Should Israel cede Land to Palestine at the pre 1967 markers and recognize Palestinian Statehood.

by designs 82 Replies latest social current

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I've backed it up with the two most recent examples of "land for peace", but whatever. The real dispute isn't about land, it is about the existence the Israeli state itself. So long as a large percentage of the surrounding people teach their children that Jews are "monkeys and pigs" and that it is a religious duty to murder them and destroy their state, then there will be no peace even if Israel cedes itself down to the size of football field. If Israel cedes its military positions in the West Bank, it will quickly fill up with Iran supplied rockets to rain down on its people. For Israel to cede, would be suicide.

• TD
    TD
    The Arabs were kicking Israel's butt during the 1967 war when the U.S. stepped in and overwhelmed their forces.

We're talking about the Six-Day War? U.S. military involvement is not what I remember.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

We're talking about the Six-Day War?

That one was a head-scratcher. I am not aware of US forces in that conflict.

• JeffT
    JeffT

The Arabs were kicking Israel's butt during the 1967 war when the U.S. stepped in and overwhelmed their forces.

Huh?

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

MYTH

“The United States helped Israel defeat the Arabs in six days.”

FACT

The United States tried to prevent the war through negotiations, but it could not persuade Nasser or the other Arab states to cease their belligerent statements and actions. Still, right before the war, President Johnson warned: “Israel will not be alone unless it decides to go alone.”16 Then, when the war began, the State Department announced: “Our position is neutral in thought, word and deed.”17

Moreover, while the Arabs were falsely accusing the United States of airlifting supplies to Israel, Johnson imposed an arms embargo on the region (France, Israel’s other main arms supplier, also embargoed arms to Israel).

By contrast, the Soviets were supplying massive amounts of arms to the Arabs. Simultaneously, the armies of Kuwait, Algeria, Saudi Arabia and Iraq were contributing troops and arms to the Egyptian, Syrian and Jordanian fronts.18

• Giordano
    Giordano

The US wasn't involved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War

"The Arabs were kicking Israel's butt during the 1967 war when the U.S. stepped in and overwhelmed their forces."

Israel defeated Egypt, Jordan, Iraq, and Syria in 6 days even though out gunned and against a much larger army while having to fight on multiple fronts. It's a well documented war. Including the fact that Isreal attacked first with a massive air attack on Egypts air force.

Allegations of military support from the U.S, U.K. and U.S.S.R. have been disputed. In fact It has also been claimed that the U.S.S.R., in support of its Arab allies, used its naval strength in the Mediterranean to act as a major restraint on the U.S. Navy. [ 105 ] [ 106 ]
  • botchtowersociety
  • EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

I've backed it up with the two most recent examples of "land for peace", but whatever.

You said all. Prove "all" or let it go.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I stand by my statement.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

In 1967 Israel handed the involved Arab countries their asses on a platter.

http://www.sixdaywar.co.uk/timeline.htm

I think this was a very bold move by Obama, but it won't matter one whit. Israel could give half it's land, and the Arab, let's just get honest and say Muslim, countries would STILL not agree that Israel should exist.

Iran mainly does not want peace with Israel, and they are the #1 troublemakers in the ME. #2 are the Saudis, though they are not open with their troublemaking.

It seems to me to be a move by Obama to pressure Israel and the Palestinians back to the table, and to stop the building of settlements.

Also a good faith gesture that the US is not out to destroy muslim countries.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit