Im new here

by POWER_OF_YOUTH 75 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

POWER_OF_YOUTH- Welcome to the board ! Nice having you here. I too was born and raised in the Witnesses. I didn't realize until age 44 some 7 years ago there was a lot of doubts I had not only about the lack of real unconditional love, but how wack some of the ever changing doctrines or " new light " was.

Take your time and do some research online . I think you'll be surprised with what you find out. If you have any questions at all- please feel free to ask anyone here and we'll direct you somewhere to some interesting research on the internet. In the mean time, hang in there with the girl thing, the right one will come along for you some day. You're still young take your time. Girls will come and go- they did for me. Found a great one later not until my mid 40's !

Take the time to widen out your field of research. Don't just limit yourself to the WT publications only- as you are only getting ONE view of things. I wish you the best of luck ! Look forward to hearing more from you . Take care

• drewcoul
    drewcoul

Power of Youth-

You are a very good writer. I'm very impressed with your spelling, grammar and ability to articulate.

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to speak your mind and let us know your viewpoints on things. As a young person in the congregation, you can give a different perspective from others of us here.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

You are at a wonderful point in your life. Every decision you make is going to affect you for the rest of your life.

So many posters on this Board were a JW at your age, pioneered, married a nice brother/sister, abstained from college, became a window washer or janitor, moved up into the Borg's rank and file . . . . all to later find out they didn't believe in the religion. Then, they went (or are going through) the very difficult task of leaving - fearing/facing divorce, complete loss of "friends", and, for some, even a job. Having no training, they are starting their life over, some at the age of 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, etc. It's really hard for these people to feel that they wasted their life.

The JWs are a "conditional" relationship. Your JW friends, future JW wife, a future JW boss are your friends, but only if you are a model Jehovah's Witness. If you change your thoughts, they will cool and later shun you.

I ask that you watch this movie clip. It's from the Danish movie, "To Verdener." This movie is about a Jehovah's Witness family. I can honestly say that it shows all sides of this religion, both the good and the bad. In this clip, a "worldly" boy learns that his love interest is a Jehovah's Witness who hasn't spoke to her older brother who left the "Troof" in a year. I think you should see this movie. It is sometimes available on Comcast and most of it is on YouTube, in parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcnPhQ5lKmc&feature=related

Worlds Apart/To Verdener-- Mall scene

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Its a lot of work, but if I can encourage/help some other person then it will all be worth it.

Do you think assisting a person remain a JW is really helping them. The religion has spent 130 years telling people they would not grow old because the end was about to come. Most of those are now old or dead. It discourages higher education, planning for the future, even marriage and children at times, because the end is about to come. It was said to be soon 130 years ago. That type of religion is rightfully calssified a doomsday religion.

There are plenty of other religions that teach people Bible standards without the unrealistic preoccupation of death at Armageddon. You would be helping more if you directed people to one of those groups.

Hundreds of thousands of JWs do not speak with their children because the religion leads them to believe it would be wrong to do so. Do you think you would be helping people as a MS, as you would be forced to insist on such cult behaviour? Despite the religion claiming it does otherwise, since 2/3 JW children leave, it splits families. You would be of more help if you were to be part of a group that encourages united families, not splits families up.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Oh, and I wanted to give you some words of wisdom.

First - Shakespeare - "To thine own self be true, thou cansn't not be false to any man."

Second - you are at a time in your life where there is great interspection. You are thinking about where you fit in, how you got to where you are, and where you are going. Use this time to read, read, and read. Read about cults, high control religions, psychology, sociology, and the Watch Tower's history. Then, you will be making a truly informed decision - whatever you decide.

Third - don't marry the first girl you meet. As the song say, "My momma told me, you better shop around."

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

"You certainly have the opinion to approach one of the local elders in your congregation and/or to write a formal letter to the body of elders and indicate your desire to disassociate yourself from Jehovah's Witnesses"

Say what Eggnog? You are such a product of the mind control! Wow, are you in a deep JW induced coma!

The real story is there is no law or legal requirement that you ever write such a disassociation letter or even speak with the elders to dsiassociate yourself! The elders can not sue you for not disassociating yourself, nor can they call the police to have you arrested. It's just a rule in their "clubhouse". The notion that you have to write a disassociation letter is their final way of controlling you - actually controlling how you leave their clubhouse. You have a freedom of religion - a freedom to enter or to leave a religion....and you have the freedom to do so with communication or without. If they continually bug you, you can inform them that you will be getting a restraining order if they persist, against them as individuals. Go to the county courthouse and see what it takes to get such an order.

The elders want this letter so they can use it against you. Announce your name to the Kingdom Hall to begin shunning.

As a minor, under 18, you MAY had some GREAT legal arguments to annul your baptism and NOT be subject to any shunning. You might even get a "legal aid" society to do the legal work for free in your area.

Skeeter

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter
    Eventually even that bugged her conscience and we talked even less. Eventually what we had just faded, and we havent had a decent convo in months. She texted me about 2 weeks ago at 1 A.M. but we talked for about 5 minutes through text message and that was it.

Chalk that one up to learning experiences. If you cannot have a leisurely, innocent phone call from another state, how would you ever learn to interact with the female of the species? Try to imagine how being under that much control would affect your relationship if you were married. A spouse burdened with guilt from a third-party is not able to dedicate themself to strengthening the marital partnership. It would be like having the world's most meddlesome mother-in-law living in your house, 24 hours a day every day of the year, dictating everything you think, do and say.

And lest I forget, Welcome aboard!

• kimbo
    kimbo

welcome pow

• POWER_OF_YOUTH
    POWER_OF_YOUTH

@jgnat

I wrote out various responses to people then I clicked on your link and now my responses are gone =( lol. Still I feel that your article is pretty spot on. Granted, you will always have your idiots, but the part about Gen Y negotiating and wanting to understand is definitely true.

@ First

You don't like service too? Sweet =D. I read a WT article that stated that the most important aspect is that you do it out of love. I had that thought floating in my head, but that article just confirmed it. You also mention that guys didn't like you. Heck, if you ever invent a time machine and turn into your 17 year old self, hit me up lol.

Anyways, nice meeting everyone once again. I will re type some of my responses when I can, but right now I just want to go to bed.

• djeggnog
    djeggnog

@djeggnog wrote:

You certainly have the [option] to approach one of the local elders in your congregation and/or to write a formal letter to the body of elders and indicate your desire to disassociate yourself from Jehovah's Witnesses. It should not prove to be a burden to anyone that wishes to leave off from actively associating with Jehovah's Witnesses to do so, and it's really quite easy to do. The downside of making such a decision though is that you will no longer be able to socialize with those active Jehovah's Witnesses with whom you may have formerly conversed or associated, but you may freely speak to your own family members if they are willing to do so (some of them may shun you, but they aren't required to do so!), and you are also free to speak to the elders at any time. It is not necessary to provide a reason for your decision to withdraw from associating with us, and keep in mind that later, should you have a change of mind, you can always rescind your letter and indicate your desire to return to active association with us.

@moshe wrote:

BAD ADVICE!!

Tell the dudes at Bethel you are annulling your baptism and you want to start over with a new study and have new [baptism] as an adult, after you fully understand the reasons for making a dedication to follow the WT organization.... Bethel's WT legal dept. knows that you have every right to cancel your WT membership made as a minor, but if you do nothing, then at age 18 they assume you legally accept your past baptism. The hook is set for real then.

@skeeter1 wrote:

Say what Eggnog? You are such a product of the mind control! Wow, are you in a deep JW induced coma!

The real story is there is no law or legal requirement that you ever write such a disassociation letter or even speak with the elders to [disassociate] yourself!... If they continually bug you, you can inform them that you will be getting a restraining order if they persist, against them as individuals. Go to the county courthouse and see what it takes to get such an order.... As a minor, under 18, you MAY had some GREAT legal arguments to annul your baptism and NOT be subject to any shunning. You might even get a "legal aid" society to do the legal work for free in your area.

Bethel doesn't have a "legal department," let alone a "Watchtower legal department." In the 60s, we would rebaptize those who were practicing sin when they were asserting their dedication to do God's will, but we don't annul anyone's baptism. Because knowledge is what brings responsibility, we do not rebaptize someone that may have considered baptism to be a religious rite that gave her or him membership as one of Jehovah's Witnesses without their fully recognizing the significance of baptism. Contrary to your worldview of matters, we are not the secular authorities that believe everything must turn on the age of an individual. Things have changed since those years. How long has it been since you and @moshe called yourself Jehovah's Witnesses?

I wasn't telling @POWER_OF_YOUTH that he was required to write a letter and to send it to the body of elders. I merely told him that he had to make a choice as to what he wanted to do if his desire was to stop associating with Jehovah's Witnesses. I told him that he had the option of approaching one of the local elders in his local congregation or and/or writing a formal letter to the body of elders to indicate his desire to disassociate himself from Jehovah's Witnesses. Without his writing a letter to this effect or speaking to one of the elders as to his wishes, the elders would likely visit him at his home when what he really wanted was for them to leave him be. None of the elders are clairvoyant. He has to tell at least one of the elders that he's no longer interested and doesn't want to be bothered at home by them as if they could change his mind back. Like the Bible says, "wisdom from above is ... reasonable." (James 3:17) How it is that you are seeing what I had suggested here to @POWER_OF_YOUTH as being "mind control"? Actually, it's just common courtesy to communicate your intentions to an elder!

You are giving him as advice the idea of obtaining a restraining order against the elders in his local congregation should they come by to see him at his home without his having informed them orally or written a letter to the effect that he was no longer interested in associating with Jehovah's Witnesses? Then you go on to repeat what @moshe ignorantly said about seeking to obtain an annulment of his baptism? Jehovah's Witnesses here in the US have a constitutional right under the First Amendment of the US Constitution to freedom of religion. Did you know this? "Congress can make no law" when its comes to religion, so neither can it promulgate a law directing whether Jehovah's Witnesses will or will not annul anyone's baptism, which we do not do.

It would be wonderful if you and @moshe would stop pretending that you are qualified to dispense legal advice to anyone. Neither of you are.

@djeggnog

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit