A few Dawkins quotes to think about.

by AK - Jeff 328 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

Dawkins does have some great science stuff when he's not taking cheap shots at creationists. This for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO1a1Ek-HD0

-Sab

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

humans are animals, or more specifically: apes. when dawkins talks about animals, humans are included.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Atheism is truly the blind faith.

How many times can we kick this dead horse?

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    Atheism is truly the blind faith.

Not mine isn't!

I have no need to 'believe' the unprovable, trust the invisible beings that cannot be seen, heard, felt, touched, or smelled. I allow my rational mind to think, examine, expose what is unprovable.

If this is your definition of 'blind', then have at it. At least I don't go to bed each night speaking to a being whom no one can see, hoping for a salvation no one can prove, and dreaming of a savior that likely never walked the earth and cannot be shown to have gone anywhere else if he ever did. WOW.

Jeff

• cofty
    cofty

Sab - why do we prosecute people for cruelty to animals?

Of course they suffer, some even appear to grieve. The world is perfectly designed to maximise animal suffering. What an odd god!

• unshackled
    unshackled

Of course animals suffer....even if they don't know the word. And to debate the use of the word 'suffer' in this instance is just fanciful wordplay. Watch the documentary 'The Cove' and see if there's a better word for it.

And yes, they too grieve.

• thetrueone
  • ixthis
    ixthis

Who was the "atheists" "saint" before Dawkins?

• mindseye
    mindseye

Who was the "atheists" "saint" before Dawkins?

Atheists & freethinkers don't glorify their saints, they question them as every skeptic should. Having said that, there are models of atheist/agnostic intellectual integrity. One I can think of is Robert G. Ingersoll, the abolitionist civil war veteran. He wrote the book "Some Mistakes of Moses", and spoke openly about his agnosticism at a time when took much bravery.

And then there are a whole list of philosophers, but that could take a while.

On topic, I just read Dawkin's "God Delusion" a few months ago. The guy is a great writer and offers the most lucid arguments for atheism I've ever read. My only issue with him, as with many of the "New Atheists" like Hitchens, is that they tend to be very reductionist in their arguments against religion. Their main target should be fundamentalism, but they tend to conflate other religious & spiritual traditions along with it. That is simplistic, IMO.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Sab - why do we prosecute people for cruelty to animals?

Law is to uphold justice and it is unjust to inflict harm to the innocent even animals. Some tree huggers may say it's because the animals feel pain, but those laws are designed to protect innocent life. Besides it's more about conscious thought than appearence of pain anyway. Do we prosecute people for being cruel to Cockroaches? I destroyed an entire colony of ants that invaded my house a few months back should I go to prison for ant genocide? Do ants feel pain?

Slippery sloap indeed.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit