To Our Canadian Neighbors

by snowbird 134 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

I learned about y'all in the second grade, and fell in love with your beautiful land.

My geography book was filled with pictures of your wheat fields, lakes, rivers, and smiling people.

One of The Ancestors, an aunt of Hank Aaron, used to regale us with wonderful stories of her visits to your country: the cleanliness, the warmth and friendliness of the people, and the lack of overt racial prejudice.

Later on, I read about the Underground Railroad. My heart swelled with admiration and respect as I found out how your country welcomed fugitive slaves.

My resolve is to visit y'all one of these fine days and see for myself what I've been told. My little JW daughter and her dad have been there, and they both agree that Canada is a land of freedom and opportunity.

To the Canucks on this here forum, I salute you, as you only reinforce what I've been told about y'all.

Cheers.

Syl

• Heaven
    Heaven

Aw shucks, Syl; thanks. I work with a lot of diverse people who have come to Canada from around the world. They say the same things as you. When I listen to their stories about what it's like in their countries (eg. China, India, Africa to name a few) I am so very glad to live here.

Tomorrow is July 1st - Canada Day and a holiday here for us. In advance, Happy Canada Day everyone!

Canada Day

If you ever get the chance to see the RCMP Musical Ride, that is quite a fun thing to watch -- especially if you like horses.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You're welcome, Heaven.

I've been meaning to do this for some time now.

I work in law enforcement, and actually got to talk to an RCMP once!

He was tracking a person of interest who was making his way through Alabama.

Imagine that.

Syl

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I'm a very proud Canadian. I live in an apartment building in the capital city, Ottawa. I have never even seen an igloo although I have seen and been inside a teepee. We have snow on the ground generally from Dec to March. I have seen wild buffalo on the prairies on a wildlife reserve but never seen a wild moose. I have been 10 feet from a wild deer though. That was awesome. I have seen wild bear cubs but only at a distance. Didn't want to spook them in case momma bear was around somewhere.

Every part of the country has something different from the rocky shores of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia to theendless prairies and over the majestic Rockies and down to the unbelievable forests of the west coast. Eastern Canada in the fall is spectacular as the leaves change colors which is something I missed greatly when I live in Winnipeg.

We have less crime, and right now a better economy, than many other countries. We still have millions of acres of untouched land to explore and have some of the most amazing national parks you could ever visit.

I love Canada and I now have the freedom to proudly proclaim it.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks for responding, Lady Lee.

It's the prairies and mountains that I find most fascinating.

Syl

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I've met two Canadians from this site, Rayzorblade and Finally Free, and they are great people.

When I first stepped out of the airport terminal at Toronto, I felt at "home". After touring America for 2 weeks, much as I loved it, I felt comfortable in Toronto. And with the 2 above-mentioned posters acting as tour guides, I had a great time.

I'd love to see more of Canada one day.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Thanks, BP.

I plan on giving Australia its props, also.

By the way, where is Finally-Free?

Syl

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I've seen him elsewhere, but I have noticed he rarely posts here much. Maybe this thread will draw him out.

• shamus100
    shamus100

He's probably playing with his bird. ;)

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hey, Shamus.

You do NOT have a nasty, horrid, scandalous, putrid pm from me, so no need to look.

Tee hee hee.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit