Did you miss out on "higher education" when a JW but go to college later?

by Mad Sweeney 42 Replies latest jw friends

• Haulin Oats
    Haulin Oats

I went. English 101 was THE greatest class in the universe (that and a communications class). It was there I discovered the world of reasoning/logical thinking. I never finished my degree, but its inevitable if I wish to move up with my current company. Meh. At least I don't have to worry about taking time away for "spiritual things". When I was an active JW, the only option was to either install flooring with my ol' man, or go to diesel mechanic school. <Cringes>

I liken the frequency of WTBTS study to someone who HAS to double check that the grass is still green every couple of days. YES, ITS STILL GREEN, you don't have to study a book 3 times a week to reinforce the color of grass. You could forget about it for 6 months and still know that its green. Just relax..... Else, Satan might plant the seeds of doubt that its really orange grass out there...God help us! ORANGE GRASS!

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

I am working on it. I should be starting this fall if everything goes accordingly. I will start with an AS in Mechanical Engineering, and get my BS later, hopefully also in engineering.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I missed out. Seems too late to do it now (for me). But my kids won't miss out!!

• Quendi
    Quendi

I originally went to college at the University of Alabama from 1974 to 1977. I studied metallurgy there, but dropped out before earning my degree. I was convinced that Armageddon was right around the corner and I had burned out on school as well. Eventually I moved away from Alabama to Colorado where I pioneered. But the desire for a college education had never left me. So when the WTS came out with its "new light" on the meaning of the word "generation" back in 1995, I used that as the reason to return to college and get my degree.

I first went to community college and then transferred to the University of Colorado where I majored in geography and mathematics. Of course, I got the warning visit from the elders. But I was in my early forties then, and told them that I knew what I was doing and nothing and nobody was going to get in my way. That shut them up. The strange thing about the visit was that one of the elders held a Ph.D. in geology, yet here he was in my home trying to tell me that a college education was not worth the time or trouble!

I graduated with a BA in geography and mathematics back in 2002. It was one of the proudest moments in my life, especially when I was asked to give a commencement address during the Geography Department's recognition ceremonies. Quite a few people came to my graduation, including some from the local congregations. They were all happy for me as well. I was 46 years old when I got my degree. So I would say it is never too late to go back to school, and I would urge people like DesirousOfChange to think about it.

Quendi

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I was poised to get a court order so my father could not pull me out high school to bag groceries. He died after I went to the principal.

College was my main focus. I overempahsized its powers. College does not remove patterns established during severe abuse or take away the pain of a missed childhood. College does college very well. I had extremely difficult in the beginning adjusting but I did very well. So well that I was awarded a full merit scholarship at the third ranked law school.

I became disabled and did not learn PCs. Now I'm attending community college taking courses. The state pays for most of it. I'm almost sixty and usually the oldest one around. The course has been a struggle. I love the contact with younger people. There are pros and cons to going early and late in life. Older people are so much more focused. 75% of my classmates were not attending a rigorous class, doing homework or making arrangements with him. He is very flexible for a prof. He remarked to me that his evening students are completely different. Our brains aren't fully developed at that age.

I notice a few things about being older. Once I got past early college, I selected courses I liked. And I like doing well. It is funny to be pushed into a high school math state again. Since I have so much experience and have read about my interests for decades, following certain scholars, I am wiser. I am less likely to retain rote information. I had no clue what to do after college. Others were going to law school so I did. Now with there being no difference between an A or an A-, I am less stressed about grades. I can focus on what will help me concretely.

I admire any former Witness who makes reparations to themselves by going to college or pursuing any field to gain expertise. Many fields are cool and pay well but do not need college.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Yup. Going to Long Beach in the fall to work on my undergrad!

• InOregon
    InOregon

Yes, I am going to college at the age of 54.

• Expanded-Mind
    Expanded-Mind

Interesting to read all the posts... I became a Witness in the early 70's and passed on going to college (yes, Armaggedon was imminent!), even though my parents (not JWs) would have paid for it.

I am in my 50's now --- have been in school full time since June 2009 --- and am finishing my last semester of full time school toward my BA/History major (finals are next week). I have one summer course to complete to get my degree, but will start looking for a full-time job and am hopeful (keeping fingers crossed! <laugh!>).

Best of luck to all of you... and, as has been said before, its never too late to go back (or start) if that is one of your dreams!

Best,

Expanded-Mind

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I was in HS in the late 60's...big A was coming, so I dropped out of school...who needs a diploma in the new world! All my life I felt I had to work twice as hard as others by fear of losing my job. When it came to talk about my academic record...I was ashamed. Nevertheless, I did very well for myself, working 28 years for the same company - making it from a warehouse worker to training and product manager for a very large consumer electronics company. Today I work for a competitor who has been courting me for a while and I have applied for a promotion where I will have to compete with university graduates. Although I can outperform most of them, I dread the moment when I will have to explain my lack of credentials...to the surprise of many who believe I acquired my public-speaking and managerial skills from a university.

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

Gah, so frustrating to hear so many of us missing out on it, huh? I did, though I am back, and I'm only 20 so I didn't loose much, but I had actually been accepted at West Point(high test scores and aptitude tests), and I wanted to go buuuuut I was 16 and actually believed in their lies.

Never again.

And goodluck to you all wise older people who are going back! That's pretty awesome that age wasn't a deterrent (as it shouldn't be!). Glad to hear you guys are trying to progress!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit