Star Trek was pivotal to me growing up and here is the best of it, imo

by sabastious 46 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Wow, Jean-Luc is on the forum :)

I grew up on Star Trek and loved all the different spin offs but my favouite was The Next Generation and DS9.

I wished they had finished the remaining Enterprise seasons.

It's been six years since Enterprise finished and other than the recent movie not much has happened.

The trouble with the Voyager and Enterprise is there was little in the way of exploring new worlds just for the sake of it - most episodes were a continuuation of the previous epsiode unlike classic Trek where each episode was distinct.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Sabastious,

I agree, Inner Light was a really good episode, though my favorites are The Best of Both Worlds and Yesterday's Enterprise.

Truthseeker

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

The Franklin Institute of Technology in Philadelphia had a Star Trek exhibit with props from the classic and TNG. There were a few items from the other shows. The costumes and props were amazing. They had such detail and were custom built. I would think on TV all they had to do was visit Toys R Us. The centerpiece was the bridge. I played Spock. Then, the piece de resistance, I summoned up the courage to sit in the captain's chair.

What a feeling of power. It felt a bit naughty to be there, without a Star Fleet degree and commission. Infants were placed in Kirk's chair and their photos were taken. I seriously debated it but refused to pay $20. for a photo.

It was a great experience. Tellingly, I waited until the closing day. Otherwise, I would have changed my mind and paid the $20.

• sweetmochasista
    sweetmochasista

Star Trek is freaking awesome!

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

jean-luc

thanks for that info on the tea, didn't know that,

nomad soul

no problem with the tea, I like a good cup of earl grey actually.

just never thought of frenchies being tea drinkers thats all.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It was "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot!"

You gotta say it properly to the replicator.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Earl Grey--he also liked delicacies from other worlds. The point is, he is well traveled and has refined tastes. He used to have his tea with a croissant.

I saw the original ST, when I was able to sneak TV.

It was important to me because, like some other shows in the 70s (original ST reruns), it had career women. Now, mostly they were in secondary roles...I mean, could they spare an officer role, for Pete's sake!

But it was still progressive to me, when compared with the barefoot-baby making-pioneering-uneducated-prarie skirt wearing-wife script my jws had planned for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit