DON'T pray for the victims of the Japanese earthquake/tsunami disaster.

by nicolaou 50 Replies latest social current

• brotherdan
    brotherdan

My point being that to call all that are Theists "uneducated" and "delusional" is not correct. Unless you want to judge some of the greatest men in history in that way

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

brotherdan,

thank you so much for all those wonderful quotes on prayer.

I recently became a lay minister and have a prayer ministry for the sick and dying. Many of the people I pray for are my patients I care for on hospice. When they and their families found out about my ministry, they began asking me to pray for them at the end of my visits each week.

I do not pray for their physical healing as they are ALL teminally ill and will die. I pray for their spiritual health, comfort and peace to accept their fate. And for stenghth and peace for the families they are leaving behind. I have gotten lots of positive feedback from my patients and their families that my prayers for them do help them feel more peaceful and loved. Of course, it is God's peace and love they feel on them for that is what I always focus on during my prayers.

Anyway, for me personally prayer is not about asking for something for myself but rather asking God to help others. This changes a person's whole outlook on life. Instead of focusing on "self" your focus is on others. There is no greater thing than that. Just think about how many selfish people we have in this world who never give one iota about what is happening to their fellow man?

Praying for others is also a way to share Christ's love with them. This prayer ministry is very rewarding, not only for them, but for me. It has made me less of a selfish person concerned only with my life. I can focus on others and their lives and that really is what the Christian experience is all about. God focused on us, sharing his life and love and we pass it along to others. Prayer is powerful and prayer for others is the most loving thing you can do. Don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

And I am sure if the Japanese knew how much we cared for them and that we cared enough to pray for them, that they would be as touched by that as my patients have been that I cared enough to think about their needs.

So those who do pray, keep it up and Lord Bless, Peace to all, Lilly

• free2beme
    free2beme

I think you should think for yourself and not use others words to validate the uselessness of prayer. I will say though, donate, prayer is a waste of time.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Pray for the courage to get off yo ass and get to Japan to help those poor people!

-sAB

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Brotherdan, quotes from prominent historical figures can be interesting but they prove nothing. They are simply an appeal to authority. Among others, you quoted Lincoln, Adams, Jefferson & Gandhi.

For what it's worth, I can do the same;

Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession"

John Adams: "Mystery (the divinity of Jesus Christ) is made a convenient cover for absurdity"

Thomas Jefferson: "Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear."

Mohandas Gandhi: "Do you think I am superstitious? I am a super-atheist."

Abraham Lincoln (again): "My earlier views of the unsoundness of the Christian scheme of salvation and the human origin of the scruptures have become clearer and stronger with advancing years, and I see no reason for thinking I shall ever change them."

I'm not insensitive to the reassurance that comes from knowing that others are thinking and even praying for you, only the inhuman could ignore people suffering in a time of crisis. But as valuable as those thoughts and prayers may be to some they do not provide any real, tangible assistance. Prayers do not repair infrastucture, provide clean drinking water, medicines, blankets or any other sort of necessary relief aid.

Prayer is a stunningly poor substitute for resources!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Pray and donate I say. Just because YOU don't believe there is any merit in praying, does not give you the right to tell people not to pray for those in Japan if THEY believe they should. But I agree, you need to give monetary relief too.I don't think anyone would say pray only but don't give any other assistance. After all that is what the Watchtower would do. Peace, Lilly

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

you need to give monetary relief too.I don't think anyone would say pray only but don't give any other assistance

Actually I didn't say there was no merit in praying, my first comment was that it might make the one praying feel better. But my point is that the prayer does no good at all for the individuals who need practical help.

Your comments seem to suggest that you agree with me lovelylil, why else would you stress the importance of giving 'monetary relief' in addition to offering prayer? Because you know as well as I do that no god in heaven is going to lift a finger for those poor souls! It is up to us as compassionate human beings to offer our time, muscle or money to assist our fellowman.

Your god isn't going to do it is he?

Honestly, these pathetic attempts to justify nonsensical superstition in the face of real, brutal tragedy make me livid. Grow up and get off your knees the lot of you!

• superpunk
  • undercover
    undercover

Since over 80% of Japanese people profess no religious affliation and over 60% don't believe in God, just who will you prayerful people pray to?

Instead of praying, give money, clothes and/or food to a reputable charity that is helping in the relief. Then, if you must, pray that it gets there in time to help. After you give you have no control on the transport and delivery and if you feel the need to employ superstition, that's the time...when you've done what you could and you no longer have control over the situation.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    Stealth: That's the cool thing about Jesus. You can shit on him all you want and he will always take you back, even without a public apology.

yeah, I have yet to see anyone get rejected by Jebus. He lets it rain on the evil and good alike. Of course, he allows tsunamis to drown the evil and good alike, too. It's almost like... he's not even there.

Undercover raises a great question for Christians. If you pray for Japan, will your god aid those who reject the concept of his existence? He's not exactly the most impartial being, according el Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit