Some of my daughter's Artwork

by lovelylil 69 Replies latest jw friends

• Scooby-Doo
    Scooby-Doo

Calling the lady's art rubbish is not very nice, Ashikae.

If you don't like her work then say so, but be polite about it.

I think that the Asian lady is very beautiful. I have an Asian fish painting that she would look very nice next to. ;)

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Ahsikae said,

Looks like rubbish to me.

The Japanese Woman is mediocre, at best.

That was very rude! My daughter is in high school, graduating in June. She has had her work published and her art hangs in the Town Hall in my town and the local Teen Center. Her art was also in a local CT paper, so I disagree with you.

Do you draw or paint? I would like to see some of the work you did while still in high school?

You also said;

You've got the begining, the basics, but you've got a long way to go to the top.

Are you an art teacher? An art critic? I didn't put my daughter's work up her for review you know. I think you have no manners whatsover.

• Ashikae
    Ashikae

I am in the “Art World”. I work for a very large company and we deal in millions of dollars of artwork and new talent every year.

Each week I am inundated with pieces from very, very, very talented people from, around the world.

As I said, if this is a hobby, that’s fine. Enjoy yourself.

But if she wants to get into the professional mainstream then there’s a lot of improvement required. Get a teacher, go to school…

It’s said I should be polite…What is the polite word for rubbish?

On any art editors desk this would last …5 seconds.

That’s the bare bones truth.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but this girl needs someone to help her build upon her obvious talents. She needs help to reach the best she can be.

Commentators fawning over mediocrity do an injustice.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

My daughter is going to Art school in spring 2012 here in Boston. That is your opinion about her work, for an 18 year old she is very good. Tops in her class. Calling a kid's work rubbish is ridiculous. You are not doing her any favors, WE don't know you, so WHY do you feel you need to help US?

I was simply putting up some of her work to brag as a mother. Art is subjective, it may not be to your tastes. My mother was a published painter, and many did not like her work.

But when "reviewing" a young kids work, you should be a little nicer. NOT that anyone ASKED for your review or opinions anyway.

Edited to add: the first two are examples of "pop art". Are you an expert in this area?

• Ashikae
    Ashikae

Lovelylill,

When you surround yourself with “yes men” who only tell you good things you’re in trouble.

Growth comes from conflicting opinions.

She and you need to hear what all have to say and consider the opinions of others.

Accept or reject them, but grow.

PS. She’ll face a lot more harsher critics than me…Good Luck.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Ahsikae,

Why did you feel the need to use 3 posts of your mere 8 to put down the work of a young budding artist?

She has already had her work critiqued and has been published in a childrens book, a newspaper and her work hangs in our local town hall, HER work being picked by an art critic from Boston out of hundreds of applicants.

You have your own opinion, that is fine but YOUR opinion is exactly that, YOURS. You give your opinion as if that is the final word on the matter but its not.

You say you are in the art world. but again I ask you , are you a published artist? Do you paint or draw yourself? If you are merely a critic that is fine but critics are a dime a dozen where I come from.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Don't take the critiscism too hard, Lil. If your daughter really wants to pursue a carreer as an artist who sells paintings, she is going to have to get used to constant critical review of her work, constructive or otherwise. You have to develop not only a thick skin in this business, but also a mind that is open to critical reiew of your work. Not everybody is going to like it. That's just the way it is.

Sure, Ashikae's critical words about your daughter's work may seem harsh, but this is exactly the same type of treatment that she will get from art critics and gallery owners everywhere. Might as well start getting used to it now.

I do believe, however, that truly constructive critiscism involves both citing positive aspects of the work as well as suggestions on how to improve.

Your daughter has talent, no denying that.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

An honest opinion is better than all the other BS encouragement you’re getting around here.

No, it isn't. You may know what you're talking about when it comes to art but you don't know jack about what kind of opinions or encouragement have value. Take a psych class. Try harder. Do better.

• Ashikae
    Ashikae

Mad Sweeny,

I encourage by being honest, the girl has talent, I acknowledged, but she has a way to go.

Why guild the lily?

As I see it, and this is my opinion, we do too much to encourage mediocrity today instead of pushing hard for excellence. Maybe that’s why we live in a mediocre society.

By the way…Who is this “Jack" you refer to?

Pick up thy brush and paint. Mad, Mad Sweeny

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Constuctive critisism I can understand, meaness I cannot.

A stranger calling my daughter's art trash is not helping her in any way. where the hell is the "constructive" part in that?

Of course she has a long way to go , SHE IS 18!

Thats it I am done, some people are just Morons! And I mean that in the most constuctive way possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit