Anyone from Canada? Thinking of emigrating there...

by teel 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

In that case, I'd strongly recommend that you move out to The Island (Vancouver Island), as they have the most temperate temperatures in Canada.....

I would recommend that people make sure they are going to the WEST coarst and no tth eisland on the EAST coast Newfoundland. I have no idea how anyone ever "found" that land and didn't mistake it for an iceberg. They must have the worst winter blizzards of anywhere

BTW I am allowed to make fun of newfies. My father was one and he was easily made fun of

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I lived in Winnipeg on a visitors Visa for a year. It was the best experience of my life. I ejoyed the people and the scenery immensely. Driving through Northern Manitoba til the highway ends, you see nothing but the clearest water, untouched nature, except for the Native American reservations scattered around, and it was fascinating talking with them and learning about their culture. Canadians in general are very proud of their country, and the are soooo nice. This was back in the 80's, but I can't imagine things have changed that much, except for more crime within the city limits. Since then, I have always been a Canadian at heart, and would have applied for citizenship if it weren't for the extreme Winters and my health would not allow me to endure the Winters.

If you want to live in the tropical, warm year-round part of Canada, just head to Florida! Teehehehe-there are tons of transplants from Canada there, and there are many shops that cater to Canadian foods. When I lived in Florida and needed a fix, I would head to one of the stores for my beloved Coffee Crisp candy bars!!!

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I would recommend that people make sure they are going to the WEST coarst and no tth eisland on the EAST coast Newfoundland. I have no idea how anyone ever "found" that land and didn't mistake it for an iceberg. They must have the worst winter blizzards of anywhere

I've never lived there as a resident but spent a fair bit of time working on Newfoundland's west coast, commuting out of Ontario. I applied for a permanent position there several years ago but didn't get it. Newfoundland is stunningly beautiful and is an outdoor sportsman's paradise. It also has the friendliest people in the country - ask all those American folks who landed there on 9/11 when their planes were rerouted. Yes, their blizzards are fierce, but so were the blizzards in northern BC and northern Ontario where I lived for many years. It's all relative. The downside of Newfoundland is not its weather but its cost of living. It's an island, and everything has to come in by ferry. Services are also expensive, so income taxes are amongst the highest in the country. Given the right job that pays well, I'd go there for sure.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Scully

I missed that, the first time around:(

S

• Mary
    Mary
    Nicolaus said: Newfoundland is stunningly beautiful and is an outdoor sportsman's paradise. It also has the friendliest people in the country - ask all those American folks who landed there on 9/11 when their planes were rerouted

You're absolutely right Nicolaus. There was a book written about it which I read a couple of years ago. Truly heart-warming, as it tells of how the people of Gander, Newfoundland really stood up to the plate and showed the best in humanity during one of the darkest moments in recent memory. The book is called The Day the World Came to Town, and I would highly recommend it. As one person who read the book said, "The events described in this book will make you either proud to be a Canadian or regretful that you aren't."

• MartynAndrew
    MartynAndrew

Hi

I'm from Toronto and now live in a suburb about a half hour north. Toronto weather is not that bad and has a nice variety of work- Markham is home to many big tech companies, we have a huge financial sector, automotive and services.

While taxes are higher, you get some pretty nice services, and everyone gets them, schools and libraries are good, not to many toll roads. Nice mix of people, Toronto has a big gay community, caribbean, italian, chinese... you could eat at a different type of restaurant everyday of the week. When I worked in automotive the Japanese people always loved to get sent here because they could get a such variety or authentic foods, some had been in Alabama and they complained that everything was deep fried, you could easily eat at 20 greek restaurants all within walking distance of one another.

An interesting note is that Windsor Ontario is actually south of Detroit and enjoys some pretty nice weather, being south of parts of California.

Canandians are different than Americans, it's subtle, and it may take a while to appreciate. Good luck, and as someone else mentioned, it's about a 7 day drive end to end, and most of us live in the most southern area, so it's hard to describe, with any justice, the whole thing in a few sentences.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit