Hi Everyone. Answer to prayer countdown...

by Stumpy 205 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose
    It's hard to come to terms with the fact that you've been a victim of manipulation and mind-control for so long. I feel very guilty that I have had a big part in teaching it from the platform too.

We have all been there, the anger, the guilt, feeling like a fool. Don't let the guilt get to you though, it's not your fault you were lied to and manipulated. I think it was Maya Angelou that said "you did the best you knew how to do a the time, when you knew better you did better". Well, now you know better.

It was not easy being a JW, you had to learn self discipline and develop other good qualities that will be useful to you in your new life. You will now have the freedom to make your own choices, free of the burdensome requirements of this religion. Don't feel bad about the wasted years in service to a cult, be grateful that you won't waste any more.

• fleshyheadedmutant
    fleshyheadedmutant

Welcome, Stumpy. A hearty Texas howdy to you and your wife.

What you and your wife are going through was the same for my husband and I. We were"in" for over thirty years and he was an elder for twenty years.

When we finally realized it just couldn't be the truth, we were bewildered, depressed, and felt like the rug had been pulled from beneath us. In our case, we'd put family at a long arm's length for many years, never spending much time with our parents, and then only grudgingly, feeling that they were hopelessly dupes of Satan. By the time we woke up to the truth, they were dead.

We left about ten years ago. By now, we are on a much better track. I went to college and graduated at 61. I am a teacher. My husband enjoys hobbies he could not develop before.

Please know there is abundant happiness and life after leaving. Wish your family the best.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Magnum: I have made answering my questions simpler now by asking questions that can be answered with a "yes" or "no", but I get complete silence as an answer.

"Silence is the language God speaks everything else is just a bad translation"

1. Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī,
      1. a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic. Wikipedia
  • Stumpy
    Stumpy

Hi and thank you again for all your thoughtful comments and virtual hugs. They mean so much.

We've had some good chats over the weekend and in a few minutes we're going for a big walk to talk some more. I wanted to reply to some of your questions and comments before we went though...

Ding: Mind telling us what the key issue or issues were for you?

Give me a few days mate and I'll compose my thoughts on this a bit better. I wanted to do this anyways to get some clarity for myself and also so I can re-read it over again when I start to question myself.

Becksi: It turns out that moving to the opposite side of the planet works wonders for a successful fade

I think that would be one of the best ways to fade for sure. I can't say to much but we too made a big move in the not to distant past. Damn I wish the timing of my "awakening" had of been better and coincided better with the move. We have residency for a few different countries so it could be an option down the road.

Vidiot: Damn, Stumpy; way to take the deep end of the pool, dude. You don't do anything half-assed, do you?

Yeah I know... that can be a curse sometimes because now it will make it harder to leave the truth. It helps that I love reading and have about 4 hours free a day. Plus my business has a bit of commuting involved so I can make use of that time listening to audiobooks.

Doc: Some days I still wish I'd have taken the "Blue Pill".

Thank you for saying this Doc, I feel exactly the same way some times and I'm glad this is normal.

DO NOT discuss your doubts and your awakening of TTATT to ANYONE who is a JW. You CANNOT TRUST anyone right now, and that is esp your fellow Elders. Your best friend may "turn you in" thinking they can "save you" -- snatch you out of the fire.

Good advice, thank you. It's very tempting to say things, especially other elder mates when they question things to you so I'll heed this advice closely.

I know of an Elder who turned in his Shepherding the Flock book and all of his TMS records to the COBE and said "I need a break". That was his last time in a Kingdom Hall. He & his wife never tried to explain anything. They never agreed to meet with Elders. They just took a break and are "waiting on Jehovah". STFU and move on!

Did this work for them??? Today we're going to look at all of our 'fading' options.

Dubstepped: A quote I like is to "run with those that search for truth, and run like hell from those that claim to have found it".

I like that.

Ding: The elders I know personally seem to have been selected based on their willingness to swallow whatever the organization tells them and on their ability to forget all about teachings and practices they used to push the minute those things become "old light."

Yes, I've worked with lots like that too. But I've also worked with many that are quite liberal and question things, albeit very carefully. On our elders body right now about half are questioning quite openly among each other things in the latest 3 broadcasting videos. We have even made fun of the uber-witnesses who lap it all up. We've also had some very open discussions about the overlapping generation teaching. I've had to be very careful during these conversations! I'm also collecting data to use if I ever need to if they come after me.

Village Idiot: Seems that your wife has one foot out the door already.

Yes I've been very slowly helping her question things for about 3 months now. I'll write more about that in another post.

Freddo: Any family/extended family in? Are you looking to "walk away" without DF/DA or wake up as many as you can?

Yes, but none that I care about much except for my parents. I have a very dysfunctional family. My dad is a full in, black and white, never question the GB kind of man - also an elder - so I am worried about that. My wife has no-one in on her side thank goodness!

Kairos: Do you have other JW relatives or close friends you are struggling to keep?

Our close friends are the ones we are most worried about losing. We have both lived in a few different countries, single and as a couple so we have awesome friends all over the world. This is my wife's biggest concern.

EdenOne: You must ask yourselves what are you willing to lose by leaving

Yes that has been going through our minds these last few days.

One thing I did was to look back into my life as a believer and consider if all the things I used to credit Jehovah for in my personal life couldn't have an explanation that didn't require a supernatural intervention.

Funny you should mention that because my wife brought exactly the same thing up this morning! We have had things happen in our life that 'seemed' like answers to our prayers. We're going to talk about them on our walk this afternoon.

Make no mistake, it's a very very powerful pull, and some begin to rationalize that they can live with their doubts, or stay because of the social aspects of the life as a Witness, or that the Watchtower isn't so bad, because they're only "imperfect men".

Boy you're right on with this too mate. Both of us have said this to each other already.

Oubliette: you are both very fortunate in that you have each other. Most of us were not so lucky.

Yes I can see that I'm very, very lucky. I've read about others that are 'awake' on their own and my heart goes out to them. What a horrible place to be stuck in! I honestly thought that was going to be me for a while and it made me sick to my stomach just thinking about it

Dubstepped: I honestly think that if we could discuss openly the truths that we find that contradicted "THE TRUTH", and that if the organization as a whole had the humility to say that they really don't know on this or that instead of trying to predict things or read into things, then maybe someday I could find a place in the organization.

I feel exactly the same way at the moment. But the more I read the older publications the more I see a startling pattern of lack of humility. I also know from a very recent experience of a close friend (that I can't go into or it will blow my cover), that the GB members individually don't really have any power to change anything even if they want to. He was told all he could do was "wait on Jehovah". That was a sad realization for me.

fleshyheadedmutant: When we finally realized it just couldn't be the truth, we were bewildered, depressed, and felt like the rug had been pulled from beneath us.

Exactly how we feel right now.

Thank you again everybody for the time you have taken to encourage us. I can't believe there are over 80 comments and lots of PM's too! I'm looking forward to being able to help someone else like me one day soon too. Well we're going for that walk now. I'll write some more tomorrow.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Good luck Stumpy, I know you've heard this a few times already but take it easy with you wife buddy. She's the greatest prize of all and worth all the time and patience necessary to win over.

Nothing wrong in not bringing up JW stuff until she does, even if it takes forever...

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Yup, what Nic said above. My own experience was that though Mrs Phizzy physically left with me, she was mentally in for a number of years in small ways. She still misses the friends we had, and the family times now denied us.

We are not DF'd or DA'd, we are simply "faders", but I am seen as a "spiritual danger" because even the many Elders who have spoken with me cannot answer my questions. In consequence we get no invites to JW family events.

Someone above said that you have to weigh up what you lose by leaving, true I suppose, but I had no choice. It is in me, genetically I think, to be a lover of truth, and to have personal integrity. So I simply had to walk away from the "Untruth". I could not teach or support that which was false, or even pretend to do so.

The family times we are excluded from are a small price to pay for freedom, happiness and the feeling of self-respect we have for rejecting untruth.

May you and your wife find the best life for yourselves from now on.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Phizzy you and I are in exactly! the same boat, and we have the same mental attitude too.

Thats the way I left, I lost my family tho not formally, they know I'm a danger, but I can NOT tolerate that which is false and the price for staying was too high. I miss my family so much, but freedom is worth it. My husband followed me out but was in mentally for a couple years.

It was really difficult, but truly, Give me liberty or give me death. Life is not worth living if you can't be free.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Stumpy hang in there. If you are a believer with deep convictions and compassion how else could you feel at this moment? Continue to be who you are and allow yourself to become an even better person.

I also was and remain a reader, back at the age of 21 my Bride and I were pioneer partners. On one beautiful spring day I was in service by myself and took a break. I parked under a shady tree. I was reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. The day before I had finished the section on the concentration camps. The medical experiments especially those performed on Children was really difficult to read about.

The parking lot I was in was part of the local Grammar School so I guess I was trying to clear my mind and reassure myself that we lived in a new era........ things were normal now.

Obviously I was a bit of an innocent back then.

It was recess and the children were out playing, running about......... shouting.............. acting silly. Then this feeling of dread came over me......I had been brought up to believe that even the children would die at Armageddon.

For the first time in my life I realized that this was an evil thing, an evil belief........... Armageddon was not justified, innocent lives murdered by sword carrying angels! Ridiculous! Just like that it was no longer my belief it was a fiction taught by a 19th century religion.

After reading about real evil my non belief in Armageddon was like a single thread that unraveled the entire belief structure. The Blood issue was next as we intended to start a family. I told my wife that I would not allow a simple transfusion to stand in the way of her health, mine or any child we raised. She agreed.

So now I was pioneering where the need was great and we had just thrown away two of the most important doctrines of the WTBTS. I was also holding down three positions plus in our small congregation. There was no one to talk to about this and no internet existed to do research. So I didn't know anything about the true history of the WTBTS, all of the flip flops etc. I just knew it wasn't the truth. Simple gut reaction.

We left and relocated quietly and no one realized we were leaving the JW's. In all honesty I had nothing to replace their belief at that time so..........we let it be.

I went from being one of those golden boys that JW's pointed out as a good example to someone who was probably referred to as "Whatever happened to brother GIO?"

That was 48 years ago.

Oh yes one last thing when we left......... our publishers cards went missing....since I was also the publishers card servant I can't imagine how that happened.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Giordano I love that! The whole story. Your moment of epiphany by the school....

And you being the publishers' card servant, that's classic!

• EdenOne
    EdenOne
    phizzy: [simply a fader, but] I am seen as a "spiritual danger" because even the many Elders who have spoken with me cannot answer my questions. In consequence we get no invites to JW family events.

My situation exactly.

Eden

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit