Where do you think the US is headed?

by 2pink 64 Replies latest social current

• FlyingHighNow
  • FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

The gilded are parasites, feeding off the rest. When they have sucked us dry, they will leave and we will have a crumbling 2nd world country, that is unless someone can figure out how to stop them.

• 2pink
    2pink

flying high now-i just read an article on this...will post back later about it if i have time!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

Slowly but surely, people are beginning to awaken to what's going on here in the USA. Michigan elected a business man, who ran on the republican ticket, for governor. Even I did not realize what evil the man would wreak. A very conservative Catholic friend posted a youtube on his facebook about how our governor has arranged it so that if a town or city in Mich is failing financially, he can remove the elected officials and appoint one person to take over. Conservative voters waking up. Finally. But the moderate and libral voters need to wake up, too. I don't know what can be done to reverse this trend, but let's hope someone figures it out.

• FlyingHighNow
  • dgp
    dgp

2Pink, apologies accepted, and you accept mine if I misunderstood you. The core of my post was meant to give you an alternative way to look at the problems the United States are now facing.

I beg to disagree with you with respect to immigrants, to a point. America is a country that became great thanks to immigrants. It may be forgotten now, but, what happened to "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!".

All whites and blacks (and many other hues) are immigrants themselves or descend from immigrants. It is always the poor that move and try to thrive abroad, simply because they cannot do it at home. I don't question your figures, and I know for a fact that some immigrants do have "anchor babies" and do cost money. What I cannot agree with, as a matter of simple logic, is that immigration is a bad business for the country receiving the immigrants, for the simple reason that, if the advantages disappeared under the weight of the immigrants, then those people would go back home. You may not know it, but moving to the United States is not the great thing it used to be. There were thousands of Mexicans who returned home because they couldn't find jobs when the crisis began. But this didn't happen because the immigrants sucked the country dry. American politicians and bankers did that. The only immigrant involved may have been the lady who served them the drinks when they were plotting what to do.

There are immigrants in many other countries of the world, and I am sure every country complains about them; but every country that receives them, needs them. Spain, for one, has its share of them. Many are Latin Americans, who happen to be moving there these days, because, well, they don't have to learn another language. Or maybe they do. Anyways, Latin American governments pointed out once that Spain said nothing about immigration when droves of Spaniards left for Mexico, Cuba, Venezuela, Argentina and Uruguay, but it did complain a lot when the situation changed and migration went the other way.

That said, I remember the words of a German politician. If I'm not mistaken, his name was Stoiber. "We need to distinguish the immigrants we need from those who need us". Obviously he wanted the second kind. But that sort of weakens the idea that immigrants are a burden, don't you think?

Your children are legal immigrants, but they are immigrants all the same. Those illegal immigrants who pick apples or clean windows are making a contribution as well. In an economic sense, is there a difference between legal immigrants and illegal immigrants?

I don't question that Americans lose jobs when poor immigrants accept working for less. I understand that blacks complained a lot about that competition. A friend of mine who lives in Canada, an immigrant himself, complains about those nasty Filipino who work forever and accept even less than he. I wonder if employers complain. If there is a damage in terms of loss of jobs within America, those hiring managers are to blame. I agree with you that a program that brought workers into America, in a legal frame, would be a great thing. I'm sure immigrants wouldn't complain. Hiring managers would.

I may appear to be saying contradictory things, but the United States just can't be a country that is not interested in what happens abroad and does not attempt to act to change it to its own needs. It's just too big for that. One may deplore the awful mistakes America makes when intervening abroad, but the idea would be that they made sense. It would not be realistic to expect America not to act. America could act as a check and balance to an undemocratic country like China.

I can understand very well that you don't like what you see in the United States these days. I was trying to point out that sometimes what you see as a problem may not be so. China has always been among the most important countries in the world. For many years it considered itself to be the top country in the world, with enough reasons for that feeling. But then it sank. What is now the United States became important only in the last two hundred years. In that sense, Chinese hegemony is the natural state of things in the world, and American power is but an anomaly.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I believe free markets, democracy and the right of individuals is the best way to go and triumps anything else in the long run. As long as the west hold to those values i am not worried -- and if we do not, we really deserve to fail.

But all those good things are being eroded.

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. – Thomas Jefferson

In front of Jefferson's memorial, of all places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jUU3yCy3uI

• Podobear
    Podobear

An Iron Fist in a Velvet glove.... The U.S foreign policies are finally coming to roost. The dominant economies of the West are about to be "fisted" by emerging economies. The immorality of the past will pay a heavy price.

The U.S.A and the E.U will never recover, until the Greed that is intergral to their Economic policies is properly addressed. Pareto's Principle... 20% of the people own 80% of the wealth.. where will it get them when their economies finally fall apart?

A bit apocolyptic, but that is how it looks....

• watson
    watson

Why are they still trying to get into this country?

They've been watching too much American television.

• 2pink
    2pink

dgp-agreed that there are many frames to view the immigration situation through. this country was founded by and built up by immigrants, yes. but we are an entirely different beast now. 200 years ago we needed bodies to populate this place and built cities and towns, if it was going to become its own nation. today, we cannot support the bodies who are already here, much less more who are pouring in illegally.

i believe that economically, there is a difference between legal and illegal immigrants. legal immigrants will pay taxes on earnings, illegal immigrants will not. my children are being supported by ME; children of illegal immigrants are being supported by the state. truly, the only ones who are benefiting from illegal immigrants being illegal are business owners who are getting cheap labor. illegal immigrants are treated like crap and paid even worse. there needs to be a program to legalize them, so they gain rights while earning their own way here. too bad the US is too busy meddling in other nations' business to take care of its own....

podobear-i just watched a program for a class about the gap widening between the rich and the poor...the american "middle class" is on its way to extinction faster than i realized.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit