To My Fellow Atheists...

by Pika_Chu 77 Replies latest social humour

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Peace and love to you, Tammy

Peace and love Tammy

On another note I set up a meeting with an elder to talk about my experience with God. I am asking him to come alone and in casual wear (he agreed). He was always a dear friend to me and I would like him to know that I am ok now.

-Sab

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Sab.

You just love to stir the pot, don't you?

LOL !

• sabastious
    sabastious
    You just love to stir the pot, don't you?

At part of it is that I will admit as much, but then again there is a method to my madness.

(as a side note I don't think I have ever accepted defeat).

-Sab

• d
    d

I do not believe in God because of lack of sound evidence. I think God is just a manifestin of the human subconscious he exists in the mind in my opionion of the mentally distrubed.I think as time goes on, and science becomes more advanced, God will cease to exist and this will prove to help move our society onward.Religion is a cancer on to the world.

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

@d: ditto. Though I think God is a sort of state of mind, meaning he exists, but only as a theoretical concept. In other words, inside a believer's head.

• tec
    tec
    whoops, sorry, another thought here: I agree with Tammy that reward should not be the basis of morals. Love should.

I missed this, sorry :)

At the same time as saying this (love should be the basis of morals), some people need the reward/punishment/rules in order to remind and motivate them to do the right or loving thing. Like a child; until such a time that child grows in maturity. I don't think we should knock the people that need this still (not saying that you were doing that, Pika). I still look to rules in many situations. I still ask myself, 'What would Christ think about what I just did or didn't do?" Sometimes I just think about what the loving thing is to do. And sometimes love just compels me without having to think about it.

The more we change what is inside of us to love/light, then the more that we can disregard the reward/punishment motivation, and love motivate our actions. But that is rarely something we are born with, or learn overnight, or even quickly. If we learn this, I think most of us tend to do so over time.

Peace to you,

Tammy

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

That type of Love is NOT the love of God.

Tthat is, at best, a poor manifestation of it, a "selfish love".

Love has very little to do with "working together for the common good".

Can you please explain to me what love is then. I truly don't know, I'm in the autistic spectrum and have no need for nor feelings of "love" or affection, I can mimic the actions associated with them though. I can reason logically and see through people, I'm not swayed by the typical actions of a car salesman for example or love bombing in the organization. If love is 'in' somebody and/or is a gift of God why do people with autism have no need or feelings for it? And why does all love seem self-serving?

Love for me is an action that allows me to survive and to have a modicum of normal life and that is what I see love is all about around me when you boil things down. Love for man/wife because you want to have somebody to provide you with the basic human needs - sustenance, protection and procreation. Love for God because you want Him/Her/It to provide you with eternal life and because you're scared of him because somebody told you or you want an explanation for things you can't explain yourself.

• tec
    tec

Anony Mous:

Selfless love is the giving of yourself (time, effort, things - even your own life) for the benefit of another person. You want to give to them for their benefit, simply because you love them. You don't need anything in return. You would give anything of yourself to see them happy, or at peace, or content, or safe; whatever.

Hope that helps a bit.

Peace to you,

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit