TO ALL YOU ATHEISTS

by watersprout 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

No I didnt mean that NS nothing wrong with either topic ...just it seems to be continuous the same old same old.

Loz x

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Why complain about something you can avoid? You can avoid reading something you think it's old and boring. I know I do!

• watersprout
    watersprout

I know what you mean Loz. I have no problem with the atheism threads, just the abusive nature of some on here. We have all been through some sort of trauma due to the watchtower, and i feel that instead of the nastiness we should all pull together and support each other. Better to do that than rip into each other.

Peace

• sizemik
    sizemik

To me the whole atheist / theist debate is the product of a human failing . . . . . . yes, FAILING!

Simply . . . the failure to make room for the "unknown"

It seems to me that the human desire to "know" the "conclusion of the matter" often overrides the "great unknown" and we make an intransigent decision on things with insufficient knowledge. Perhaps for those who have a religious background, this is a legacy to the black and white thinking religious belief invariably espouses . . . thinking in absolutes. Or maybe in recognition of the limited human life-span, we feel we need to "equip ourselves" adequately for what lies ahead . . . death.

What's wrong with saying something like . . . "Current evidence suggests that some kind of evolutionary process was involved in our being what we are today . . . whereas the evidence for the the biblical God being real, seems fragile . . . but I'm not absolutely sure.

Not knowing "for sure" is not a weakness . . . it doesn't make us lacking in something (faith/belief/assuredness/confidence/common sense/intelligence etc etc). It is simply the truth of the matter . . . we don't know for sure.

Allowing room for the unknown in fact requires a certain courage. It means living with uncertainty but without fear, Additionally, it makes us more receptive to further discovery ON BOTH SIDES of the debate. Debating is healthy provided we are not coming from an intransigent position. This is in fact a "closed mind" whichever side of the debate it espouses if it is "absolute". It is a closed mind that usually resorts to ridicule and personal attack . . . theist and atheist alike.

Well . . . that's my take on it.

Luvonyall - MS

• watersprout
    watersprout

Nomadsoul I do avoid the athesim threads on a whole. My point is that there seems to be a lot of aggression towards members of the body of Christ. Lots of ''schizophrenic'' and ''mental'' remarks. They aren't nice and not at all loving and lets be honest rather ''watchtower'' like. There is nothing wrong with being an athiest/theist/agnostic or whatever label you prefer. It's the ''aggression'' i have a problem with. Makes me sad

I just want everyone to get along, been the same since a child! Hate any nastiness.

Peace

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I think it's more Watchtower like to think everyone should behave YOUR way.

• watersprout
    watersprout

WHAT??? To show love and respect?? Seriously?? To show kindness?? God i really am a bitch!

• tec
    tec
    There is nothing wrong with being an athiest/theist/agnostic or whatever label you prefer. It's the ''aggression'' i have a problem with

Agreed. I don't like the anger and the malice, (or the condescension). I can understand it when hurt has been involved, but it should be emotions and treatment we work toward being rid of.

Tammy

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

@watersprout

LOL See how easy it is to ge riled up? So how do you expect everyone to be on their best behavior when they're debating what they believe is true? Both sides are capable of being rude and spiteful.

It's not realistic to want a group of people to express themselves as you would.

But if that's your dream I will respect that but I will critize it.

• watersprout
    watersprout

I wasn't being spiteful and rude! I'm all for debating and both sides putting their points across. What i am on about is the malicious, spiteful, hateful remarks some on here like to make. I'm not asking to be Queen of the world [although i would luuuuvvvvv that job lol] just for people to be mindful of what they write. To think, would this hurt the person i'm saying this to?? How wonderful would this planet be to live on if we all showed love, compassion and kindness. Yes it's not easy to be loving all of the time, much easier to snarl and say something nasty, especially to someone we don't like.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit