Earthquakes Earthquakes and more Earthquakes

by sizemik 185 Replies latest jw friends

• karter
    karter

Black sheep....Snapper are fat and plenty of them up here ive been going out in my boat and getting plenty!!!

• sizemik
    sizemik

Wow . . . just had another tremblor roll through.

5.2 on the richter . . . shook quite heavily for a good 30-odd seconds. Noisy.

Poor bloody mutt's still shakin' like a leaf.

Sizemometer . . .

• still thinking
    still thinking

good grief....more for the red zone?

• sizemik
    sizemik

usually a 5+ means some liquefaction.

And public access shut down for safety inspections again, plus a few thousand more insurance claims.

Life's never dull round here.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Yup, you just can't buy that kind of excitement. Poor doggie....he must be a bag of nerves

• sizemik
    sizemik

Yep . . . ol' Jack's still shakin' . . . must have absorbed that sizemik energy

• sizemik
    sizemik

September 4th 2010 . . . 4.30 am. It's a day I will never forget.

At that time a shallow 7.1 mag quake, 30 kms away, shook my house for 50 secs.

It's exactly 2 years since that say. Over 11,000 aftershocks have followed with nearly 60 at 5.0 or more.

It's been quite a ride.

Just thought I'd mark the day.

• still thinking
  • steve2
    steve2

I recall the day vividly and I was hundreds of kilometres away in the lower North Island. We had a garage sale that Saturday morning so had been busily getting ready for an early start with no radio or television on. When people started turning up on our property, one or two of them said seemingly offhand things as they looked over our items for sale such as "That won't help Christchurch this morning".

These comments puzzled me and I wondered what I was missing.So when the next person made a vague comment about how terriible things were in Christchurch, I had to ask "What's happened?" They were surprised I even had to ask.

I still remember how absolutely disbelieving I was when they replied that there'd been a big earthquake. I was in shocked disbelief because I had never thought Christchurch would be subjected to such an earthquake (although subsequently I learnt that it had had a few over the years). Here we were expecting the big one to hit the capital (and it still could) and it remained untouched whilst Christchurch was hit not once but several times over the next few months, including February the next year when there were upward of 150 deaths, many in the CTV building which has subsequently subjected to a damning engineering report.

My thoughts are with you and yours sizemilk. I understand that the after shocks are slowly settling down?

• sizemik
    sizemik
    I understand that the after shocks are slowly settling down?

Yes they are Steve. Two of the maps/graphics on the previous page are linked and are in real time . . . the "last 60 days" map and the 24-hr seismic drum chart. The activity has dropped off considerably in the last two months. But the city is burning with anger at present.

I don't think anywhere in NZ is seismically safe. One good spinoff is people being more earthquake aware. I see the WCC has taken it seriously . . . good for them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit