Terrible Analogy at a Convention

by ApostateDance 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Quandry
    Quandry

The problem is, they don't know who is carrying the ball. Is it the generation that was alive and at an age of understanding in 1914, the generation that was alive, the generation that doesn't know Jesus, or the overlapping generation?

The players are running -forward, then going back, then passing left and right, going in circles...no wonder they can't get near the goal!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The WTS hides the goal posts, you don't know if you're a yard away or 50 yards away. And just when you think you're close, they move the goal post.

The real analogy is that the time ran out at quarter to eight and the runner still hasn't reached the line and the stupid coach is telling him to keep running when everyone else is packing up and looking for the next game. The runner is uncertain whether the rules have changed so now he's merely jogging so as not to look too stupid but also so his coach can't accuse him of quitting.

"But, then the tv camera shows the halted player looking at the time clock on the score board. The tv camera pans to the score board. It is sponsered by www.freeminds.org The player leaves the field. The whole crowd is irate. They boo (shun) him and he loses all of his fame and fortune. And so, folks, that's how Jehovah and His angels in Heaven feel about us when we don't take our mission seriously and are stumbled by apostates.

The real analogy is that the f...g goal post keeps moving: 1914, 1925, 1975,.......

JW's will tell you there are sooooo close to the end zone, but they can't tell you at how many yards...

You guys write GREAT ANALOGIES! Are you JWs? Writing Dept will be recruiting you.

(Probably no need to worry about © on this material so they don't use it at the next convention.)

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They do this using a race as an illustration, too. If I was running a real race, I know exactly how long it is before I even get in. Whether it be a 50 meter dash or a 26 mile marathon, I already know where the finish line is likely to be. And there are markers in longer races to guide the runners so they know how much longer. If they are within a couple of meters from the finish line, they are going to see it. And they will put everything they have into those last few meters, because they know there is nothing beyond that.

The witlesses are told that the finish line is "in sight, dead ahead". They are supposed to act as if the finish line is right there. Trouble is, they don't know whether it's 50 meters or 500 kilometers ahead--and they are getting lied to about its being a few meters ahead only to have to go another few kilometers (at a time). They are spent from that last dash, when they thought they only had a few meters left, only to find out there is another 20 kilometers or more. This goes on repeatedly, and yet the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger wonders why the witlesses are slowing down. (It is wise to go at a sustainable pace if you don't know how much longer--spending oneself thinking they are a few meters from the finish only to find out they have 20 kilometers is how races are lost).

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

To me, analogies are an admission that your argument is weak.

So the speaker reduces the issue, that the WT has trumpeted the end of the world as we know it, for over 100 years.

To lend urgency, and CANCEL out people's thought processes, he makes the very imperfect comparison to a game they love.

So who are the players? Who are the opposition? Who makes up the fans?

Since leaving the WT, I see analogies as a sign of poor argumentation skills.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

The bottom line is, stupid or not, this is actually an effective analogy because it has created discussion and burned the subject of the analogy in to each poster's subconcious. The purpose of an analogy is to make people remember the subject or open discussion of same. I think Jackson was successful in doing just that with many people on JWN...imagine the impact with JW's at the conventions he speaks at!!

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

That's right. The fact that it is transparent to us, proves that it exists. And if it exits,

then there will be many who go no further than the veneer. It's like "the image of the Beast",

it exits as a powerful concept. So the two are "both tools of Satan", one is "the kings of the earth"

the other is "Babylon the Great." WT illustrations have always been great, and so has been their religious illusion.

• nancy drew
  • Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

it sounds so stupid NOW, but there was a time in my life I would have thought that was a profound illustration!

uhhh dduuuuuu

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I've heard of football players making touchdowns for the opposing team because they didn't realize they were running in the wrong direction. Perhaps it's not always a bad idea to raise ones head up and take a look around.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Why didn't he mention that the game started in 33CE and generation after generation has died playing this game without anyone scoring?

The basic flaw of the analogy is that distance isn't the same as time. Time is linear, one-direction, while Watchtower is running in circles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit