Help Please. Mother says she can prove I will die using the bible alone, no WT literature

by scooterspank 49 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• scooterspank
    scooterspank

She says she can prove I will die if I'm not in the "truth" strictly using the bible (but I'm sure with much WT research ahead of time). I'm rusty. I don't even know where my bible is. Help from you guys please??? Thanks in advance.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

May I ask, do you believe the authority of the Bible? Because if you don't, then who cares what an ancient book full of myths says. If you do, then you better prepare to show her a different doctrine cuz the bible is full of distruction.

I'm not sure where you stand, but I would end up trying to show her why the Bible is not written by an all knowing god, but by men, therefore what is says is pretty irrelevent.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Tell her to go ahead. She will merely be using out of context scriptures mined from Watchtower publications to show this. See here for the arguments: http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/salvation-only-for-jehovahs-witnesses.php

As any good debate, you should have insight in the arguments and sources that are going to be used and prepare your case in advance. Also account for the red herrings, straw men arguments, No True Scotsman etc.

If you have to counter this with the Bible, then use equally mined scriptures from other ministries that prove that there are more ways to God. Using the Bible you can prove anything. You could focus on the love of Jesus and God and read Bible commentaries (bible.cc) on the verses she will use.

The best thing to do is use logic and lead them to the conclusions by themselves. TheraminTrees and QualiaSoup on YouTube has some great videos to disprove the whole god-thing and also one of their videos disproves that only one religion is acceptable if God existed. See also here: http://godisimaginary.com/i5.htm

• garyneal
    garyneal

If you are a Bible believer, you should check out this site.

http://4jehovah.org/

Otherwise, I am in agreement with NewChapter. If you do not believe, why do you care? It's like a Muslim trying to convince a Christian that the Christian is going to hell because his Koran says so.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    She says she can prove I will die if I'm not in the "truth" strictly using the bible

If you really want to pursue this, if you really believe she will listen, then I suggest John Chapter 6, from verse 28 to the end. Be sure to read it in its full context; don't let her follow the prepared script of hop-scotching between unrelated fragments. Here are some highlights:

"I will certainly not reject anyone who comes to me"

" It is my Father's will that whoever sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and that I should raise that person up on the last day"

"In all truth I tell you, everyone who believes has eternal life."

"I am the living bread which has come down from heaven. Anyone who eats this bread will live for ever."

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

What kind of mother fixates on her kid's death like that?

You could tell her, "we're all going to die Mom. You first."

• irondork
    irondork

Whoa! Is judgement day here already?

Did your mommy get put in charge? She has the ability to tell you if you get to live or die?

• alanv
    alanv

Anyone who knows their bible can make it agree with anything you want it to say.

It can say all good people will go to heaven, or good people will live on earth. It can say God is a trinity or God is not a trinity.

There is a literal hellfire or not a literal hellfire.

We live in the last days or we don't live in the last days.

The bible has many contradictions or the bible does not have contradictions.

Anyway you get the idea.

• MrDarkKnight
    MrDarkKnight

A good approach is use the JW method on her. Let her make her case and prove her point. Take notes and ask clarifying questions. Say nothing in rebuttal. Bring her arguments here and we can help you prepare and respond.

The best way to deal with JWs is to ask questions that they do not want to answer or will not answer because the answers poke holes in the foundation of the doctrine. If you ask enough tough questions you will be considered "lost" or "lacking faith" or giving way to "doubts" or given the ultimate insult and be labeled as an "apostate." It is easier to label people negatively than to face inconsistencies in the doctrine and so this what is often done.

You will be fine.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I'm with DarkKnight on this one.

Let her go ahead, but use your common sense.

If something sounds silly, ask her to prove it, then don't accept any wierdo logic that she serves up, and tell her why. Keep asking questions that lead her to the conclusion that she is as nutty as a fruit cake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit