Ultimately, Are You Happy That The "Truth" Is Nonexistent?

by minimus 26 Replies latest jw friends

• techdotcom
    techdotcom

I was never able to take comfort in certainty, a personality flaw to be sure. I have always been a bit jealous of those who could believe, seemingly with their whole mind and soul, something that they could not possibly be so sure of.

That being said, I could not, after opening my eyes, ever choose to be blind agian. I cannot bask in the false comfort of faith even if life is so uncomfortably mysterious. I find joy in learning new things and thoughts, and will never be as ignorantly happy as those who can just believe....and I'm good with that.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I remain conflicted decades later. When I met with a female priest to discuss possible confirmation, I told her I could not make a commitment the way I did to JW when I was thirteen. She asked if I did anything the way I did at thirteen. Further, she asked me to define love fully. I could not but I knew I loved my mother and siblings and desperately wanted a man's love.

My faith is much more sophisticated and nuanced. Well, it had to improve b/c it could not go any lower. I still grapple with extra Bible knowledge vs. using love in my everday life. I want to master it as an academic subject.

Sometimes, though, I'd give up on great organ music, and medieval cathedrals (or replicas thereof) for certainty. I call this my good German moment. It is fleeting.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

To me, "the truth" meant that all of the injustice and suffering ever experienced by humankind would be eliminated forever - who wouldn't want that!

This was probably the hardest thing for me to get over. I could care less about the pandas, houses, mountains and all of that bullshit. I personally didn't even care if I myself lived forever.

I just thought it would be great if in the end everything got sorted out by god and made right. I really did wish this was true.

But...

I am certainly content in knowing I figured out 'the truth' that I was raised in is a bunch of crap and not reality.

• scary21
    scary21

Some times I kind of wish it were true for my mom, she's 87 yrs and really believed .57 yrs a JW. She will die........ THIS IS TRUTH ! For me, I was always too wicked (by JW standards) to have the JW hope. I've lived alot longer then I ever dreamed ( when I was a believer ) Now I now the TRUTH about the TRUTH!

Sherry

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Some ultimate "truth" may be out there, but I doubt we'll really find it. Or that we'll really know it's the truth if we do.

Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty good with it. I wasn't a JW for as long as many other exxers, so on one level, it taught me stuff. Don't believe every frikking thing you hear, for instance. I'm definitely happier now than I was as a Witness.

• minimus
    minimus

Truth is relative??

• chickpea
    chickpea

happy, you ask?

immeasurably so

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The troof is full of crap.

But truth exist.

• AwareBeing
    AwareBeing

Of course worship that caters to men's needs; like cults, money driven churches,

and incorporated religious systems do not have "the truth." So God is the ultimate

source of truth. By not allowing falsely indoctrinated men to intercede for us,

we are open to JC as our redeemer. This sets us onto the path to YHWH, not WTBTS.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Is it absolutely true that there are no absolute truths?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit