Music-related jw urban myths

by rebel8 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

I was researching a few....whew...did they ever bother to *think for themselves* or did they just believe every demon-related rumor they heard? (rhetorical question)

Stevie Nicks was a witch. False.

Hotel California was about The Church of Satan. False.

Stairway to Heaven had backmasking that says, "My sweet Satan". False!

I know someone who had a judicial committee because he listened to the latter.

^Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds--picture drawn by Julian Lennon while he was a child in school

"Get a life!" ~ Stevie Nicks

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Somebody had a JC for listening to Stairway???? And also, I thought Stevie Nicks was into Wicca. It never bothered me, even when I was a Dub, and it certainly won't bother me today, but is that not true?

NC

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yes to the jc--I am in jw fundieland where the most righteous superdubs live. I was told I could catch demons because I talked to the guy after the meeting in the hall!

According to Snopes and other sources, Stevie was not into Wicca.

• unshackled
    unshackled

I recall being told AC/DC stood for something like: After Christ, Devil Comes

Same kinda thing for KISS = Knights In Satan's Service

Another story was that John Denver (maybe Glen Campbell?) said in one of his concerts "If there are any Jehovah's Witnesses here, please leave." Pretty sure the story was John Denver because while growing up I thought he was a "bad man".

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Unbelievable. I've played stairway on my guitar for groups of dubs. LOL guess they were pretty liberal. Yeah, I just read that about Stevie Nicks. I never really cared before so I never looked into it. People would freak and say she was a witch, and I would reason with them that if it was wrong for me to listen to Stevie, then it was wrong for me to listen to most music since most musicians were part of "false religion" in some way and I didn't need to single her out!

NC

• rebel8
    rebel8

The John Denver thing is totally made up. Trace the rumor among dubs--it happened in different places in different years, plus other groups claim it was them who was discriminated against. I believe it's on Snopes.

Knights in Satan's Service, lol

I recall being told AC/DC stood for something like: After Christ, Devil Comes

I was told it stood for bisexuality and it had a Satanic S between AC and DC. Doubly sinful!

• unshackled
    unshackled

Yeah Stairway was labelled "demonic". Remember being a little afraid to listen to it in my early teens.

My older sister also lectured me once about listening to Pink Floyd's The Wall. "It's dark demonic music!" Pfffffft.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

WELL I guess I missed the stairway memo. I tended to block the music stuff, even though I was pretty faithful. It never made sense to me. I mean, if the lyrics were truly "demonic" then I understood. But some people would say---"they are homosexual, can't listen," and I'd say "In that case, we should never listen to ANY fornicator". Or she's a witch, don't listen, and I'd say then we shouldn't listen to ANYONE in false religion. That kind of thing. They liked to pick and choose, and I'd argue it was all the same so don't be hypocrites. Generally they just stopped the argument. And as far the song Rhianna, well then Little Mermaid was wrong too. I don't know. That satanic panic thing used to really irritate me. It seemed so naive and reactionary and I thought that "true Christians" shouldn't be so gullible. I know someone who thought their stereo was demon possessed because someone with questionable taste had played a tape in it. The irritations never stopped!

NC

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Jimi Hendrix was definitely a no no, as he was quoted as saying he channelled his music..Must be demons. More likely he was being modest and not taking the glory for his extraordinary talent.

Also I always thought ACDC was more to do with electrical power... As in FULL POWER!!!

• Palimpsest
    Palimpsest

I think the whole "Stevie Nicks is a witch!" thing came from her clothing and the fact that "Rhiannon" is loosely based on a mythical Welsh goddess. I remember being told several times to stop wearing broomstick skirts because "they look pagan." Silliness. And she's come out pretty aggressively in saying that she's not Wiccan and that she wishes people would stop saying that.

The one I always heard was that every time Michael Jackson grabbed his crotch, it was his way of saying F-U to Jehovah. He personally debunked that in interviews, but Dubs still believe it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit