Just had my first JW visit in almost 13 years. . . weirder than I could have thought.

by Ilovebirthdays 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

I have an old friend from JW's that has been trying to track me down. She finally found me today. Of course to invite me to Memorial. I told her very politely but firmly I wasn't going. She wanted to know why I left, and I gave her a few brief reasons and figured she would leave. But no, she came in and sat down on my couch and we made small chit-chat, and then. . .

She ended up on my couch in tears!! Her husband is an elder, but he is a closet alcoholic, and constantly screams at her. She went on and on about the bad things that happened in her marriage and in the congregation, and said she even questions Jehovah sometimes, but has decided that it is her fault, her relationship with him isn't strong enough. (sigh) Just bad story after bad story, I felt so sorry for her. We finally got her cleaned up and freshly re-makeuped so she could go back out to the car group. I felt so bad for her, because it was obvious in all these years she doesn't have anyone to talk to that I told her she knows where I live, I'm home a lot and if she ever needed anyone to talk to, she could just come by and talk, as long as we understood the ground rules to be no talking about anything JW or anti JW related.

I feel kind of heartened, because she was always one of the embarrassing hardcore faithful. She talked about not agreeing with everything the Society said, and she said she feels she's learned compassion, and feels that JW's don't do a good job showing it, and she believes that when Armageddon comes Jehovah won't destroy as many people as JW's think, that there are a lot of people that have good hearts (apparently there's been a lot of DFings in her family, and she still keeps in touch with those people) that he won't destroy. It made me wonder what state the JW's are in if someone that has been super-hardcore-faithful all their life still believes, but has that many doctrinal issues with them.

• sabastious
    sabastious

That sounds like an intense experience. She really opened up and cried out for help, imo.

I feel for the ones still in and questioning, it's a tough spot to be in.

-Sab

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

In this way you can be more of a friend than the "friends" ever were.

• Ilovebirthdays
    Ilovebirthdays

It was very intense, I'm trying to process it and explain it to my husband, but even though he kind of understands, he didn't know a thing about JW's until he met me, and the whole culture of being one is foreign to him, and I don't think he can quite understand why I find it so odd.

It is very hard emotionally, because I just feel so bad for her on the one hand, and on the other, I'm very excited to find out there are ones that do question. I see the experiences here how many others have a lot of other family and friends that have left, but in 13+ years, I'm it for my family. And every time I run into people from my old congregations, they tend to turn bright red and look at their shoes as they power past me in their cheap suits and Little House on the Prairie dresses, so I'm assuming they're still in, too.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    That sounds like an intense experience. She really opened up and cried out for help, imo.
    I feel for the ones still in and questioning, it's a tough spot to be in.
    -Sab

What Sabastious said + 1 million. IMHO, it would not hurt at all if you took the intiative to re-contact her and offer a little human kindness and support.

• man in black
    man in black

Just be there for her, that one action will speak louder than words.

Reminds me of a statement that I recently heard,

"Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words."
    Francis of Assisi

• flipper
    flipper

ILOVEBIRTHDAYS- Wow. What an intense awesome experience ! I felt you handled that beautifully. You left the door open for this person to confide in you and perhaps in time you will show her what real, UNCONDITIONAL friendship is. Awesome. I wish her and you the best. She may come back to you sooner than you think

• wasblind
    wasblind

Hello Ilovebirthdays,

I'm sure that your warmth is the very thing she needed

that must have been a relief, from the superficial love

governed by conditions. You think maybe her need to

find you was more than just to place an invitation?????

could she be lookin' for an outlet???????

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Wow...

That is too much...

Makes you feel their pain! Trapped and no way out they feel!

Thank you for sharing it really moved me!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Wow, what a shock.

I felt so bad for her, because it was obvious in all these years she doesn't have anyone to talk to

That is a good point. Although JWs are supposed to be family, that is only if you agree and follow 100%. As soon as you have doubts or issues, (and most do) it has to be hidden, which must be a major cause of stress.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit