Damn you Kingdom Melodies! Damn you to hell...

by unshackled 44 Replies latest jw friends

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I liked that one baptismal song. Sometimes it made me cry.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

We want to be free from all selfishness.
    We want to be fighters for this Reich
    Named Germany, our home.
    We will never forget that we are German.

These words can still bring a tear to the eye of an old timer when he recalls how he once sang them with great earnestness along with his comerades in the Hitler Youth

Music has long been used to rouse people to a cause and stir them into action. It reaches places that mere words can't and has is always utalized by dictators, political leaders and religious groups to sway the listeners reasoning skills from a place of logic to one of emotion. I still get a Kindom melody or two stuck in my head...but I also still sing "My Baloney has a first name....It's O .S. C. A. R... My baloney has a second name, it's M .A. Y. E. R"

This was intentionally planned by the advertizing folks on Madison Ave. to get millions to buy their brand...and it worked, but that doesn't mean they are the best out there...it only means I fell for it.

• Joliette
    Joliette

Those kingdom melodies are so damn depressing and brainwashing you can't get it out of your head.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

I have started replacing the lyrics during the song with my own (more biblically correct) lyrics lately, not very loud but mumbling it to myself. I've noticed that the lyrics in the new book are actually fairly generic and can be applied however which way you want. You could go to a baptist church and sing most of them without issue.

• prophecor
    prophecor

The music alone should have given me warning that something was not right with this form of worship. Conditioned not to appreciate gospel music, now that I'm out almost 20 years, gospel sounds so much more authentic as to worship than do any kingdom melodies. You just can't see what you don't hear till you been outside for a while.

• d
    d

I still have kingdom songs stuck in my hand at times. Especiall "Life without end at last" Oh dear the sheer agony.

• prophecor
  • prophecor
    prophecor

Ahem.....Ghost in the machine

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I recall when they announced from the platform that the present song book was being retired immediately and they handed out a purplish-,magenta new songbook. The bro explained that, unknown to WTBTS, horrible pagans such as Handel, Bach and Beethoven had written melodies and they must be expunged. As was typical in my KH, no one had ever heard of this trinity. He prounounced it beet-ho-ven, like the deep red vegetable used in red velvet cake and Harvard beets.

They had recordings made of the new songs. We never had recordings of the old ones in my time. I do recall "We are Jehovah's Witnesses" after all these many decades. Not a good memory.

• prophecor
    prophecor

trying playing all four at once for chilling effect

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit