I don't get this...Jesus' birth and death

by poopsiecakes 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Forgive me if this topic has been raised before - and I'm still working it out in my head so bear with me...

Conventional religions, including JW's, teach that Jesus was 30 when he was baptized and began his ministry which lasted 3 years. The year of Jesus' death is said to be AD 33, which would make him 33. And that's what I've always understood...

Even the WT of April 2011 says that according to 'modern calculations' the year of his birth is thought to be 2 BC and wikipedia says possibly as far back as 7 BC.

I've never heard anyone argue the fact that there's no way these dates add up. I'm no math whiz but can someone explain this one? The bible (for what that's worth) seems pretty clear about his age at his baptism and how long his ministry lasted - although I could be wrong and only remembering my WT upbringing indoctrination. I remember there being no doubt that Jesus was 33 when he died in AD 33.

Anyone care to weigh in?

• tec
    tec

I'm sure that his birth and age at death is a best guess, and I do know that some people have different ages. I think they're all around thirty-ish though.

Tammy

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think you can sort of* trust his age at baptism and death (30 and 33 respectively). So if he was born 2AD he died in 35AD. If he was born 7BC he died 26AD. Since nobody knows for sure, I think the traditional date is the default.

(*if you're going to take any of it as historical fact in the first place)

• Ding
    Ding

Luke 3:1 says John the Baptist started preaching and baptizing in the 15th year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar.

He began his reign as co-regent with Augustus Caesar in 12 AD.

That would mean that Jesus was baptized in 26 AD.

Luke 3:23 says Jesus was 30 when he was baptized.

That would mean he was born in 4 BC (there was no year 0).

Not everyone agrees with this, of course, but it is certainly within the time frames mentioned above.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Most things like this question can be googled. I tell you what, whether a Christian believes that Jesus was a man or a god or both or whatever, he is supposed to be the all-important thing about being "Christian." You would think something so basic as his age wouldn't raise so much controversy.

Luke only says Jesus was "about" or "around" thirty years of age. The writers of the myths had to make him at least thirty because of Jewish traditions, but we won't digress.

The problem comes with all that information about when Jesus was born:

Some experts say he was born a few months before Herod's death, others say a few years. Many say a few months would have made him over 31 at the start of his ministry. They try to fit in any known data about some census taken and some try to fit a comet into the data to explain the strange observances of the "star."

JW's are not the only ones who use the book of Daniel and complicated forumas to figure out when Jesus had to arrive to fulfill some kind of prophecies. So there's that.

Also, no real time references are given in the four (sometimes conflicting) Gospel accounts, but references to the Passover are counted to determine how many Jesus observed. Two are known, another unnamed festival was assumed to be Passover.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

I suppose it's not a terribly interesting subject, but I find it really weird that once again you can't prove something as simple as Jesus' age at any point of his life anywhere in the bible, let alone anywhere else.

I guess it's just that I grew up believing that he was 30 at baptism, 33 when he died. I remember turning 30...and 33...and comparing myself. Quite silly in retrospect but since I've started using critical thinking skills when it comes to EVERYTHING I believed, the little things are the things that seem to niggle at me the most. Because really, if the little things don't stand up, what chance does the big things have?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Poopsie, dear, wonder on this, instead. I bought a l.75L of Macallan 12 yesterday for $89. A 750 mL bottle was $47.

• poopsiecakes
  • djeggnog
    djeggnog

@poopsiecakes:

Conventional religions, including JW's, teach that Jesus was 30 when he was baptized and began his ministry which lasted 3 years. The year of Jesus' death is said to be AD 33, which would make him 33. And that's what I've always understood...

Even the WT of April 2011 says that according to 'modern calculations' the year of his birth is thought to be 2 BC and wikipedia says possibly as far back as 7 BC....

Anyone care to weigh in?

I suppose it's not a terribly interesting subject, but I find it really weird that once again you can't prove something as simple as Jesus' age at any point of his life anywhere in the bible, let alone anywhere else.

Jesus died on Nisan 14, 3793 A.M. (Thursday/Friday), April 4, 33 AD, Julian, April 2, 33 AD, Gregorian, about the ninth hour" (Mark 15:34-37), or 3:00 pm. We know this because the Bible indicates that the following day (Nisan 15, 3793 A.M. (Friday/Saturday), April 5, 33 AD, Julian, April 3, 33 AD) was considered by the Jews to be a "high" day (John 19:31, KJV), a "great" day (John 19:31, NWT), since it was a double sabbath, which was why the day before the festival of unfermented cakes (Matthew 26:17; Luke 22:7) was called "Preparation" (Matthew 27:62; Mark 15:42; Luke 23:54).

It is possible to determine the calculated date or period when Jesus was born by using events in the Bible, one of these events being that Jesus’ second cousin, John the Baptist, the son of Jesus’ mother, Mary's first cousin, Elizabeth (by Zachariah), was born six months earlier than was Jesus (Luke 1:26).

It is a historical fact that Augustus Caesar died the 19th day of August, 14 AD, Julian, or August 17, Gregorian, on which day his stepson and son-in-law, Tiberius Caesar, succeeded him as the Roman emperor. Luke tells us at Luke 3:1, 2, that it was during the 15th year of the rule of Tiberius Caesar that John began his baptism work at the age of 30.

This 15th year came to an end on August 16, 29 AD, Gregorian calendar, and Luke went on to add as details that Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea, which he was from 27 AD through 37 AD and that Herod Antipas, Herod’s son, was district ruler of Galilee until the year 40 AD.

Herod’s brother, Philip, was the district ruler of the countries of Ituraea and Trachonitis until 34 AD, and Lysanias was district ruler of Abilene, in the days of chief priest Annas and of Caiaphas, which spanned the years 18 AD through 36 AD.

So if John’s cousin, Jesus, is six months younger than he, and Jesus also began his ministry at the age of 30 (Luke 3:23), then it would have to have been in April of 2 BC when John the Baptist was born since he had been born six months earlier than was Jesus, meaning that Jesus was born some six months later in October of 2 BC.

The eighth division of Abijah to which division John's father Zechariah belonged as a Levite priest (1 Chronicles 24:10; Luke 1:5) served as priests during the Jewish month of Tammuz (June/July), so if John was conceived by his mother Elizabeth in the latter part of June, and John was six months older than was his cousin, Jesus (Luke 1:36), then we know that John was born in the Jewish month of Abib (Nisan) (March/April) 3759 A.M. (2 BC, Julian/Gregorian), and then, adding six months, that Jesus must have been born in the Jewish month of Ethanim (Tishri) 3759 A.M. (September/October) (2 BC, Julian/Gregorian), for Jesus would have had to have been conceived by Mary during the Jewish month of Tebeth 3759 A.M. (December/January, 2 BC, Julian/Gregorian) since Elizabeth had conceived some six months earlier during the Jewish month of Tammuz 3758 A.M. (June/ July, 3 BC).

So from this scriptural evidence I cite here, we are then able to deduce that John was born during the spring in the Jewish month of Abib (Nisan), 2 BC, and so, knowing John was six months older than Jesus, by moving six months forward we can also deduce that Jesus was born during the fall in the Jewish month of Ethanim (Tishri-September/October) in that same year, 2 BC. The difference in the number of years between the year of Jesus' birth, 3759 A.M. (2 BC), and the year when his ministry began, 3789 A.M. (29 AD), is 30 years. The following are the dates of the four (4) passovers that Jesus celebrated during his 3-1/2 year ministry:

First passover [John 2:13]

Nisan 14, 3790 A.M. (Nisan 14, 30 AD [Tuesday, Wednesday])

April 5, 30 AD, Julian

April 3, 30 AD, Gregorian

Second passover [John 5:1]

Nisan 14, 3791 A.M. (Nisan 14, 31 AD [Tuesday/Wednesday])

April 25, 31 AD, Julian

April 23, 31 AD, Gregorian

Third passover [John 6:4]

Nisan 14, 3792 A.M. (Nisan 14, 32 AD [Sunday/Monday])

April 14, 32 AD, Julian

April 12, 32 AD, Gregorian

Fourth passover [John 13:1] and date of Jesus’ death

Nisan 14, 3793 A.M. (Nisan 14, 33 AD [Thursday/Friday])

April 3, 33 AD, Julian

April 1, 33 AD, Gregorian

@djeggnog

• Honesty
    Honesty

djeggplant, your dates don't add up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit