DON'T pray for the victims of the Japanese earthquake/tsunami disaster.

by nicolaou 50 Replies latest social current

• White Dove
    White Dove

Oh, you have a good point, Free2beme.

They may mostly be of the Shinto faith.

I don't know anything about it, but do wonder if they like candles.

No power means that they may appreciate candles and matches.

I'm thinking that Red Cross may be the best bet for a charity.

I know they had a shady past, but that was just a flash in the pan compared to what they do for disaster relief.

Blankets for those displaced...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

This site might be helpful. They rate charities based on a number of characteristics:

http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=topten

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

Prayers for your fellow man AND a donation to help feed him.... you can't go wrong.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    you can't argue with what Jesus has done in my life through prayer. We all should pray for those poor people

Would it be too rude and offensive to say that you are delusional? Probably, but when people are suffering through the sort of unimaginable events that happened in Japan it just might be the appropriate time to do it.

Don't let your personal delusions that Jesus/God has intervened in your life fool you into thinking that 'He' will help anyone else.

I see that a lot of posters are taking the 'belt & braces' approach - pray and donate. Well at least the practical assistance has been made, that's good. But I won't stop making the point that prayer by itself is futile and impotent. The danger is that so many otherwise compassionate and loving individuals will feel that to pray is enough.

It isn't.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    But you can't argue with what Jesus has done in my life through prayer. We all should pray for those poor people.

I can argue with how arbitrarily he chooses to get involved with peoples' live. The best time for him to intervene would have been before the earthquake hit. How magnanimous of him to step up now, after the deaths of tens of thousands.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Earth quakes are not unatural events

it's something that has always happened,

even reshaped landscapes, it's part of nature

unfortunately, this natural act causes destruction

I personally do not see the harm in prayer along with

providing help be it physical or in a donation

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

Would it be too rude and offensive to say that you are delusional?

are you talking to me? :-D

Ok so praying didnt help the Japanese before the tsunami, what makes you think that it will help after it?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Avoid if at all possible donating via WTBTS!

PSacrmento: Good suggestion!

The safest bets in regards to donations are the organizations that are ALWAYS there, like Red Cross, Doctors without borders, Habitat for Humanity and groups like that.

You can also get in touch with the Japanese embassy or consulate and they will give you info.

• Violia
    Violia

Prayer, healing thoughts, whatever, does work. So does money donated to legitimate organizations like Red Cross and others that are well known.

• unshackled
    unshackled

Point of this thread should simply be: "Pray if YOU want to, but realize the only proven way to truly help these poor people is to donate or volunteer. So do that first then get on to whatever else you think would help: pray, light a candle, watch the Seven Samurai, etc."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit