The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth - Matt 5:5 anyone?

by punkofnice 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

History has shown us that is not the meek who inherit the Earth, but the ruthless and powerful ones that do.

You're right.... but you're not going back far enough. The Great Cosmic Day is 26,000 years long. Half of the Day is Night. Evil cannot reign forever. Sunrise begins next year. Even the Bible tells about this......

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

And you're basing this on a civilization that couldn't save its own?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I would like to live in a world where there is love, peace, and tolerance. And I admire the people who promote it.

Agreed.

But on this issue, I'm a bit of a pessamist. Human nature is not going to change anytime soon. So what I'm saying is, whoever wrote this passage in the Bible was an idealist just like every other idealist that tried to change the world.

The very nature of our "fallen state" is driven by our pride and that pride is what makes this world the way i t is.

Christ knew our TRUE nature, that is why we feel "right" at peace and we know that war is wrong.

The ruthless and powerful outnumber the meek

No, they are more vocal and too many times the meek forget that meek doesn't mean weak and the meek allow the powerful to BELIEVE thay truoy are, when they are NOT. When those in power exert their power with force and hate and violence and ruthlessness, they do so ONLY because the "the meek" allow them to, hence they have no power other than thepower they are given.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

@ punkofnice

This is a case of a JW not being aware of WT doctrine. The WT itself teaches that "the meek ones" in Matthew 5:5 is referring to Jesus and the anointed who have received the earth as their inheritance.

I got the following info from JWfacts.

Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 1 p.1201 "The anointed members of the Christian congregation are spoken of as having a heavenly inheritance, sharing Jesus' inheritance as his "brothers." (Eph 1:14; Col 1:12; 1Pe 1:4, 5) This includes the earth.-Mt 5:5."

Watchtower 1974 June 15 pp.377-378 "? saying that the 'mild-tempered will inherit the earth.' Yes, those mild-tempered ones who are to be with Christ in his heavenly kingdom will rule over this earth."

Watchtower 1959 August 1 p.479 "When Jesus said, as recorded at Matthew 5:5, "Happy are the mild-tempered ones, since they will inherit the earth," of whom was he speaking?-H. S., U.S.A. Jesus here applied the expression "mild-tempered" or "meek" to his disciples of that time who were in line for the heavenly kingdom. He was the chief meek one among them and their example. Hebrews 1:1, 2 and 2:5, 6 show that Jesus inherits the earth or takes over the possession of it. His disciples were made his joint heirs in the Kingdom and enter into this inheritance or possession of the earth with him. Hence Matthew 5:5 does not strictly apply to the "other sheep.""
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

@Nobleheart - those washtowel quotes are brill.

So, when a JW says ; 'Look! It says the meek shall inherit the Earth! Proof of an Earthly paradise!'

I'd like to see their faces when confronted with their own litter-trash!

Mrs Punk would be unphased by it though!

• badseed
    badseed

I don't think they outnumber them, they just have bigger guns to threaten them with.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Good point badseed. And the irony is that a meek person invented the technology for those weapons. LOL

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

The society's own literature admits that Psalm 37: 11, 29 was referring to the promise God gave to the Israelites had they not defected time and time again. Yet the society also inexplicably teaches that is has a second fulfillment. To go along with that idea, you could say, "but the Christian Greek scriptures were written with the anointed in mind.....not the "other sheep"". "Therefore Matthew 5:5 is clearly saying that all those mild tempered ones that die and go to heaven "inherit the earth" in the sense that they are now rulers with Christ over the earth." "Nowhere does Matthew 5:5 say that people would live forever on it and that it would be a paradise."

w74 6/15 p. 377 par. 13 Serve with Eternity in View ***

3 In Psalm 37:11, 29 David wrote: “The meek ones themselves will possess the earth, . . . The righteous themselves will possess the earth, and they will reside forever upon it.” In saying this he evidently drew upon what should have been the case with regard to the Promised Land in his days and in the following generations. According to God’s covenant with Abraham, the wicked pagans who had lived in the land should be cleared out. (Gen. 15:18-21; 17:8; Deut. 7:22; Josh. 21:43-45) Thus each successive generation of righteous worshipers making up the nation of Israel could have resided on the land, the portion of the earth that God gave to them. (Deut. 30:20) We know, however, that the majority of the Israelites proved unfaithful, and so they did not carry out God’s purpose in that regard. In fact, finally God let the Assyrians and Babylonians conquer and depopulate the land temporarily.

• ProdigalSon
    ProdigalSon

Nomad Soul: And you're basing this on a civilization that couldn't save its own?

Assuming you're speaking of the Mayans, neither the prophecies nor the calendar originated with them. They got it from the Olmec civilization which preceded them by at least a thousand years, who in turn received it from elsewhere.....

Many different civilizations such as the Hindus, Chinese, even the Incas were in possession of the same information because it originally came from the stars. All of the concurring prophecies can be traced to Atlantis. I'm in the middle of an excellent book on the subject called Atlantis and 2012 - Lost Civilization and the Prophecies of the Maya by Frank Joseph. It has compelling evidence for these prophecies going back at least 18,000 years.

You might find this link interesting.....

http://2012reviews.net/2011/06/01/atlantis-and-2012-lost-civilization-and-the-prophecies-of-the-maya-frank-joseph-radio-interview/

• sinis
    sinis

Matthew is interesting. It almost makes you wonder... if a cyclic global calamity came about, would not the survivors be the "meek"? Would they not be the poor, the humble, and most importantly would you not be "meek" walking out into a new age where only a few survive? You may find all of this BS, but from the extensive research I have been doing I have come to the conclusion that the Bible, as many, many other texts speak of, were warning/reminding the reader of a cyclic cosmic event that affects man very harshly. remove the "god" factor, the spiritual factor, etc. and read the Bible texts as the exist, using them in conjunction with other non christian works.

Prodigal is correct. I think more people should research this. Hell, for years scientists said that the "photon belt" was BS, now they are saying we are going to enter a very dense, highly charged portion of the galaxy, that only comes around every 13K/26K years. The concern is that massive energy discharges could basically render humanity back to the 15th century, AND affect lif as we know it.

Ask yourself, from a modern perspective why build the Svalbard seed vault? Why have they been working on a soil bacteria (that was just entered into the vault last week) for ten years that can induce rapid nitrogen levels (1000's of times higher than normal, and faster) into STERILE soil??? Lots of shit going on...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit