Did you miss out on "higher education" when a JW but go to college later?

by Mad Sweeney 42 Replies latest jw friends

• av8orntexas
    av8orntexas

I earned just over 50 credits at Boston College, and then trashed it to regular pioneer.

Winning !!!!! NOT.

I just turned 34,love my job and I'm attending a local uiniversity to try to finish what I started. I will admit Everytime I meet a witness with a degree I get pissed. Not at them,but more at the fact that I let people talk me out of it and did what others suggested rather than THINK for myself and be my own person.

A friend from Bethel is what got me to go back. Added him to my facebook page and noticed he had got his B.A. . Being that he went to bethel I just thought that was huge,because back in the mid 90's when I was in HS it was the old "Why would you invest four years in Satans system ?" line. And if you went to Bethel...then surely you didn't go to a four year school. Where is your faith in Jehovah to provide ?

Here we are....16 damn years later.

• jean-luc picard
    jean-luc picard

I should be taking mine at the end of this year. Fingers crossed. (Oh, isn't that forbidden?)

I too am being sponsored by my employer. ( sounds an interesting and widespread option )

• alias
    alias

Yes and decided to go back to school in my mid-20s with a lot of heart-wrenching guilt about it too (was still a in).

Ridiculous!

alias

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Thank you for ALL of your inspirations.

• JRK
    JRK

I was DF'ed in 2001. I enrolled in college even though I KNEW I was gonna die. I might as well get an education. In 3 1/2 years I got my AS and BS with a 4.0 GPA. And I found out that the org was a fraud in the process. A win-win situation.

JK

• JRK
    JRK

Paying for student loans can be a bitch though.

JK

• Quendi
    Quendi

Considering how little many JWs know, and how much of what they do absorb comes from WTS literature, is it any wonder so many are frustrated by their lack of fulfillment and opportunities. But when I reflect on this I am reminded of a bumper sticker I saw once. It read, "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." Jehovah's Witnesses would do well to keep that in mind and not let the WTS keep them in chains. That reminds me of another advertising slogan that the United Negro College Fund frequently used: "A mind is a terrible thing to waste." Now that I'm on a roll, I'll conclude with this. A friend told me about a poster he saw on a bulletin board in a college campus building. It showed Jesus standing over the words "He came to take away our sins...not our minds."

Quendi

• nugget
    nugget

yes I did now studying psychology degree..

• sister x
    sister x

Yeah. I just started college when I started studying at 22... put it off for 5 yrs.. I graduate this year (at 28) with my bachelors in nursing and plan on starting my Masters next yr. I was told at the meetings that I didnt need to go to school for nursing... that nurses wouldnt be needed in the new system.

Michele

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I love this thread because it shows that even though the Borg can knock you down, you can always get back up.

Congratulations to all who finally got your degree, and best wishes to those of us who are still working on it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit