Anyone from Canada? Thinking of emigrating there...

by teel 65 Replies latest jw friends

• teel
    teel

Title almost says it all. I'm sure there are some canadians here, so please voice your oppinion - am I out of my mind to move there, or is it the best decision of my life? - of course the answer is somewhere in between, but feel free to be extreme if you want to

Also I'd apreciate any kind of advice, description of your country, way of living, ease of employment, weather, people, anything that might cross your mind.

As personal info I'm a software developer - however partly because of the JWs, partly because of bad decision making on my part, I have quit the university. So I am an interresting combination - no degree, but actually quite skilled and with vast experience - been working for 10+ years in the field, and right now I have the competition doing everything in its power to get me to work for them, so I must be good So, how much do you think the lack of a degree would impede me there?

Edit: what can I say? Do'h! Silly me, it's night there Well, I'll just bump this thread in a few hours.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Do you meet the eligibility conditions for moving to Canada?

• teel
    teel

I took an online test on the official site (http://www.cic.gc.ca), and it said I would be eligible if I got an arranged employment.

• tec
    tec

My suggestion would be make sure you can get work, then move to that place. Of course moving to Canada is the best thing ever!! But if you don't do your research, its just as hard to live here than anywhere else, depending on what you're looking for. We have unemployment too.

Less work in Eastern Canada, but cheaper living. More work in Western Canada, but more expensive living. But again, that depends on the work you're looking for... and I am soooo not an expert.

The more north you go, the harsher winters you're going to get as well, and that takes some wear on your vehicle. Something to keep in mind.

Tammy

• Angharad
    Angharad

Best thing we ever did when we moved from UK to Canada

We also were in the position on not having degree's so we both got our degrees through the Open University (not sure if you are currently in UK). Simon secured a job offer and we moved over on a work permit, we were then able to fast track our permanent residence application. Getting a degree will also give you extra points on the application to move here.

The Winters are a shock to the system but you get used to it (sort of !).

• gutted
    gutted

As tec said, your best bet for work is Western Canada currently. Being a software developer you are best off in a large city; West coast you have Vancouver (very expensive to live, but beautiful city), Calgary (huge oil and gas contigent) etc.

Canada is a beautiful country, you will be taxed more heavily then in the US but you will enjoy free health care, cleaner streets, less crime etc.

Culturally Canada is very diverse as far as ethnic background, but in general Canadian people are polite and friendly but more reserved and to themselves then Americans.

That's kind of the quick synopsis, if you have more questions fire away.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The view from my Kitchen Window..

...................... ...OUTLAW

• sabastious
    sabastious

lol at that pic!

-Sab

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I'd love to move to the great white north but my family need sunshine and warmth. How about Australia?

• tec
    tec

Hey, we have sunshine and warmth!

(just not this year )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit