Anyone from Canada? Thinking of emigrating there...

by teel 65 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Kaethra! long time no see!

Oh and, if you're a coffee connoisseur, Timmy's is not for you...I know I risk my citizenship for saying so, but it's true. ;) That's not to say I don't drink it occasionally - I do. There's something in it that makes you have to have it! And don't get me started on how exciting it is when it's 'roll up the rim' time! lol

I'm more of a steeped tea kind of girl these days, but I've heard (and found it to be spurious) that the added ingredient to their coffee is (*surprise!*) nicotine... I would smile a great big smile whenever I'd see car groups of JWs piling into Timmy's for their coffee breaks, believing that they are getting a nic-fix just like the people they DF for smoking.....

• Satanus
    Satanus

Nicotine? Since i drink the stuff, i did a search on this. All claims are that it's a hoax. http://www.google.ca/search?q=coffee+nicotine+%22tim+hortons%22&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&tbs=

Not that i'm against nicotine intake, or anything.

S

• Mary
    Mary
    Simon said: BTW: I can't belivee my wife spelt Tim Hortons wrong!! OMG, is she trying to get us deported?!?!

I've already reported the both of you to Immigration Canada Simon......spelling Tim Hortons wrong is well........the worst thing you can do up here. Expect your deportation papers within a week. I'll let everyone in on a secret: I found a place with coffee I like even more than Timmy's: If you're anywhere near a Second Cup coffee chain, try their Paradiso Medium....OMG is it ever good. I stop by one on the way to work every morning. They don't have donuts and their muffins are horrible, but man oh man is their coffee good!!!

Satanus said: I left la belle provence cuz i got tired of french and the attitude.

Proof enough that Satanus is a Canuck, as no one outside of Canada knows that we refer to Quebec as "la belle provence".

teel said: I don't really have a problem with it, but my soon-to-be wife literally hates winter - yet Canada was her idea

In that case, I'd strongly recommend that you move out to The Island (Vancouver Island), as they have the most temperate temperatures in Canada.....

It's even funnier when visitors think they can drive from Toronto to Vancouver in under a day.

I had a friend in California who told me once he was going to "drive up to Canada" to visit me. I said "um, do you have any idea where I am?" He said "Canada!" I said, "ya, but do you know where Toronto is?" "No". "Do you know where Ontario is?" "No." "Do you know where Vancouver is?" "Yes!" I said "Okay, drive north to Vancouver, turn right and drive another 3,000 miles and you should be able to find me." LOL!!

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Hey Scully girl! Good to "see" you too! :) yeah...I still pop in from time to time. I don't think too much about jw stuff anymore, but I love the diversity of topics and opinions shared by this group. We X's really are an eclectic bunch.

Nicotine huh? Funny that...I've often thought that stale Timmy's smells like an ashtray...I'm sure it's not nicotine but still...there's something about that stuff! I've heard that it's because it has much higher caffeine content than most coffees...like you, I'm more of a tea girl now. Have you tried David's Teas? Love that place! Their perfect teacup is awesome. :)

• Scully
    Scully

LOL! Satanus... I hyperlinked to Snopes' page regarding the Timmy's/nicotine claim, as I mentioned the claim is spurious. But it was sure fun for the little while thinking that JWs were hooked on nicotine whenever they made a Timmy's run on their Field Serviceā„¢ coffee breaks.

Kaethra, I've never seen a David's Teas around here, but checked their website and sure enough there are a couple - I will have to check them out! We have a few Teaopia locations and I just love their teas!

• Think About It
    Think About It

I moved to Canada from the US 2.5 months ago and I'm loving it. Love my new job, friends and surroundings.

Think About It

• paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Canada is beautiful. I'd love to move to Tofino on Vancouver Island.

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV
    I moved to Canada from the US 2.5 months ago and I'm loving it. Love my new job, friends and surroundings.

Welcome new Canuck!

V665V665

• unshackled
    unshackled

Another Canuck chiming in. I too live on the west coast in BC...climate isn't that bad for winters. Had a few days of snow this past winter but that's about it. Victoria is a great city...currently spending a getaway weekend there right now. Can see the harbour from the hotel room, wouldn't mind living here.
    Vancouver too is a good city...but as already said, pricey for real estate. And a lot more hustle and bustle for sure. Vancouver is actually a fairly active tech community...some have called it "silicon valley north". Tech startups and gaming production. Check out Bootup Labs for a beginning look into the Van tech scene.

Winters can be brutal elsewhere...spent time in the far north and October to end of April was snow, snow, snow. Though the more south you go, obviously, the better. That's why most Canadians live within 100 kms for the US border.

One thing to note about the rainy west coast...you trade snow shovelling for summer yard work. Everything grows so damn fast. If you have a lawn it grows like crazy..mow, mow, mow.

• laverite
    laverite

Vamp: You wrote: "I still gotta laugh at folks who think that Canada is little more than Eskimos Inuit and igloos, snowmobiles and seal hunting, mounties and maple syrup, etc."

WHAT? There's more to Canada than those things?

You also wrote: "It's even funnier when visitors think they can drive from Toronto to Vancouver in under a day."

WHAT? You can't?! Well then I won't bother visiting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit