LETS TALK SATAN....WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE?

by Quentin 84 Replies latest jw friends

• lesabre
    lesabre

snowbird..... where in the TaNaKh (old testament) is "Satan"? it's MUCH later theology and isn't rooted in the TNK. so where did the belief start?

• Pika_Chu
    Pika_Chu

Satan has always been a convenient scapegoat for humanity to blame their atrocities on.

Precisely how I feel, Keyser Soze. If all the evil in the world comes from the devil, where does that leave room for human responsibility?

• Terry
    Terry

Dosteyevsky's writings are filled with the idea that if you look closely enough at what Evil is you prove the existence of God.

The greater the Evil the more real is God.

For Satan to be proved real it would seem pretty easy. All you have to do is assign blame to an invisible personage. Like hanging your hat

on a peg. Then, conversely, you assign praise as an attribution to God. Like a sorting game a child would play.

The best line in THE USUAL SUSPECTS is the one about Satan.

Verbal: Who is Keyser Soze? He is supposed to be Turkish. Some say his father was German. Nobody believed he was real. Nobody ever saw him or knew anybody that ever worked directly for him, but to hear Kobayashi tell it, anybody could have worked for Soze. You never knew. That was his power. The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that, poof. He's gone.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Sab,

Considering their limited powers, I would say the the most dangerous (or scary) things they have done to individuals I know is haunting them, hiding objects, partial materialziations and audible noise.

The real power they possess is to confuse people and make them believe things other than what the Bible says. Why is this dangerous?

Jesus said, do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul, rather be afraid of the one who can destroy body and soul

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I feel that all "evil" comes from within mankind. Choosing to do "good" oftentimes requires some sort of effeort or sacrifice. When one chooses "evil" their choice is often instantly gratifying and requires no sacrifice. Just as been said in this thread, the "Devil" is nothing more than a scapegoat for mankind's own evil acts.

• lesabre
    lesabre

snowbird... look up 1kings 5:18, psalm 109:6, 2 samuel 19:23, zechariah 3:1-2, and job 1:6 in a good Hebrew/English Tanakh. look for how the term "satan" is used. in Hebrew, it's spelled: "sin" "tet" "final nun". look for those letters in the scriptures.

use this website to see which letters i am reffering to: ancient-hebrew.org/7_home.html

• snowbird
    snowbird
    snowbird..... where in the TaNaKh (old testament) is "Satan"? it's MUCH later theology and isn't rooted in the TNK. so where did the belief start?

1 Chronicles 21:1Now Satan entered the scene and seduced David into taking a census of Israel. The Message Bible

First mention of "Satan."

The belief started in a Garden ...

Thanks for those references.

Syl

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Considering their limited powers, I would say the the most dangerous (or scary) things they have done to individuals I know is haunting them, hiding objects, partial materialziations and audible noise.

Sounds like the behaviour of mischievious children does it not? What do you think is the purpose of their actions?

-Sab

• lesabre
    lesabre

i don't think you get that "satan" isn't a name. not even a fallen angel.

• lesabre
    lesabre

(the above was for truthseeker)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit