Why there has never been a better time to be alive!

by Married to the Mob 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

The article below is taken from the sun newpaper!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3501660/IN-the-past-month-the-news-has-been-all-bad-but-here-an-academic-puts-it-into-perspective.html

Recently the MIL has been on about how things are getting worse blah blah blah, end of times blah blah blah.

Well, sorry but thats not the case! Unless your an england cricket supporter!

FOR the past month, the news has been all bad - war, recession, riot, tsunami, earthquake, nuclear disaster, inflation, cuts... and the cricket.

But while the news is always bad, there has never been a better time to be alive.

The average citizen of earth is wealthier, healthier, wiser, cleaner, cleverer, kinder, more peaceful, more equal, freer and happier than ever before.

Average lifespan is increasing across the globe at the rate of five hours per day. Child mortality has fallen by two thirds in 50 years.

IQ scores are rising all around the world.

London's air and Britain's rivers have never been so free of pollution.

Charitable donations are at unprecedented levels.

The last decade saw the lowest number of deaths in war since 1945 worldwide.

Inequality is falling as poor countries such as India, Brazil and Botswana get rich faster than rich countries such as Britain, America and Japan.

Freedom is on the march - the Russian empire fell, the Chinese liberalised, South American juntas collapsed, Arab despots are toppling.

Soon only a few tyrants will be left - Kim Jong-il, Castro, Chavez, Ahmadinejad, whoever runs Burma and a clutch of increasingly worried African despots in silly uniforms.

And, yes, even happiness goes up as people get richer.

It is easier to be happy when you don't face death, dirt, disease and a long-drop toilet. The average British working man in 1957 - the year Harold Macmillan told us we had "never had it so good" - earned less than a modern father of three gets in state benefits (after correcting for inflation).

In the Fifties it took 30 minutes to earn the price of a hamburger on the average wage.

Today it takes three minutes.

A modern car emits 95 per cent less carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides and hydrocarbons than it did in the Seventies.

The fatal accident rate of air travel was 13 times higher in 1969 than it was in 2009. The death rate from heart attacks and strokes at any given age has halved since 1970.

I lay out these statistics in my book The Rational Optimist: How Prosperity Evolves.

When I was young, nobody told me any of this.

They said Britain was in decline, the world was running out of oil, the population explosion was unstoppable, global famine was inevitable, an epidemic of cancer caused by pesticides was going to shorten all our lives, nuclear war was coming, the desert was advancing at a mile a year, acid rain was destroying the forests, the ozone layer was shrinking and my sperm count was going to fall.

Yet all the time, inexorably - and unheralded in the news - things were inching better.

New ideas and new technologies were being invented to reduce the time each of us takes to fulfil a need or a wish.

All it takes to improve living standards is to make sure energy is cheap and let people work for each other through trade, to let ideas meet and mate - and innovation follows.

Good as life is compared with the past, the future is going to be much better.

For 200 years living standards have been accelerating upwards because trade and communication have been getting easier.

On present trends the average citizen of earth will be at least twice as rich as the average American is today by 2100 - corrected for inflation.

Yet thanks to the internet, innovation has accelerated.

There will still be wars and natural disasters.

But consider this - your probability of death from a storm, flood or drought was 98 per cent lower in the last decade than it was in the Twenties.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Whereas the Sun is not my rag (page 3 being the exception), this is the kind of positive news Mrs Punk and the rest of the R&F JDubs cannot stand. It suggests the big 'A' is further away than ever (subject to overlapping).

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Was this article written before or after Fukushima?

There is radiation in the food supply here on the west coast found in milk.

I can think of better times long gone.

• shamus100
    shamus100

The truth is there is no better time to be alive. It's just such B.S. how the watchtower preaches how awful things are, when it's just not the case.

What, gay marriage has turned Canada into sodom and gomorrah? Nope. Hasn't happened. Gay people I know don't mow the lawn wearing tu-tu's.

More earthquakes? Oh please.... ;D

More disease? Nope, less..

People are dying earlier? Nope.

Pestilence? HAHAHAHAHAHA!

The list goes on and on and on. People in the group can't figure this stuff out because it's grilled into them over and over and over again, and they want to believe.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

sounds like a good book, and mostly mirrors my feelings on the subect of "the good old days"

Married, are you the author?

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Any time is a good time to be alive. Just give me my 80 years, or how many years my body's limit is.

On a serious note I think it would be better to live in the future, well if we're not extinct by then. Imagine the knowledge in a thousand years! Quick! Someone freeze me and wake up in 1,000 years!

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

@maninthemiddle - nope not the author but the article caught my attention.

@shamus - Your spot on and I have noticed that witnesses don't do thinking and so the watchtower does it for them and tells them what to think!

by the way! un gros bissou for the monkey!

• Philadelphia Ponos
    Philadelphia Ponos

That article is a joke. "The average citizen of earth is wealthier and healthier", the gap between rich and poor increaed dramatically over the last few decades, you are the wealtheir if you are in the top 20% of world income. Also I don't get how people can be healthier when we now have a much higher rate of cancer and diabetes. "the Chinese liberalised", the government blocks YouTube in China, need I say more?

Here some stats to show just how ignorant the author is of world condition: 20% of the entire world's population live of less than $1.25 a day.

37% of the entire world's population lives of less than $2.00 a day.

80% of the entire world's population lives of less than $10.00 a day!($3,650.00/yr)

Every day 24,000 people die from hunger.

I'm not even going to get into all the war and violence that currently going on in the world. Who ever wrote that article needs to be put to death for being an ignorant asshole.

Source: www.heartsandminds.org/poverty/hungerfacts.htm

• scary21
    scary21

At least people aren't eating their children anymore, like they were in the 14th cen........If you went back to the good old days I bet you'd want to come back shortly....... like the first time you need antibiotics.......lol

Sherry

• d
    d

Advanced computer technology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit