Why there has never been a better time to be alive!

by Married to the Mob 21 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I think today is a good time to be alive but I do remember

in the early 60's gas in Cleveland Ohiio was 32 cents a gallon.

My grandfather would give me 5 dollars to cut and trim his lawn it took me about 45 minutes,

and a hamburger at McDonalds was 15cents. I remember in the late 60's I was making 10$

an hour putting on roofs for my father and I'm pretty sure hambugers were no more than 20cents.

You used to get a meal at McDonalds for a dollar. And gas was still 32 cents a gallon.

In the 70's I had full coverage hospital care for my wife and son for 100$ a month.

Today I cant afford health insurance any more, insurance would probably be 1000$ a month for 3 people

and it wouldnt be full coverage.

Im 58 the best time in my life was the 70's, I made good money, gas, food and insurance was cheap,

you could buy a new volkswagon for $2000. I was making 20,000 a year out of school. I could get 2 grocery

carts of food one full of steak and meat for 100$.

Many women didnt work in the 70's I made enough to take care of my wife and son and my wife got to be at

home and raise my son.

Things are relative, when things were cheap I never had enough and when things are expensive I never have enough.

YOu cant always get what you want but but sometimes you get what you need.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Ponos,

Put to death? wow. So tell us Ponos, which century would you like to live in? Enlighten us, PLEASE!

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

My best friend is a neo-Nazi. He says it is all getting worse...

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I'm so glad I was born the 20th century, any & I mean any century earlier & I would most likely be dead by the time I was 50 I'm now 52, almost.

• Evidently Apostate
    Evidently Apostate

WHAT IS THE ALTERNATIVE?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Time travel. Duh.

• Glander
    Glander

Two words - Barack Obama

• JeffT
    JeffT

World traveler, there's been radiation in our milk for as long as we've been drinking milk. Now there is a marginal amount more.

Jaguar, in the late sixties I my gas was 25 cents a gallon and I was making 2.25 an hour working in my Dad's lab. I didn't think I was doing too bad. Of course the kids my Dad was treating were going to die of Leukemia. Now they have a pretty good chance of living.

51% or US homes have at least one computer

99% of US homes have a TV

24% of US home have only a cell phone

I can't find a number for homes with indoor plumbing, mostly it seems that the people that don't have it don't want it

200 years ago all those numbers would have been zero, unless you count a bucket by the bed as indoor plumbing.

And a simple infection would kill you because there were no antibiotics.

I think we're better off today

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

PP tell me what century you would rather have lived in?

What you write shows a terrible misunderstanding of statistics. Wages may be low for many people, but they are better than they were in the past.

There may be a lot of hunger, but the percentage of people dying from hunger is far, far less than ever before. What is incredible is that in may years of the 1800's more than 24,000 people died on average every day, despite having only a fraction of the population we have.

Cancer etc is only more noticeable because we live substatially longer than ever before. When the average age to die was 40 people did not get old enough to get most cancers. Because doctors have extended the average age we live to, there is more chance of getting those illnesses in older age.

One very important statistic is that the maternal death rate used to be about 10 per 1000 people, now it is only 4 per 1000 globally, with it at only 0.2/1000 in developed countries. Can you imagine living in the not too recent past where every hundred births the mother died.

• james_woods
    james_woods

It is also interesting to reflect on how much better off we are now than in 1914, when Russell thought it was all going to end.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit