re-enforcing the shunning of immediate family - WT 7-15-11

by undercover 172 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Just a question: What is an 'exemplary Christian couple' as opposed to the average 'John Doe' publisher/couple? Is there class distinction even among the JWs? There isn't suppose to be.

What determines an 'exemplary' status among JWs? I thought we are all equal among JWs. What about low profile JW parents who do not fall under the category of 'exemplary' (whatever that means) but still attend and contribute and who go along with the DF/shunning policy and have children that are DF'd and who as a result have/are currently suffering as JW parents? Is this article not meant for them?

WTBTS what the hell heck do you mean by 'exemplary'? Am I for example considered as an 'exemplary' individual or not'? Of the 7 million + JWs how many are considered exemplary and how many are not?

WTBTS, if the shoe fits........James 2:4 says: 'YOU have class distinctions among yourselves and YOU have become judges rendering wicked decisions, is that not so?'

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

JW GoneBad, Superficially, I think the "exemplary" means that they are both above the average "in good standing", dudes an elder, moms a pio, or sometimes aux. I think you raise a good question because there's also an underlying message that the "exemplary Christian couple"...

...turned in their son for some "wrongdoing" that the elders wouldn't have otherwise known.

...did not interfere with or question the fairness of the JC proceedings. (Which parents often interfere with, because the elders can be harsh, unfair, and judgmental.)

The additional message is that the "exemplary" parents will kick their kid out and sit in the house bawling, because it makes a great show of piety and faithfulness to the organization above any duty or love to family. And it places the dictates of a bunch of janitors above the love of truth and justice.

• sir82
    sir82
    Just a question: What is an 'exemplary Christian couple' as opposed to the average 'John Doe' publisher/couple?

In WT-World, if you do all of the following you will be "exemplary":

-- Write down 10+ hours per month on your field service report (it matters not one whit if you actually do 10 hours, or 0 hours - what is important is the number on the paper)

-- Show up at most congregation meetings (it matters not one whit if you actively listen or stare into space - just fill a chair & it's all good)

-- Answer occasionally at congregation meetings (it matters not one whit if you believe what you say, or if your actions are not in harmony with your comments)

That's pretty much all you need.

Having a Christ-like personality, being kind, generous, thoughtful, intelligent, compassionate, hospitable...all that matters not one whit.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Hey 'undercover': I also wanted to thank you for sharing the info in the Wt 7-15-11. I'm looking forward to reading more when I receive my copy. Appreciate the heads up!

Billy: What you say here really hits home with me.......'did not interfere with or question the fairness of the JC proceedings. (Which parents often interfere with, because the elders can be harsh, unfair, and judgmental.)'

sir82: Couldn't agree with you more......with one minor exception: -- Answer occasionally regularly at congregation meetings (it matters not one whit if you believe what you say, or if your actions are not in harmony with your comments)

• steve2
    steve2

I'm actually a little bit reassured by the nasty tone of the article: It indicates that the relaxing of the disfellowshipping rule in families is rather more widespread than even the GB might have initially thought it was.

So, they come out with a very desperate and bluntly worded warning about what "exemplary" members should do. But watch this space: The rank and file will just be even sneakier than before in ignoring the warning. I have long asserted that the Watchtower's biggest enemy is not apostasy but apathy. I too am struck by how tired and listless my JW relatives are- more so than in the past. Would they ever leave? No. Would they ever rekindle the zeal they had in the 1960s and 70s? No. Not more obedient - just sneakier. It's a way to survive when you haven't developed your own backbone.

• JoJoJones
    JoJoJones

What a manipulative article! How mean! And the WTBTS are not mind readers - - what do they know about what is going on in the hearts and minds of those who disassociate themselves or who are disfellowshipped. Either they love to second guess people or just plain love to assume what others are thinking and/or feeling! What this article is saying is so arrogant and presumptuous!! And unkind - - where is the compassion of the writers of these articles? The tactics used in this article are so patently manipulative. It's just another way to gain control over the mindset of JWs! For the sake, though, of any current Jehovah's Witnesses who may read posts here, maybe we should be careful to avoid any meanness so as not to sway these people or to influence them into thinking that former JW websites are full of lies and so on. We need to be careful ourselves, too, I think.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I know I've already commented on this thread a few times. However, this is a topic (disfellowshipping/shunning) that when it comes up for discussion stays with me for days it seems.

Anyway with the memorial approaching I am reminded of what happened last year that disgusted me regarding JW's overly righteous ways.

Talk about re-enforcing the shunning that goes on in JW world. Last year we had a visiting speaker who many considered to be a WT heavy almost to the point of worshipping him.

Anyway he had some instructions for the brothers who were going to be passing out the emblems. Now, this may not come as a surprise to some on this board, but it certainly floored me.

The pompous speaker instructed the brothers that if possible they were to pass over any they new to be disfellowshipped and not allow them to touch the emblems. Later I found out that other memorial celebration events received the same or similar instructions.

Talk about rubbing salt on an open wound!

Not to hijack 'undercovers' thread, but any thoughts?

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

Wow JW GonBad that left me speachless, this is one of the most un Christian acts I have ever heard of, the whole point of Christianity and Jesus sacrifice and giving His life for us was so that all come to repentance and have sins forgiven. They have lost the whole point of what communion with the Lord is all about. Restoration for all, forgiveness for all, they need to go back to the Word of God and learn about Jesus all over again because they so obviously have not grasped what the Gospel is all about, and that is because they do not have the Holy Spirit,

They are fulfilling Jesus words 'Woe to you, teachers of the law and pharasees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to. Matthew 23 v 13 NIV

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

RosePetal: 'this is one of the most un Christian acts I have ever heard of'........my thoughts exactly!

I actually have a dear friend (Patrick) who related to me just a few days ago that he knows of a DF'd person in his territory who he invited last year to the memorial and encouraged him to sit with him for obvious reasons; to make him feel more comfortable (Patrick is not a proud person).

The DF'd person shows up for the memorial.

As it turned out Patrick was the only one that took any sort of interest in this visitor while at the event as this individual's past (this person's mortal sin........occasional smoking) is known by most in the congregation.

You guessed it. Patrick went back this year to invite this DF'd person again and the person's reply was basically.........why?

Can't say that I blame this poor DF'd person.

This organization smacks of hypocrisy!

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

It really pisses me off that they make it sound like all who leave do so in order to lead a sinful lifestyle. Another point, it's not like the young man had a choice growing up, kids are pretty much forced to get baptized at a young age and then disfellowshipped when they go through puberty. So much pressure is put on parents if their children are not baptized by a certain age.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit