'Great Crowd' of 12 people get baptised at District Convention!!!

by burnedout 43 Replies latest jw experiences

• godrulz
    godrulz

Mormons have high biological growth rate (and probably higher conversion rate than JWs; they are the other large pseudo-Christian cult). Do JWs tend to have larger or smaller families? It seems to me that a good number may choose to not have a family in light of 'the end' or need to commit to field service, etc. Is it also true that many defect after they are 18 (common in most religious groups)? I hope to live to see the day when the WT shrinks significantly. I believe God's hand is against the organization, but He is also reaching out to individuals to truly redeem them by His Son.

• steve2
    steve2
    they are the other large pseudo-Christian cult).

I would have thought that prefacing a Christian group with the descriptor "pseudo" is a tautology - but that's just my view.

While I applaud the awakening of the greater crowd of humanity to the implausibility of the JW system of belief, I'd hope the awakening would extend to any religious group, "Christian" or other. The three great "snake-talking" believing religions - Judaism, Islam and Christianity - do not hold an exclusive hold on irrational and far-out beliefs (e.g., the talking snake of Genesis) so it is hardly worth singling out the JWs for their irrational and far-out beliefs, given the violent, blood-soaked monster stories of the Bible.

• Gayle
    Gayle

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20110610/GPG0406/106100506/Jehovah-s-Witnesses-meet-over-prophecies

22 baptized out of 7,900 in attendance. Almost .3%. Mostly JW teenagers? Small number.

• truthlover
    truthlover

Canada:

The DA --2800 in attendance -- 14 baptized, 2 from d2d witnessing..

The CA had 1 baptized this year and I do think it is because they are pushing singleness (due to lack of men) and of course, pioneering... for the sisters, and young couples may have one child, very seldom do you see a large family anymore.....

If you take a look waaay back, worldwide baptisms have not gone over the 300,00 mark (I think I remember that), even though the aver pubs keep going up -- so from 5 mill to 7 mill - new ones never increase in the baptismal number, wouldn't it follow that as aver pub numbers go up so should baptismal numbers.. ?? You would think that more in the field === more being baptized..... AND, aver pub from year prev added to new baptized ones NEVER add up -there is always 100,00 or so missing...

• truthlover
    truthlover

That should be 100,000 thousand

• godrulz
    godrulz

Revolving door?

• tec
    tec

They deserve to be baptised if they are that stoopid.

That's pretty heartless.

If they don't have enough sense to research what they are getting into with a religious organisation it is their own fault.

Perhaps. We all have to take responsibility for our own actions (or lack of actions).

I didn't research them. I just accepted a bible study, seeing no reason not to trust them to be as forthright as they appeared. Naive, sure. But I tend to trust people unless they give me a reason not to trust them. Besides, I didn't accept a bible study so I could join them. I just accepted a bible study. The rest sinks in bit by bit as you go along, ignoring those warning signals (if you even got warning signals) I still didn't get baptized, though I had decided I was going to, but quickly rescinded.

But I never googled them until after I made that decision.

So it isn't heartless to say that a person who got baptized is responsible for their own decision. I would have been, deceived or not. But it is judgmental to say that they deserved it (same as any victim of a lie or deceit deserves to be lied to and deceived?), or that they were stupid. One step and then another, and all of a sudden you're in a place you would never have dreamed of back at the beginning. It can happen to any of us, and it does.

As for the internet, not everyone even has access to a computer. Most do, I assume. But not all. I got my first computer ten years ago. It was YEARS later before I ever even used the internet. We are not all comfortable with advancing technology, lol.

Peace,

Tammy

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

Now that you mentioned it, I remember that at the last 2 days assembly (the circuit assembly I guess), in 2010, there was just 1 woman (aged around 50) who was baptized.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I love how they always rope off about 50 seats for baptismal candidates and in reality they don't even hit double digits! At ours about 9(?) I think were baptized, about .5% of attendance which is high.
    Interesting though...
    Only one of the candidates looked like a young 'born-in'...
    The rest seemed to be of the not-so-Internet-savvy age group of say 50+...
    ....not to say that you guys over 50 aren't Internet savvy!!

• Gayle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit