Need Opinions -- Engaged to a JW!!

by junebug_11 100 Replies latest social relationships

• Libelle
    Libelle

Junebug... I'm there. I married that guy who was a lapsed witness. It's not a pretty picture. For the first 5 years of our relationship, before he went back to the JW's (and before I knew exactly what that meant) things were decent. He was a moderate guy, not afraid to tell women that he was a feminist even, and I was a feminist, liberal pagan. then 3.5 years ago it all changed. They came to our door right when we were making some big changes in our live, and now he's as bad as any religious right extremist except that on top of all that, he won't celebrate any special occassion. I'm not a superficial person, but my birthday is so upsetting to me anymore. "my man" considers it the height of evil to even so much as wake up and say happy birthday with a kiss. Those little joys being gone are just the surface of the damage this religion has done to our household and relationship.

Now, I cringe just about every time he says anything because it's nearly all related to the WT and their utter drivel. Our kids (my stepkids and our one child together) have bible studies and go out in service. It's awful. I'm working on leaving this situation, because quite frankly,it's crap. And every time that I talk to him about it, he always turns it around on me, as if I'm the one who's "tearing apart our family" as if I were the one who's doen a complete 180 (I'm still a feminst, liberal, UU- pagan). In fact lately, every flaw or trouble in our house is turned into my fault or my doing. Or he likes to shove in my face how my lack of peace (inner peace, if you will) is because my own beliefs are not working. He's not willing to see how huge a divide he himself created in our household, how his arroagance, and shitty religion has made more strife in this house than my religion and it's ability to create peace for me. . And is far too willing to blame it on me since I won't listen to bible truths.

So now I am on the brink of leaving, and feel horrible guilt about this as I'm leaving my steps to their JW dad and their SDA mom... great combination for those kids isn't it? But at least I can give my own kid a home (if only half the time) where she can have birthdays, holidays, read anything she wants (even Harry Potter) and have a haven away from that cult.

That's what it's come to for us. If he's interested in sticking with them, all they will do is continue to draw him in.

One thing that's been my experience is, as an "unbelieving wife" anytime I come near a JW, they are all my bestest bestest friend and try to hug me and go out of their way to overly buddy me. It makes me shudder. If I joined them, all I"d hear is how I need to leave my job, help hubby find decent work (I'm the breadwinner) and take me and my kids out in service every day. VOMIT.

It sucks.

• Beware of false prophets
    Beware of false prophets

Glad to see that you're still around June Bug! One other thing I thought of that I don't think has really been mentioned much (though I might have forgotten) in this thread is the fact that the Watchtower seems to be a haven for pedophiles because of Watchtower policy. I promise that I don't intend for this to be a fear tactic approach, and your child may never have to deal with the danger (I was fortunate to not have to go through anything like that as a JW child), but it's worth considering.

Libelle, I feel so bad for you and can only imagine that you must want to scream and run sometimes when your husband incessantly talks to you in JW speak. My mother just got back from their District Convention and is using the loaded language like crazy and talking about how all the people who are essentially pissing her off in life are going to get theirs. I've learned to tune most of it out, but I can't imagine living with it. Best of luck in making a better life for you and your daughter!

• moshe
    moshe

So your boyfriend wanted to get married before the baby was born and you said "no". It's an immature and selfish thing you have done- giving this baby the label of "born out of wedlock", just so you could keep your options open. I'm beginning to feel sorry for the guy here.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

The guy is a born in JW, Moshe. She was being sensible for Christ's sake.

• moshe
    moshe
    She was being sensible for Christ's sake.

A worldly man would have dumped her a long time ago after she refused his proposal of marriage-

• shepherd
    shepherd

"giving this baby the label of "born out of wedlock" - What Century are you living in?????????

Does anyone use the word 'wedlock' still? If this person did not want to get 'locked' into marriage for whatever reason at that time, it's their right.

As for this situation, sadly I must say that from all the similar situations I have observed, and that's a lot, it has NEVER worked out in the end, unless he left the JWs again or you joined them (which is mental suicide).

• junebug_11
    junebug_11

@Moshe, wow, offensive, much?

"So your boyfriend wanted to get married before the baby was born and you said "no". It's an immature and selfish thing you have done- giving this baby the label of "born out of wedlock", just so you could keep your options open. I'm beginning to feel sorry for the guy here."

1) We got pregnant 2 weeks into our relationship, it's not like he proposed to me beforehand.

2) Pardon me for not wanting a shotgun wedding, not wanting to get married just because we had a child, and not wanting to be a whale in my dress.

3) How on earth am I "keeping my options open"?! I'm still with the guy, am I not? I am waiting because I didn't want to get married just because we have a child ^ and I do actually believe that marriage should be a "forever" thing.

Apparently I am selfish for wanting to make sure I was making the right decision and that we would last in the long-term? Yeah, you're right, I totally should have just stomped on down to the courthouse before the pregnancy test was even dry.

*eye roll* Seriously, what do you do IRL that makes you this condescending to people?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

(((Junebug))) ... welcome back.

I read your response about roommate type relationships, I am sorry you are feeling this way. It is a lonely feeling to have your relationship with mate/spouse/significant reduced to roommate type status.

I hope you and the baby are doing well. Have you been trying to open your boyfriends eyes about the JW religion? If he feels attacked it definately could have that effect.

• Little Imp
    Little Imp

Junebug, just seen your post. BTW I think the comment saying that a "worldly man" would have left you by now is very stereotypical. That may be true of some but not all which would apply to JW men equally.

I married a JW but did say beforehand that I wouldn't guarantee to convert and indeed the more meetings I attended the more I decided I didn't want to. He never made me and infact as time has gone on he opened up and said he never really wanted to still be going to meetings (he was in his forties when we met) his mother had emotionally blackmailed him into returning after him not having beenfor twenty or so years.

It has not all been plain sailing but we are still together and happy. Fortunately, we do not live near his family and have also moved 200 miles away from the KH we used to attend. Life is easier now that members of our local congregation no longer call on us.

My only really strong feeling is that your child should NOT be brought up in the faith. For me, I think faith has to be a choice and a child cannot make this choice. When he is 18 and wants to become one then that is he decision not your husbands. I feel so sorry for those children who are robbed of their childhood.

I hope things work out for you whatever path you choose.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Junebug_11

I too saw your post and wanted to give you a big hug!!! I hope the health of your baby is better!! I wish you all the love and happiness!! sorry there pops up some insensative ones here.... keeps us on our toes?FS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit