The trouble with Christianity. TRINITY.

by whereami 209 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• godrulz
    godrulz

The triune understanding does not have contradictions (since He is one in one sense and plural in another sense). The WT straw man caricature of the trinity does have contradictions, so I would also reject their distorted view of what it teaches.

I speak in tongues, but I do not handle snakes. Hell is a biblical truth that Russell rejected (if he had not, we might not have all the deception and ruined lives from the modern WT). Don't create an idol god in your own image. Hell is consistent with the love and holiness of God. Annihilation is not everlasting punishment, tormented day and night forever and ever. For those who live like the devil, it would be a reward and not justice. The nature of the spirit-soul is the other issue. The WT is wrong about conscious existence after death, nature of death, nature of soul. If they would get that right, hell would follow logically and biblically. Jesus taught about heaven, earth, and hell. We exalt the love of God, but not at the expense of His holiness.

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

@godrulz

And, you've officially lost any credibility. Your idea of Holy Spirit bestows upon you unintelligible doctrine and unintelligible speech. You believe infinite torment is just reward for finite sin and then accuse God of sharing your disgusting, warped view. You are an offensive odor to any rational person, any Christian, anyone capable of human thought or emotion. I can only imagine how God feels about your blasphemous canard. You might want to do some reasearch on speaking in tongues, too. What languages have you spoken and to what foreigner?

• Terry
    Terry

God as a concept is higher than man in every way imaginable.

Transcendance is what engenders worship as the natural response of man to God.

To quantify, define, limit and otherwise make God fit inside man's mind is to commit blasphemy.

Any God you can thus explain cannot be real, actual, living or transcendant.

What we usually deal with in conversations is a very tiny, pathetic, predictable, all too human idea that we call God.

Bible God is myth.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Tongues are prayer, praise, worship to God. They are supernatural, our mind is unfruitful, and we speak to God (I Cor. 14). There is a difference between the public, corporate expression of tongues in the church that must be interpreted for edification and a personal, devotional use to God that is for self-edification (I Cor. 14:4). It is also the initial, physical evidence of receiving the Holy Spirit in a fuller way than at conversion for power to be a witness (Acts 1:8; Acts 2:4). At Pentecost, the speakers did not understand their language, but some in the audience recognized it. This was not preaching (Peter preached in a learned language), but declaring the wonders of God. The WT, Baptists, Mormons, etc. are wrong to think that tongues is for preaching to foreigners (would be rare exception). Tongues are a perfect prayer language to God. The speaker did not learn nor understand them. If my tongues is Hindi, I would be praising God in this language. If a Hindi speaker was in the room, they would understand what was being said. It would be prayer to God, not preaching at them. The WT is clueless about spiritual gifts (as are cessationists in my Christian circles). This is a peripheral issue compared to Christology and soteriology.

Wontleave...you should really leave any grip of the WT so you can find biblical truth and the true God.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    We are? Speak for yourself, Sybil. We've all heard the anecdotal "evidence" for the Trinity: Egg=shell, white, yolk, etc. Problem is, according to the Trinity, each part is completely God. The mind isn't a person without the body and vice-versa. Neither is the shell fully an egg; it's compost.

Sybil?

Ok, Phil !
    LOL !

Anyone who believes the Trinity is simple and obvious is totally delusional. Read the Athenasian Creed for the definition of Trinity. If you don't believe that, then you don't believe the Trinity and you're just making up your own doctrine as you go (which is pretty much what most Trinitarians do, because the doctrine is ridiculous and insane).

I am not a Trinitarian BUT I have also NEVER had my mind twisted by the JW doctrines and as a person looking from the "outside in" on the Trinity doctrine, with very little preconceived notions, I have no problem with it, none at all.

As for the creed:

Thus, in the words of the Athanasian Creed: "the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God, and yet there are not three Gods but one God." In this Trinity of Persons the Son is begotten of the Father by an eternal generation, and the Holy Spirit proceeds by an eternal procession from the Father and the Son. Yet, notwithstanding this difference as to origin, the Persons are co-eternal and co-equal: all alike are uncreated and omnipotent. This, the Church teaches, is the revelation regarding God's nature which Jesus Christ, the Son of God, came upon earth to deliver to the world: and which she proposes to man as the foundation of her whole dogmatic system.

As translated in English:

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the CatholicFaith. Which Faith except everyone do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the CatholicFaith is this, that we worship one God in Trinity and Trinity in Unity. Neither confounding the Persons, nor dividing the Substance. For there is one Person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Ghost. But the Godhead of the Father, of the Son and of the Holy Ghost is all One, the Glory Equal, the Majesty Co-Eternal. Such as the Father is, such is the Son, and such is the Holy Ghost. The Father Uncreate, the Son Uncreate, and the Holy Ghost Uncreate. The Father Incomprehensible, the Son Incomprehensible, and the Holy Ghost Incomprehensible. The Father Eternal, the Son Eternal, and the Holy Ghost Eternal and yet they are not Three Eternals but One Eternal. As also there are not Three Uncreated, nor Three Incomprehensibles, but One Uncreated, and One Uncomprehensible. So likewise the Father is Almighty, the Son Almighty, and the Holy Ghost Almighty. And yet they are not Three Almighties but One Almighty.

So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Ghost is God. And yet they are not Three Gods, but One God. So likewise the Father is Lord, the Son Lord, and the Holy Ghost Lord. And yet not Three Lords but One Lord. For, like as we are compelled by the Christian verity to acknowledge every Person by Himself to be God and Lord, so are we forbidden by the Catholic Religion to say, there be Three Gods or Three Lords. The Father is made of none, neither created, nor begotten. The Son is of the Father alone; not made, nor created, but begotten. The Holy Ghost is of the Father, and of the Son neither made, nor created, nor begotten, but proceeding.

So there is One Father, not Three Fathers; one Son, not Three Sons; One Holy Ghost, not Three Holy Ghosts. And in this Trinity none is afore or after Other, None is greater or less than Another, but the whole Three Persons are Co-eternal together, and Co-equal. So that in all things, as is aforesaid, the Unity in Trinity, and the Trinity in Unity, is to be worshipped. He therefore that will be saved, must thus think of the Trinity.

Furthermore, it is necessary to everlasting Salvation, that he also believe rightly the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ. For the right Faith is, that we believe and confess, that our Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is God and Man.

God, of the substance of the Father, begotten before the worlds; and Man, of the substance of His mother, born into the world. Perfect God and Perfect Man, of a reasonable Soul and human Flesh subsisting. Equal to the Father as touching His Godhead, and inferior to the Father as touching His Manhood. Who, although He be God and Man, yet He is not two, but One Christ. One, not by conversion of the Godhead into Flesh, but by taking of the Manhood into God. One altogether, not by confusion of substance, but by Unity of Person. For as the reasonable soul and flesh is one Man, so God and Man is one Christ. Who suffered for our salvation, descended into Hell, rose again the third day from the dead. He ascended into Heaven, He sitteth on the right hand of the Father, God Almighty, from whence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead. At whose coming all men shall rise again with their bodies, and shall give account for their own works. And they that have done good shall go into life everlasting, and they that have done evil into everlasting fire. This is the CatholicFaith, which except a man believe faithfully and firmly, he cannot be saved.

I don't care much for ANY human creed or doctrine BUT I do NOT begrudge anyone that does.

I will certainly NOT put MY VIEW of what I THINK the Trinity means on anyone.

Too bad too many here don't feel that same way, LOL !

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    God as a concept is higher than man in every way imaginable.

Terry hit the nail on the head.

The Trinity is simply man trying to understand God based on his very LIMITED notions of exitstence and with the help of the NT and OT, but in a way that neither was written to do.

While the Bible reveals SOME of God's nature and Jesus reveals His Word and nature incarnat, the universe we live in reveals "the rest".

By rest I mean our very limited understanding of what the universe is and how it works.

While the Trinity was a "valiant" attempt at trying to understand that nature of God and the nature of the realtionship between God, Christ and the HS, it is VERY, VERY limited by not only man's very imcomplete understanding, but by the very nature of Man's language.

Hints of "Bablon" if you ask me.

• godrulz
    godrulz

Are there any trinitarians here?

Who else believes that Jesus is God Almighty in the flesh?

Personality of the Holy Spirit?

i.e. are there any true Christians here, or just those turned off WT to varying degrees? Leaving false religion to a vacuum is not great when a relationship with the true God is to be had (and necessary for abundant/eternal life).

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Godrulz,

Yes, there are trinitarian here, Chalam and Deputy Dog are just two that come to mind.

Perry and Johnathan Dough are two others.

I would be careful on the whole "true christian" thing though, that sounds a bit JW'ish, LOL and it is certainly not YOUR place to judge who is "true" or not.

• godrulz
    godrulz

We cannot judge individual hearts, but Paul defended and proclaimed the true gospel (Jude 3) and condemned false gospels/christs (Gal. 1:6-10; 2 Cor. 11:4). I am not saying any one group or denomination are true Christians, but that all who trust the true vs false Christ are (so deciding on whether He is God or creature is the most basic issue). So, I have brothers in many denominations (hard for authoritarian groups to grasp; they have uniformity, but we have unity on essentials/diversity on other things). I can say, based on Scripture, that Islam, Hinduism, Mormonism, JWs, Armstrong, Koresh, Moonies, Jim Jones, Buddhists, etc. are not true Christians (as a whole). Scripture is the authority, truth is absolute vs relative, the way is narrow, but it is not the WT, it is Jesus (Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12).

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    We cannot judge individual hearts, but Paul defended and proclaimed the true gospel (Jude 3) and condemned false gospels/christs (Gal. 1:6-10; 2 Cor. 11:4). I am not saying any one group or denomination are true Christians, but that all who trust the true vs false Christ are (so deciding on whether He is God or creature is the most basic issue). So, I have brothers in many denominations (hard for authoritarian groups to grasp; they have uniformity, but we have unity on essentials/diversity on other things). I can say, based on Scripture, that Islam, Hinduism, Mormonism, JWs, Armstrong, Koresh, Moonies, Jim Jones, Buddhists, etc. are not true Christians (as a whole). Scripture is the authority, truth is absolute vs relative, the way is narrow, but it is not the WT, it is Jesus (Jn. 14:6; Acts 4:12).

Indeed and Paul and John said that the true gospel was that Christ came in the flesh, that he died and was ressurected.

That is the core of the gospel as proclaimed by the apostles.

To be a Christian one must believe and proclaim that Jesus Christ is the son of God, that he came in the flesh, that he died and was ressurected in body.

The latter doctrines created by man were developed for one reason or another, but THIS CORE is what brought all christians together and makes us all, children of God.

Obviously anyone that denies Christ is NOT a christian.

BUT denying the trinity, for the many reason people do, does NOT make them "unchristian" or "not true christians".

Many deny the Trinity because they "misunderstand" what it teaches, others because they have been taught it teaches something they can't agree on, others because they hold to the literal interpretation of the bible and unless it is "spelled out plainly" then it isn't biblical and other don't agree with the trinity because they find there is no need for that doctrine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit