How important are God and Jesus to you?

by Nickolas 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

If an outsider examined my life, he would have to conclude that "God & Jesus" are not important at all to me. However, he would also conclude that my values and culture are permeated with Christianity.

And not all of that is bad, Donny. There are some good things that have come out of Christianity, I think you might agree, but that doesn't mean that Christianity is truth.

and not in a bad way.

that's a large part of the stumbling block. The fear is real, but irrational.

It seems it was easier when I thought I had certainty. When I first took the step from agnostic to atheist, I would try to convince myself that there was a god out there. But my brain was past the point of no return.

Yes, NomadSoul, it was this way for me, too. I was what you might call a "praying agnostic" for probably three decades after breaking away from my book study, messed up but not entirely scarred by the Watchtower. I'd sometimes pray in thanks, sometimes in supplication, most times just to understand. The third type of prayer apparently worked.

• jay88
    jay88

As a folk hero Jesus is quite alright as a Savior,hmmmmm not that important.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Also, the vast majority of people don't think about why they believe things. They hold beliefs dear but lack a fundamental understanding of how beliefs are formed in our mind, how precious and protected they are by our mind, and the negative consequences belief inflicts upon all of us on a daily basis.

I've pimped it before and I'll pimp it again right here: "Mistakes Were Made (but not by me)" by Carol Tavris and Elliot Aronson is a GREAT book about justification, cognitive dissonance, and why it is just SO DAMN HARD to change our minds.

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I really try to maintain a true agnostic view because the issue really is impossible to know. It's difficult at times to be open minded when the debate is so polarized. Sometimes I remember when I did believe and how frustrating it was. If anything, it was the closest to being suicidal I ever was. If so much wonder and happiness awaited us after our deaths, it didn't make sense to me to endure a life of constant pain and mockery.

Sometimes I am a bit jealous of the certainty some people of faith have. But I am reminded that I have a level of mental freedom that I can live my life how I choose, rather than following the directions of a man/organization/book. To me, that's important.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I want Him/Her to exist because then it would be easy to blame a lot of stuff but the matter of fact is that He/She can logically not exist and even if It does, the odds of us doing it wrong and thus invoking his wrath anyway are against us. There are and have been thousands of religions and they all say that if you're not doing it right, God or gods will destroy you (or punish you).

You cannot limit yourselves to the Biblical god either because the Bible is full of contradictions and logical fallacies so you have to be accepting of any god or gods in order to be truly objective. The greeks had it right when they recorded their philosophical tragedies - gods are hard to please and doing what one god wants may upset another one so why bother pleasing a God or body of gods (the Godderning Body ) that can never be satisfied (as symbolized by the unlimited sacrifices of the Jews/Israelites) if you can just as well make your way yourself in love and fine works?

The biblical God is a contradiction in itself. You cannot be perfect in love and be all-powerful yet allow suffering. The omni's assigned to the being (omniscient, omnipotent,...) are logical fallacies in themselves since you are not omnipotent if you can't can't do something, you can't be omniscient and account for free will.

It's safer for us as a society to not be able to blame something else for our own shortcomings and thus we should concentrate on bettering ourselves instead of leaving it up to a supernatural being. Whether you need a God for that is up to you but I think I'll do fine without. God is a nice concept as a parent when teaching a child - don't do wrong because something is watching over you and it has it's place in social structure. However we have all grown up now and don't have to be acting as children anymore, take responsibility and suffer the consequences.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I was actually hoping some active Jehovah's Witnesses would chime in. I'd appreciate understanding the dynamic better than I do. People on this board have the capability to make you not believe in the Watchtower if you are disposed to it, even not believing in God if you are disposed to that. If that frightens you then you'd probably best not engage in conversation with them. The question is particularly relevant to those who are very confident in their beliefs and their ability to defend them but who might underestimate the damage that would be done to them personally if their arguments do not prevail. My concern might be unwarranted. When I have seen overweeningly confident apologists come onto the board and get torn to ribbons, every single one of them has skulked away only to return another day with their confidence renewed.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    I really try to maintain a true agnostic view because the issue really is impossible to know.

Side question: Do you operate under the assumption that the most popular versions of God are myths? (Yahweh, Allah, etc.)

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Beat me to it, Donny.

• unshackled
    unshackled

At this time though, I just don't think its possible to conclude that there isn't a God. - Miz

This is true, but inversely, I don't think it is possible to conclude that there is a god. Seems to me the reason people adopt a god belief is because it answers all the scary unknowns of life for them. It is comforting and hence not easily dislodged. But is it logical to build your life around something you can't possibly know exists?

For example, we all need money to survive in this world. For most, money is a big source of stress in their lives. What if I told you I believe in an invisible money tree in my backyard, and when I need it most, will reveal itself to me and all will be taken care of? Comforting thought isn't it? But would you say:
    "I just don't think its possible to conclude that there isn't an invisible money tree in your backyard?"

To answer the OP...the bible characters of God and Jesus are not important to me.
  • Nickolas
    Nickolas

To answer the OP...the bible characters of God and Jesus are not important to me.

is that no longer important, or never were important?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit