How important are God and Jesus to you?

by Nickolas 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I ask this question because it goes to:

- how disposed to objectively considering contrarian evidence you are, and

- how much I might be messing with your life and happiness by helping you see things the way I do.

I read the posts of many people on this board who are apparently happy, even deliriously happy, with their theism. They truly have a deep, abiding love for God and Jesus and they seem to derive considerable joy and satisfaction from talking to others about it. My theory is that many, if not most, of these deeply pious individuals are incapable of considering contrarian evidence objectively because to do so would put their faith in danger. I'm putting this forward as a possibility. Perhaps my perceptions are all wrong. The prospect of not believing in God and Jesus seems completely foreign, even inconceivable for many of the board's minions. To lose faith in God would be akin to watching one of your children get run over by a bus. Horrifying. When you consider that parents have allowed their children to die rather than test their faith in Jehovah and His Organization, you know that this is true.

Would your life implode if you lost your faith? Should atheists just back off and not try to mess up your good thing, if only to keep them from wasting their time?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

A question for you, do you feel at times just a bit envious of people with faith?

I know I do, at times.

• Lore
    Lore
    Would your life implode if you lost your faith? Should athiests just back off and not try to mess up your good thing, if only to keep them from wasting their time?

It's like those guys that say they can't imagine how atheists could be moral, because if they didn't believe in god they'd have nothing to hold them back and they'd just run around killing and raping people. . .

If that's true, maybe I shouldn't try to convince them they're wrong.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Yes and no, NomadSoul. Yes, the thought that I might see my loved ones again is an appealing one to me and believing it would help my emotions to stay on a more even keel. But, no, what is important to me is truth. That's all.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

If that's true, maybe I shouldn't try to convince them they're wrong.

Yes, I've harboured that sentiment, myself. Those who don't kill their neighbour because God has forbidden it and will punish them for it but then discover there is no God will be inclined to kill their neighbour. However, that is the description of a religious psychopath and although they exist they are in fringe minority, just as are atheistic psychopaths.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt
    My theory is that many, if not most, of these deeply pious individuals are incapable of considering contrarian evidence objectively because to do so would put their faith in danger.

Indeed. With the fear of Hell (however defined) hanging over one's head, how can the evidence be calmly evaluated from an outsider perspective? Moreover, many sympathize with Pascal's wager, despite its many flaws, pointed out so long ago.

When I was a believer, the idea of their being no God was patently absurd. He was as real as the air I breathe, and I gave him credit for my very existence.

If an outsider examined my life, he would have to conclude that "God & Jesus" are not important at all to me. However, he would also conclude that my values and culture are permeated with Christianity.

• poppers
    poppers

My theory is that many, if not most, of these deeply pious individuals are incapable of considering contrarian evidence objectively because to do so would put their faith in danger.

I agree, but it's not only their faith, but their very identity is put in danger. To question one's identity is a scary prospect, especially when one's identity rests so heavily on their faith, and who is willing to do that ? Hardly anyone.

Would your life implode if you lost your faith?

Again, a very scary thing to contemplate, and most are unwilling to find out what would happen. If they did they might be very surprised, and not in a bad way.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

Some days I don't know what the heck I believe, and don't know if I'm going or coming. Some days I toe the line between full blown atheist and doubting with wrecked faith real close. However, to completely embrace a lack of belief in God or Christ just seems impossible to me. It would be on par with believing that water isn't really wet, and that concrete is chewy and tastes like a Snicker bar. If insurmountable evidence were presented that without a doubt God does not exist, I wouldn't lose my mind or anything. In fact, I think I'd feel pretty liberated. At this time though, I just don't think its possible to conclude that there isn't a God.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul
    Yes and no, NomadSoul. Yes, the thought that I might see my loved ones again is an appealing one to me and believing it would help my emotions to stay on a more even keel. But, no, what is important to me is truth. That's all.

It seems it was easier when I thought I had certainty. When I first took the step from agnostic to atheist, I would try to convince myself that there was a god out there. But my brain was past the point of no return.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

truly fabulous answer, NRFG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit