is different to ANGEL!'

Nah.......it isn't!!

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I wonder how they reconcile this!!?

JW's don't reconcile anything, they wait for an Awake or a Watchtower to reveal the new light.

Probably: 'Oh, that bit is for the 'anointed'!'

As Paul said, ALL those that say and believe that Jesus is Christ are annointed by the HS.

I love to see it when JWs are called out on a fallacy and you watch as they try to answer you with a kind of ''what would the GB do'' schtick!
    Like I mentioned it was cobblers that Jesus could be the Archangel Michael in view of Heb 1.

Heb 1 goes out of the way to demonstrate that Christ CAN'T be an angel, to read anything different is, well, ridiculous.

I got: 'Oh, well, ARCH angel is different to ANGEL!'

Michael is the "patron" angle of the Israelits so yes, he is a different type, juts like Gabriel and others.

There are many theories about archangels, some come from the book of Enoch ( 1Enoch, the book od the watchers) others say that archangels referres to the angels that are on top of the arc of the covenant ( Mike and Gabe).

Nah.......it isn't!!

Hebrews and the GOJ make it clear that Christ ccouldn't be an angel and NOWHERE in the NT will you read it stated as such.

The JW's made up the Archangel doctrine in the same mode that they criticize the "made up doctrine" of the Trinity.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit