Camping ''bewildered'' and ''mystyfied'', but check who is taking blame...

by Aussie Oz 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

@ keyser~ oh they are!! My dad said to me on Saturday "Hey, it's 6 o'clock and I'm still here!" with a chuckle and a head shake. The irony is that my dad knows about 1975... I've even shown him Rutherford's timetable... He finds ways to refute even THAT.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Let's come up with some excuses reasons Camping could give his church.

It did happen, but it was invisible. The elect were sealed on May 21st and will be raptured any time now.

God is still using the Julian calendar.

It did happen, but no one was good enough to be taken.

God has given us a forty year tarrying time to convert more people.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Good thing I didn't sell out. I am waiting for a government-caused Armageddon that causes the US Toilet Paper Dollar to collapse (and take down the whole world with it), along with new regulations passed in 2010 that will create shortages. At which point, all the religious sellings-out will be counterproductive. At least with a government-caused Armageddon, there are signs one can watch for. True, they can delay it by shuffling their accountings (like the US debt ceiling, now pushed back to August 2). But, it's only a matter of time before it happens, and the longer they push it back, the worse it will be when it does happen.

With a God-caused Armageddon, it is pure guesswork. There is nothing to look for. You prepare, it can delay a thousand years and leave you holding the bag. It delays, you are ill prepared for the real world. And there is no way of knowing whether a cluster of disasters is coincidence, the HAACP system run by those bent on creating Agenda 21+, or if it really is God-caused Armageddon this time. You guess, and if you guess wrong, you are screwed.

• Gayle
    Gayle

I don't feel sorry for Camping,,he seems to like his lime light. Feel a bit sorry for some of the followers. Okay, sad some lost some money. But for most of them, it wasn't like they invested decades of their lives into this. Not too many youths had to invest their whole youth and other sacrifices into that mess.

On the other hand, I'm glad it happened, and made such media attention. Because, this incidence, will cause hopefully many to be more "buyer beware" toward JWs a'calling with their similar 'good news' lies. A lot of media at the same time, in the same sentence, spoke of the Camping crew and JWs in the same breath. More people at least are informed about JWs, and some may do a little research about JW facts.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Robert Fitzpatrick of New York had put his money where his faith is: The 60-year-old retiree spent $140,000 -- almost everything he had -- on hundreds of billboards proclaiming the Armagedon that Camping predicted.

When it didn't come, he was standing in New York's Times Square, surrounded by jeering tourists in a drizzling rain.

"I can't tell you what I feel right now," he said. "Obviously, I haven't understood it correctly because we're still here."

Tragic but truly many Jehovah's Witnesses have given up much more: education, careers, marriage prospects, sexual expression, the chance to have children, and contact with the children they do have, money, time, the freedom to think for themselves.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

This particular failure might help people to realize the futility of paying attention to these Apocalyptic End Time charlatans like Camping,

Jack Van Impe and the JWS. One thing to take note is these failures wont hurt Camping's bottom line, he sold books on his previous prediction

in 1994 and he's attracting attention toward his radio show now $$$. Unfortunately just like the JWS and WTS Corporation, because they use the bible

as a source of their predictions, this cultivates a believability factor to these announcements. Remember the bible is the good book full of truth

and wisdom. I'm expecting the media attention will help increase listeners to this radio show even if the event never occurred.

Exploiting people's emotions is what these charlatans do, the WTS had been doing this for over a century, creating both wealth and power.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Good point there, sbf. At $140K he got off cheap compared to born-in JWs.

• rocketman
    rocketman

This whole Camping thing could hurt the jw effort to recruit new members. This thing was given such wide publicity and its failure now draws attention to all such Doomsday predictions. Individual jws may chuckle, but this thing could really hinder their efforts.

• Satanus
    Satanus

suicide = self rapture.

S

• sd-7
    sd-7

I was careful to try and point out the connection to the JWs with my wife on Saturday. But I don't think it'll go anywhere but over her head, just because it's easier not to see it on your plate, because you have to eat it.

--sd-7

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit