Introducing Myself

by StandFirm 151 Replies latest jw friends

• StandFirm
    StandFirm

Wow! 3 more responses just in the time it took me to write the last one.

still thinking: I don't believe that the organization states that sites like this must be avoided when one already is familiar with the ideas presented. And no, I do not count time here. This is more of a hobby.

Maze: Hi there! Good to be here and give it a try.

GL Tirebiter: I will really try to be civil too. I've seen some ridicule of our religion here, (which is, by the way, against Posting Guideline 2 "Inciting hatred on the basis of ... religion"), just from reading, but, everyone, let's please disagree civilly. People who ridicule usually do so because their own cases is too weak to stand on the basis of logic.

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.
    , but, everyone, let's disagree civilly, okay?

Good luck on thatLaughing 1

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Interesting!

I like to practice defending my beliefs against opposing beliefs, voiced by whomever

My own beliefs vary over time and are always available for adjustment, preferably by reality; possibly by logic. The beliefs of all religions I know also change over time, just not often as fast as jw beliefs.

You replied to The Love Doctor

The Bible in the case of disfellowshipping also does not make exceptions in the case of family members

Where does the Bible say anything about disfellowshipping?

• Igot2bme
    Igot2bme

This is going to be interesting.

• sizemik
    sizemik

Hello and Welcome standfirm . . .

I read a large amount of opposing and apostate material on the internet, a lot of which was here on JWN. I have seen every apostate talking point out there.

Why restrict yourself to the views of bitter and twisted apostates? . . . if you want to learn . . . really learn . . . then what others think means diddly-squat. I would suggest researching the critical, factual information available which will have a direct bearing on what is even possible, let alone believable . . . and to do it with an open mind . . . not an agenda.

Wow! 3 more responses just in the time it took me to write the last one.

Sure . . . we like to talk here.

to keep my knowledge of the Scriptures and of the organization strong and my defenses the best they can be.

If your agenda is to hone your apostate-resisting ability you'll get plenty of material here . . . knock yourself out.

• yknot
    yknot

We don't 'defend' in field service, we have discussions.

So to here, I hope you will strive to keep your senses.

I think you will find that if you are civil and able to ignore a few smart aleck comments you will be a nice addition to our group!

Here you will find some nice collections of older WTS publications:

http://www.archive.org/details/WatchTowerBibleandTractSocietyofPennsylvaniaWatchTowerpubs_0

http://www.a2z.org/wtarchive/archive.htm#magazines

http://www.wtarchive.org/deposit/

A few books can be found on google books as well.....

I am not sure if you downloaded it or not when i posted on Topix but it is also helpful to have a copy of the ks10 handy too....

Glad you have decided to join, I look forward to rational discussions with another active JW on the board!!

Huggles and goodnight!

• the max
    the max

No disrespect pal, but if i want some intellectual jousting, It would involve EGGY,or others on this Forum who are not here on an ego trip, with some crazy agenda to( hone your skills). Just a word of warning kid, YOU will get eaten alive, if you insist on this foolhardy course.My words may only serve to encourage you,(SIGH), any way go and get me that EVIL bastard Bin Ladens head I want to play football with it !!!

• pirata
    pirata

StandFirm, welcome!

The faithful slave will not be happy, but I'm glad to have you here.

I am still in, but I've pretty much lost my belief that this is the only true religion. I'm always open to persuasion, so I am interested in what you have to say.

I would also be interested to hearing your thoughts on a proposal I made here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/197629/1/What-if-The-Governing-Body-promoted-online-preaching

Also, do you agree with the whole JW package? Or do you have reservations in certain areas?

• tracylee
    tracylee

Hi Standfirm.

Would you openly tell your fellow brothers and sisters that you were actively participating on a forum that was filled with disfellowshipped and disassociated JWs and apostasy, engaging in spiritual discussions with them? Or is this hobby of yours something you'd prefer the Elders didn't find out about?

• inbetween
    inbetween

welcome standfirm,

as a still active witness, I appreciate an apologist here on this forum, because sometimes ideas get too onesided, all agree with some "apostate" statements. It always adds to a discussion to hear the other side as well, if it is well presented. This I missed lately a lot, apologists like djeggnogg, or scholar, to me they seemed either a bit strange or they avoided certain specific questions.

My personal conviction is to keep an open mind to every fact or logic that is presented, no matter form which "side".

I also read a lot of apostate websides and arguments, and while I got a better understanding of for example why trinity or immortal soul are so widespread, an understanding the WTS never presented, i still think, the bible does not really support these teachings.

To me, the problem of the WTS is not so much their core doctrines, they even might be closer to the socalled "truth" than most other religions, the problem with the WTS I see, is that they go totally "pharisee" with the main message of the bible, rules and regulations, control and prominence. (just look at the last WT study article)

The fact alone, that we only can have those discussions in an anonymous internet forum, and not at the kingdom hall, shows of the repressive nature of the org.

Anyway, really loking forward to your contributions,

welcome once more,

inbetween

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit