Do JWs still believe in 1914?

by Iamallcool 125 Replies latest members private

• Iamallcool
  • garyneal
    garyneal

Perhaps that is just a user name coincidence. My wife, in particular, does not see the importance in it while simultaneously won't question it.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

it is not a coincidence, you can create your own facebook website.

• mrquik
    mrquik

Just had a conversation Friday with someone still in. Reviewed all the evidence against 1914 being the beginning or end of anything. Got a lot of blank stares & some weak rebuttal. This is something those in have to hang onto tightly. If this falls, it all falls.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

mrquik, I was told that facebook profile belongs to an elder in South Korea.

• d
    d

I wonder, What will happen when 2014 rolls around and we are still here?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Yeah we still believe in 1914, but for some strange reason, the WT doesn't mention this date as much as they used to. I don't know why.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@lamallcool:

Do JWs believe in 1914?

I would say that Jehovah's Witnesses believe not only in 1914, but in 1915, 1916, 1917, 1918, 1919 ... 2009, 2010 and 2011, since your question is rather vague. If you are asking whether Jehovah's Witnesses still believe and teach that the year 1914 is the year that marked the end of "the appointed times of the nations" to which Jesus refers at Luke 21:24, the so-called "Gentile times," I would then have to say "yes, we do."

But there are people that claim to be Christians that believe in dates in which Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe, such as their belief that Jesus was dead for 72 hours ("three days and three nights") because of how they understand Jesus' words at Matthew 12:40, and even if you were to explain to them "that three days and three nights" was just a Jewish idiom that the Jews used and were quite familiar, they still believe Jesus was literally dead for 72 hours because they believe to think otherwise is to suggest that Jesus lied. That is why there are so many Christian denominations holding different beliefs than those held by Jehovah's Witnesses, which is fine.

If you are one of Jehovah's Witnesses, then you might have beliefs that other Christian denominations do not profess, and that's ok. Many Roman Catholics are of the belief that the Church was built on the apostle Peter and declare Jesus' mother, Mary, to be the mother of God, and that's ok, too. If no one but Jehovah's Witnesses should accept the year 1914 as being a date having scriptural significance and should only think of 1914 as being the year when World War I occurred, this doesn't necessarily mean that these other Christian denominations are wrong to not do so. It only serves to emphasize the fact that there are many Christian denominations in existence today and that they do not all of them hold the same beliefs.

Are you suggesting that Jehovah's Witnesses should abandon all of their beliefs with respect to the year 1914, which would mean their giving up on 607 BC, on their interpretation of the "seven times" of Daniel 4:25, on the 2,520-year span of years separating the beginning of the appointed times of the nations and the fulfillment of these "seven times"? If so, we won't, but my question to you is why is it that these other Christian denominations can believe that Jesus is God and that God is triune, and whatever other things they choose to believe, and Jehovah's Witnesses cannot believe what they choose to believe?

@mrquik:

Just had a conversation Friday with someone still in. Reviewed all the evidence against 1914 being the beginning or end of anything. Got a lot of blank stares & some weak rebuttal. This is something those in have to hang onto tightly. If this falls, it all falls.

We believe the year 1914 has a scriptural significance, so why should this belief of ours ever "fall" if this is what we, as one out of hundreds of Christian denominations in existence today, should choose to believe this year to be a significant one? I have no idea what "evidence" you reviewed, so I have to take you at your word, but I never give "blank stares" or "some weak rebuttal" whenever I am asked as to the significance Jehovah's Witnesses attach to 1914 and the end of the appointed times of the nations, considering that we believe Jesus is now enthroned as king in the heavenly realm of God's kingdom, and that he now exercises rulership over all of his followers here in the earthly realm of God's kingdom, a belief, mind you, that other Christian denominations do not hold in common with us.

Perhaps the person with whom you spoke last Friday is not cognizant to explain the scriptural significance of 1914 as Jehovah's Witnesses believe and teach, but you should not conclude from "blank stares & some weak rebuttal" that all of Jehovah's Witnesses lack the ability to explain its significance, especially now that we are living during the conclusion of this system of things. You are here on JWN responding to @lamallcool's question, so the majority of the answers you get on questions that relate to what Jehovah's Witnesses believe will not necessarily be from someone that really is one of Jehovah's Witnesses that accurately knows what Jehovah's Witnesses believe as I do.

Now Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe in luck, but maybe you will count yourself as lucky to be reading a response from someone that really is one of Jehovah's Witnesses that accurately knows what Jehovah's Witnesses believe. And maybe not, but if you're really curious, I suppose you could just drop by one of the Kingdom Halls local to your area and ask one or more of the Witnesses you find in attendance there what their beliefs are regarding the year 1914.

@djeggnog

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

1914 has been emphasized over and over again so all jws recognize it. I also notice that the WTS is not mentioning 1914 as much. Maybe because the 100 year anniversary of 1914 is approaching fast, that they are less vocal about 1914.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

JWs believe whatever they're told to believe. All WT publications come with an expiration date, just like cartons of milk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit