What If The Bible Had Never Existed???

by ziddina 82 Replies latest jw friends

• ziddina
    ziddina
    ..."The book has only been around for a couple thousand years..."

Tammy...

You do realize that I'm going to quote you on this, sometime in the future...?

"...The bible is as much a product of human society as human society is a product of the bible..."

Sooooo.... Sizemik...

I take it that you don't believe in any sort of "divine" origins for the bible, then???

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I take it that you don't believe in any sort of "divine" origins for the bible, then???

Zid . . . that's the first time I've been asked to consider that question as an "absolute" . . . and to be honest . . . I'm not wholly convinced either way.

I certainly do not see Genesis as an historical account of man's history . . . but then that may noy be it's divine purpose as many believe. Same goes for the Christian letters . . . I don't see them as an infallible blueprint for organised Christian worship. I am most convinced by the teachings attributed to Christ that something higher than human thought may be involved.

I see a lot of human frailty in the qualities and actions attributed to the Hebrew God which don't sit well . . . and attribute that to the social and cultural influences present at the time. I guess I have a long way to go in my search for answers. It is something I do think about reasonably often however and I am conscious of my need to research more. Thanks for prompting the self appraisal.

• trevor
    trevor

What If The Bible Had Never Existed? (Only 1 question mark is required)

Well Ziddina - if the Bible had never existed You would find another heavy book to bash people on the head with. This could have been an interesting thread but your manner of debating has put me off.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

You have to be more clear with that statement since:

1. The Bible it was created in the 4th Century A.D with the 76 books Hebrew and Greek Scriptures

2. Basically the Hebrew Scriptures are a mixure of myths along with the history of the Israelites. Some misogynists Hebrew nomads, borrowed myths from Sumerians and Egyptians and created a new religion

3. Unfortunately we have the 3 worlds basic religions Jewish, Christianity, Islam, to have their foundation upon myths

• poppers
    poppers

I'm thinking way outside the box here...

I looked up my thread title before starting this thread and guess what??

NO ONE appears to have EVER considered this question before...

I bet Minimus is embarrassed about this oversight.

• streets76
    streets76

If the bible had never existed, most people would still be full of shit -- different shit, but shit just the same.

• tec
    tec
    You do realize that I'm going to quote you on this, sometime in the future...?

You feel free, Zid. I've probably said it somewhere around here before anyway; probably will again as well.

I do not equate the existence of God with the creation of the Bible. I think that you do?

Peace,

Tammy

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Without the bible we would still have a faith based religion that hold to the oral traditions. So the church started by Jesus would still be intact some 2000 years later as it is now and the WTS would not have to have the bible embarrassing their theology but for the multitude of scriptural proofs agaist most of its doctrines.

respectfully,

dc

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

@Zid: this really depends on what we mean by "Bible." Are we talking about:

• what if the books were written and not compiled?
    • what if some books were written, others not?
    • what if the "Bible" still existed but was not the Bible as we know it? (for example, written differently, and therefore not the exact same identity)?
    • what if people didn't write it but still passed down stories orally or through art?
    • what if the old testament existed but not the new?
    • what if the story of Abraham was different or not existent? We would have NO Abrahamic religions (Jews/Christians/Muslims), but would we have alternative equivalents?
    • what if the books were written and compiled completely different?
    • what if it still existed but people reacted differently throughout history? (no dark ages, no evolution controversy, no witch hunts)

I think we'd still have religions (Hinduism is older than Judism anyway), but they'd be different, and the first major monotheist one would have come later. Also, women would probably have gotten more respect historically. More fertility and nature Godesses versus more male-superior Middle Eastern aggressive war gods.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Pika_Chu, you're a lot closer to the realities of human history and religious history than many other posters on this thread...

I'm going to reply to FlyingHighNow's question - and maybe a few others - on this thread, instead of starting a new one...

But in a different post 'cause the post box function is malfuctioning right now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit