Camping ''bewildered'' and ''mystyfied'', but check who is taking blame...

by Aussie Oz 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

http://www.670kboi.com/rssItem.asp?feedid=118&itemid=29671679

NEW YORK) -- Harold Camping is "mystified" and "a little bewildered" that the Rapture did not go as he predicted, an associate of the California preacher told ABC News.

Tom Evans, a board member of Camping's Family Radio International, said that Camping's wife told him her husband is at their home in Oakland and has no intention to speak or issue any statement on Sunday or Monday.

Camping's wife described him as being "somewhat bewildered" and "mystified" that events did not unfold on May 21 as Camping had predicted, Evans said.

Evans said his personal position is that the public is owed an apology and he wants the board -- and Camping -- to meet on Tuesday to figure out what to say and do next.

Camping, 89, had pinpointed May 21, at 5:59 p.m. as the exact time the Rapture would occur, when those chosen by God would ascend to heaven while cataclysmic earthquakes would begin to rock earth. He spread the word on billboards, posters, fliers and digital bus displays across the country.

Robert Fitzpatrick of New York had put his money where his faith is: The 60-year-old retiree spent $140,000 -- almost everything he had -- on hundreds of billboards proclaiming the Armagedon that Camping predicted.

When it didn't come, he was standing in New York's Times Square, surrounded by jeering tourists in a drizzling rain.

"I can't tell you what I feel right now," he said. "Obviously, I haven't understood it correctly because we're still here."

Copyright 2011 ABC News Radio

The guy isn't even waiting for Harold to say anything... he figures he misunderstood!

oz

• cantleave
    cantleave

When a false prophet gets it wrong - the followers will be blamed . You wait Camping won't apologise.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Obviously, I haven't understood it correctly

I feel a bit sorry for the poor bugger . . . it doesn't get much worse on the humiliation front . . . getting jeered at 6.05 in the middle of time square . . . plus coughing up 140K . . . maybe he should be on suicide watch.

The above words are ones you will NEVER hear from the WTS . . . at least he had the courage to admit it.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I hope Harold comes out and apologises, saying that he was sincere but really got it wrong big time, and makes amends by winding up his 100 million dollar empire and distributing the finds to those who got suckered in.

wouldn't hold my breath though...

oz

• luna2
    luna2

I get the impression that Camping was sincere. He wouldn't have put himself out there the way he did if it was only a money-making scam. He would have done like the WTS and their GB and kept his face and name out of the public eye (while issuing statements proclaiming that he did so because of his humble nature or some other self-serving BS).

Having come from the same place of belief in something and devotion to it and then finding out that it was crap, I have nothing but sympathy for these people. I hope Camping and his board don't retreat without issuing an apology and maybe reimbursing some of these people before riding off into the sunset with their millions.

• steve2
    steve2

Give the old man a well-deserved break. Change his diaper and tuck him up in his bed. He needs a nice long sleep like other decent men and women his age.

He owes no one an apology. On the other hand, the younger idiots who willingly swarmed after this worn-out old codger should apologize for their stupidity and start getting real jobs.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I have little sympathy with Camping given his history.

There's an illuminating article HERE. Ignoring the harsh words the author uses about him (e.g. 'liar' and suggesting demon-possession), just look at the history, Camping's methods and how similar they were to the WTS' - especially in the old days - like urging people to leave their churches because the churches were rejected and given over to Satan in a certain year, where believers spend their life's savings or sell their homes, promoting dates but leaving wiggle room, his excuses when predictions failed, and new books with 'new light' superseding previous books with 'old light.'

Patterns repeat, hey?

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

It just shows us what happens when we surrender our common sense and give others the right to tell us what to believe.

• Heaven
    Heaven

It also goes to show you what happens when you actually believe the Bible to be literally true. Any agenda can be backed up by scripture. That's gotta be someone's first clue there's something wrong with it. But apparently many don't get that.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    It just shows us what happens when we surrender our common sense and give others the right to tell us what to believe.

I think I will print that comment and paste it up in my office! It sums up JW's and the WTS perfectly.

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit