To Our Canadian Neighbors

by snowbird 134 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am happy to say that I've finally visited PEI this summer. It's the farthest east I've ever been in Canada. Charlottetown, it's capital, is a charming town. And yes, it is the setting for Anne of Green Gables. Will and Kate will be visiting soon.

• snowbird
    snowbird

OOOHHH!

Royalty!

Syl

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Well I got to see Prince William and Lady Katherine. OMG They are more gorgeous in person. She is just stunning.

The crowds were insane. 300,000 people on Parliament Hill. I went early and got one of the last places in the section for people in wheelchairs. It was built on two levels so people in the back row could see over the heads of people in their chairs in the first row. Very nice. You are allowed 1 person to come with you. Well the two people in front of us each had a person with them who insisted on standing up and blocking our view. When we asked them to please sit or move over they ignored us because they were videotaping the event. Veyr nice for them. Really sucked foir us because we couldn't see through them. After several people asked them to sit I finally spoke up and one woman got really nasty. But she moved. The other one finally sat down in the chair she brought.

Watch out JWs are everywhere. You would not believe how many flyers, and leaflets I found strewn all over the ground. It was worse than the Hare Krishnsas who kept their handing out to one small area and even to the Hare Krishnas who also stayed in one small area. I think the JWs were wandering through the crowd.

Wonder if they were wearing their meeting clothes?

• snowbird
    snowbird

I'm glad you got to see them.

Rude people are a pain, aren't they?

Syl

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Some people just don't understand what being considerate means. I went to stand at the other end of the platform we were on to see Will and Kate arrive. Someone suggested that I move forward. I told her I was fine and didn't want to block the view of pwople who would have been behind me. I am 5'6" and had a hat on. I would have been blocking the view. Some people just don't care. She shut up her nastiness when the man beside her said I was right. Guess being nasty to a disabled woman is easier than an abled bodied man. (He was there with his wife who was disabled and he was sitting right beside her.

Oh well I had a good time, go to see a prince and his bride. (She isn't a princess yet but I suspect that when she gives birth to their first child the Queen will make her a princess.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

jgnat:

*raises hand* also from the prairies. Ummm, that "mustard" field you are glowing about is canola.

Just to clarify:

Yes, canola fields are yellow. As are mustard fields. I am from Saskatchewan, NOT Alberta. My grandfather harvested mustard for several years, then switched over to flax.

http://www.canadacool.com/COOLFACTS/SASKATCHEWAN/Mustard.html

All the Mustard used on Yankee Stadium hotdogs comes from Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan - Chances are whether you are enjoying yellow, brown or oriental, the seeds used for your mustard were probably grown in Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan producers are the world's largest mustard exporters. Three to four hundred thousand acres are utilized for growing mustard seed. In a February 2005 speech to the Empire Club of Canada, Saskatchewan's Premier Lorne Calvert said: "Every drop of mustard on a Yankee Stadium hotdog now comes from Saskatchewan." According to Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada, Canada is the world's single largest exporter of mustard seed and among the top five producers in the world. Over 80 percent of Canada's mustard crop is grown in Saskatchewan, including the brown mustard seed used for Dijon (when favoured by Obama he was called an elitist.) Mustard began to be grown in North America after supplies from Europe were cut off during WWII. Plants are 30 to 45 inches high with yellow flowers. (Read more from the Encyclopedia of Regina)

Where: A company 1 hr and 40 minutes south west of Moose Jaw in Gravelbourg, has actually branded itself: Mustard Capital Inc.

In The News: The 'Great Saskatchewan Mustard Festival' is held annually in Regina in early August. Curious: The mustard plant is actually a member of the Brassica family.That's the same family as cabbage, broccoli and Brussel sprouts.

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

A mustard field:

• snowbird
  • straightshooter
    straightshooter

Thanks for being such good neighbors.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Hey Palmtree, Rider Pride, eh? lol

Share this

Google+