'BELIEVE IT OR LEAVE IT' - a long time faders dilemma.

by nicolaou 47 Replies latest jw experiences

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    This is what I can't decide. Are they actually becoming more restrictive, or is that my perception. I'm just not sure. Has anything actually fundamentally changed? Again, I'm just not sure.

It's very subjective. Why? Because three elders can DF a person for ANYTHING that the three elders agree upon.

• talesin
    talesin

nic ,, I know how much you love yr brother, this must be so hard.

Recently (several months ago), my parents and I fell out, and never again will I be spoken to. Even tried calling a few weeks ago,, ugh. It's tough as they are both sick, but I have PUT UP WITH THEIR CRAP FOR 35 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!! Only now that it's over I am finally feeling the emotional fallout - mostly anger, right now, but it will progress thru the 5 stages and soon,,, acceptance will be complete.

Don't let it go that long, nic,,, rip off the bandaid!

Though it's been tough, I am relieved I no longer have to listen to their crap about the kingdumb hell, their shocked looks when I say 'lucky', etc. etc. I'm starting to live for myself, FINALLY.

From the movie Farewell to the King, I say to YOU -------> LIFE, ENGLISH!!!

just my 2 ,,, and whatever you do, all the best

t

• ziddina
    ziddina
    "...This is what I can't decide. Are they actually becoming more restrictive, or is that my perception. I'm just not sure. Has anything actually fundamentally changed? Again, I'm just not sure. ..."

Hmmm...

Along with what "Leaving WT" said, perhaps another factor is that youth nowadays is much better informed - via the internet - and there are more options [or "Temptations", as the Watchtower would say... ]

I don't want to sound like an 'old fogey' saying, "Why, in my day, we'd walk 5 miles to school - and it was UPHILL both ways!!", but each new generation seems to have less 'staying' power. They're more restless, more demanding, less willing to wait for rewards [or "fulfillments"...]

Which could be a GOOD thing, in some situations... Meaning the Jehovah's Witness youth are probably much more keenly aware of their lack of freedom. And much more aware of the handicap that the Watchtower burdens them with, by denigrating higher education.

Zid

• ziddina
    ziddina

Aw, Talesin, I'm happy for your freedom, but wish that your parents weren't such hard-headed knuckleheads about it...

Their loss...

• talesin
    talesin

Zid - tx, yah nothing like kicking me when I'm down, huh? grrrr,, but yer so sweet :)

off-topic and aside, done :D

• undercover
    undercover

Read this thread and then answer the question: "Are Jehovah's Witnesses a cult"?

I can relate to some of what you're feeling, Nic. When you're a "fader" and not wanting to tip your hand that you're a full on "apostate", you have to bite your tongue and be mindful of certain things you say. Sometimes I feel like I'd rather just say, "fuck all y'all" and make it quite clear that I think JWs are a fucked up cult and that I no longer want any part of it or the people involved in it - yet - there is one person that I'm still trying to free from their control. Other than that one person, I don't give a rat's ass about any of em. Their feelings or ideas mean nothing to me. But until I free that one mind, completely free from the WT control, I have to be careful at times.

But as long as my plan is working, albeit slower than I would like, I'm willing to bite my tongue to some degree if the end result is to my liking.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Mickey - Would you mind sending me the same PM? This is very interesting

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I'm just coming up on the one year mark of being 'mentally' liberated from all this nonsense, and my fading regiment consists of MINIMAL, NON-PRODUCTIVE field service (Starbucks loves my car group), I don't answer or give talks at the meetings - basically, I'm just biding my time, not rocking the boat, not making any waves...

How do I put up with it all without going crazy?

I read Festinger's "When Prophecy Fails" and could only imagine what it was like to be one of the 'infiltrators' in the bizarre UFO cult...

But wait, I can do the same thing! This became 'my little project' for the next however many months, years...

I TRULY BELIEVE THIS RELIGION IS GOING TO BE ROCKED IN THE NEXT 5-10 YEARS...

...and if I can stand it, I'll be witnessing the whole thing from within.

In other words, this is 'my little project' for as long as I can take it.

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Here is a link to a thread with this year's District Convention talk recordings http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/211196/1/2011-2012-DC-MP3s-Partial-sets-from-Fri-Sat

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Right Nic, I've found a recording of the talk I referred to:

Saturday 10:00 Symposium: Kingdom Illustrations —How They Affect Your Ministry - The Dragnet.

You can download it here and you'll find it at 40 minutes http://www.sendspace.com/file/xu130v

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit