The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth - Matt 5:5 anyone?

by punkofnice 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Anime Nerd
    Anime Nerd
    You may find all of this BS, but from the extensive research I have been doing I have come to the conclusion that the Bible, as many, many other texts speak of, were warning/reminding the reader of a cyclic cosmic event that affects man very harshly.

-Sinis

Hey Sinis, are you trying to say that "all of this has happened before; and all of this will happen again?" The "Scrolls of Pythia" gave this warning also.

I'm of course quoting the tv show, Battlestar Galactica (the new one). One of my favorite shows of all time. Have you seen it?

On another note, I think China will inherit the earth; not the meek. The US owes them a lot of money. It's only a matter of time before they try to repo the whole country. Maybe we can ask Canada if we can hide our country in their garage, so China won't be able to repo us.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The quotes from the WTB$ publications is interesting because it's a different meaning to how those scriptures are used in field misery.

As noted the WTB$ forces it's sheeple to believe (or be disfellowshipped), that the NT is for the 'annointed', the OT is for them to get their ludicrous WTB$ laws from and yet both are used to promote the doctrine of paradise Earth.

Wow! 100% marks to the WTB$ for coggnitive dissonance!

Again it just shows the JW's don't know what they are 'scripturally' supposed believe....just what they think they believe!

• designs
    designs

Jesus was probably paraphrasing the Rabbinic Sages that had come before him. Post Babylonian Jewry saw the rise of teachers and sages who cautioned against trying to figure out what awaits someone beyond the grave, Tanna, Yochanan ben Zakkai. Rabbi Rab taught that there would be no eating or drinking or having children and others taught that there would be great feats. Maimonides cautioned that such ideas were like the fantasies of school children and that no one could know what Gan Eden would be like except that injustice and war would cease.

• Concerned JW
    Concerned JW

Jesus isn't just quoting a scripture in psalms but a whole promise from God in the hebrew scriptures. It isn't just a stand alone scripture but a reference to the promises God gave to mankind. Right from Genesis were we re told to subdue the earth. to psalms (including the scripture quoted) to the pictorial promises in Isaiah were we build our own houses and eat our own produce in idealic earth conditions. And then the greater belief the Jews had of a Resurrection again into this perfect earth in isaiah's predictions. Jesus knew all this when he quoted that scripture and what it was referencing. The resurrection and the perfect earth is a huge topic in the hebrew scriptures.

• still thinking
    still thinking

good question mr punk...I am marking to read because this is something I have really been wondering about lately...thanks..great timing

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@concerned JW =

Jesus isn't just quoting a scripture in psalms but a whole promise from God in the hebrew scriptures. It isn't just a stand alone scripture but a reference to the promises God gave to mankind. Right from Genesis were we re told to subdue the earth. to psalms (including the scripture quoted) to the pictorial promises in Isaiah were we build our own houses and eat our own produce in idealic earth conditions. And then the greater belief the Jews had of a Resurrection again into this perfect earth in isaiah's predictions. Jesus knew all this when he quoted that scripture and what it was referencing. The resurrection and the perfect earth is a huge topic in the hebrew scriptures.

Well, that's what I thought when I was 'in'.....But here's the problem. Earlier in this thread I was reminded of what the watchtower teaches = the meek = 144,000 (not a great crowd that inherit the earth) and Psalms = a promise to the Isrealites that the land would be rid of baddies. there was a watchtower that used the Hebrew word 'Olam' (I think) that does not mean 'forever' but a limited time. As I don't have a CD Rom here, I can't find the reference. I've never seen a direct scripture that actually promises 'paradise earth' as per watchtower. It seems to be a confection from Rutherford. To be honest, scriptures/verses can be taken out of context and stitched together to prove whatever you want. It just seems to me Jesus came, destroyed the old law with his death so anything before it (IE the OT), is not for the Christian. Plus Jesus only ever spoke of the 'kingdom of the heavens'. Hence my questioning. I like to get varied views....and there are some very interesting view....all of which I respect. Whether I accept any of them is a different matter......

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

@stillthinking = How happifying!!

It was god told me to do it. I am his mouthpiece!

No! Wait! Sorry! I'm not......it's the Governing Body of Jehovah's Happy People that are god's mouthpiece!

Easy mistake!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Dear Concerned JW, I was going to ask you to provide a scripture or two that discuss an earthly resurrection but that's a fool's errand. There isn't one.

Even IF the context of the usually-cited scriptures implied a future paradise earth, NONE of them imply that it is a place for DEAD PEOPLE to return to. There is simply no evidence for an earthly resurrection. None.

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

The term "Paradise earth" never appears in the Bible. The word ‘paradise’ is used 3 times in the NT. Luke 23:43, 2 Cor 12:2-4, Rev 2:5-7.

Revelation 2:7 "Let the one who has an ear hear what the spirit says to the congregations: To him that conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God."

The WT identifies this as heaven in Insight on the Scriptures, Vol 2, p 576. “ Since other promises given in this section of Revelation to such conquering ones clearly relate to their gaining a heavenly inheritance it seems evident that "the paradise of God" in this case is a heavenly one."

The second scripture in 2 Corinthians 12:2-4, which clarifies by itself that paradise = third heaven.

The only scripture left is Luke 23:43. The Watchtower attempts to explain that Luke refers to an earthly paradise.

Watchtower 1983 October 15 p.4 Does the Bible Promise and Earthly Paradise "To such ones who had the hope of being received into heaven, Christ promised: "To him that conquers I will grant to eat of the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God." (Revelation 2:7; John 16:33; 1 John 5:4) This figurative "paradise of God" is in the invisible heavens. However, is it correct to assume that heaven is the only paradise set before all of Jesus' followers? Since the sympathetic evildoer did not conquer the world by pursuing a course of faithfulness to God but was justly being put to death for his wicked deeds, what Paradise did Christ promise him? Indeed, the Bible does promise an earthly Paradise!"

The quoted article shows that the Revelation reference to paradise is heavenly and provides no evidence that Luke 23 refers to earth. The Watchtower reasoning given is simply that it supports their doctrine. Jesus specifically states that the man on the cross will be "with him" so it follows that this would be in heaven.

Also, all the scriptures that mention the resurrection in the NT are talking about heaven. ( i.e. Matthew 6:20-21, John 14:2-4 Romans 6:3,5, 1 Corinthians 15:42-50, 2 Corinthians 5:6-8)

Paul mentioned the “hope of the resurrection”, which he himself entertained. His hope was to be resurrected in heaven. John 5:28, 29 doesn’t specify that the resurrection will take place on earth either, rather that those in the tombs would ‘hear Jesus’ voice and come out’. They don’t literally come out of the tombs; even JWs say God will recreate them from memory.

Isaiah and Psalms mention texts describing perfect living conditions, like Psalm 37 and Isaiah 65. They are Jewish restoration prophecies for their deliverance from Babylon.

"The initial fulfillment of Isaiah 65:17-19 involved the ancient Jews who, as Isaiah accurately predicted, did return to their homeland, where they reestablished pure worship." Watchtower 2000 April 15 p.10

Insight on the Scriptures, Volume 2 pp.381-382 "This prophecy was initially fulfilled in 537 B.C.E. when the Jewish remnant was restored to Jerusalem"

Isaiah 65 states that there will continue to be children and these blessed Israelites will fulfill their days, grow old and die, certainly not possible in the everlasting paradise the Watchtower promises.

These restoration prophecies can’t be used to prove a paradise on earth because: there is no mention of a secondary application, they mention that people will grow old and die, they discuss a new heavens and new earth.

The Bible mentions the new heavens and new earth as a future hope for all believers in 2 Peter 3, Rev 21. Some think there will be a new earth created after Christ’s reign. Others think that God’s purpose and its fulfillment aren’t revealed yet.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The quoted article shows that the Revelation reference to paradise is heavenly and provides no evidence that Luke 23 refers to earth. The Watchtower reasoning given is simply that it supports their doctrine. Jesus specifically states that the man on the cross will be "with him" so it follows that this would be in heaven.

This was my thinking - Jesus didn't use the phrase 'paradise EARTH'. There's no getting away from it.

I'm sick to my guts of how the watchtower puts it's own meaning on words things that simply ARE NOT THERE!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit