New Light. Is it new truth or simply new understanding on the underlying truth?

by garyneal 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

I went to the assembly for half a day today. I ask myself why I go and I figured it was for a couple of reasons that mainly involve my children. One, I can be a buffer for them while the speakers are hashing out the drivel about how everyone should follow the slave class or face Armageddon. Two, I get to visit Richmond, VA.

So there was a woman giving her testimony about being a witness and how she at times defended the 'truth.'

A few days ago, I recall speaking with my wife concerning what a Church of Christ posted for everyone riding by to read. "God's Word Evolves, Does Yours?" My wife and I surmised that God's word doesn't change, much as truth doesn't change and she used an example concerning how homosexuals might say that God's Word evolved so that it no longer condemns homosexuality.

I brought up that sign again at lunch time during the assembly and asked her how is the idea of God's Word evolving not any different than the concept of new light?

My wife says that God's Word does not change but that "our understanding of it changes."

To which I responded, "That sounds fair but why call your understanding of it truth? Does truth change?"

"The truth does not change," she said, "but our understanding of it changes."

"That would be great if Jehovah's Witnesses were humble enough to admit much of their teachings are simply based on their current understanding of the truth or God's word," I replied, "However, Jehovah's Witnesses call their teachings truth."

"Furthermore," I went on to say, "if their current doctrines are simply based on their current understanding of God's Word which can be referred to as truth, what makes them different from other Bible believing churches?"

"If the truth is simply gospel's message," I continued, "then that woman who said that she defended the truth can join hands with Christians from other churches who also defend the truth. How can you any Jehovah's Witness say that their understanding of the gospel is the truth while saying that other's understanding of it is false when indeed the witnesses understanding of it changes regularly?"

"Doctrine does not change," she replied, "only our understand of it changes."

"However, doctrine comes about based on your understanding of the scriptures," I replied.

This went on for a few minutes as my wife waffled back and forth on how changing understandings is not equivalent to changing truth. I love her dearly but somehow she failed to understand the whole point of what I was trying to convey to her.

If God's Word does not change and God's Word is truth, then truth is also unchanging. If the collective doctrines of the Jehovah's Witnesses are considered truth and the doctrines are regularly revised to allow for new understanding, then how can the doctrines be considered truth if truth is suppose to be unchanging?

After our lunch we went back inside for the afternoon session. The talks were rather culty and appealed mostly to fear at that point, needless to say I had to leave shortly after the talks began. I took my oldest daughter to Chuck E Cheeses and we had a blast.

• jeckle
    jeckle

you must love her alot i would have thrown up i cant stand to hear the jw's bs anymore

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

garyneal be patient. I thoroughly enjoyed your logic. Be patient, one day your patience w/ your wife will pay off.

Pride, right now, keeps her from agreeing w/you. That is how JWs are. Truth hurts!

Just wait..............one day..........you'll see!

In the meantime enjoy your children, like it sounds you are doing.

Wish you well fella!

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

great reasoning garyneal! I also hope one day soon your wife realizes what you've been telling her all along.

• nugget
    nugget

It is hard since JWs are not able to follow logic when it comes to their faith it seems bizzare that something so obvious does not appear to get through the barrier that is set up to stop them questioning their faith. You did well, I would keep at it one day you will get through the madness I am sure. It is great your daughter had the opportunity to have a fun afternoon I bet that is what she will remember most from the day.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Gary your logic was impeccable! I am sure you have got her thinking, time will take its toll, she is still new and enthusiastic about the "truth", it will wear off I'm sure.

• Curtains
    Curtains

If God's Word does not change and God's Word is truth, then truth is also unchanging. If the collective doctrines of the Jehovah's Witnesses are considered truth and the doctrines are regularly revised to allow for new understanding, then how can the doctrines be considered truth if truth is suppose to be unchanging?

great reasoning Gary

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

somehow she failed to understand

They understand all right.

They have two definitions.

One for you now & another for when you believe that the WT is 'selected'.

• Heaven
    Heaven

"New Light".... it's just another advertising gimmick. If it's not 'new', nobody is gonna listen to it. Look at other products on the market. "New" is how so many things are pushed. And people buy into it.

Love has not changed since forever. Neither has truth. And neither of these are 'new'.

"Doctrine does not change," she replied, "only our understand of it changes."

This is an outright lie. The WT$ trail of changes is all in black and white. Just because your wife doesn't want to look at it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Unfortunately Gary, this is your wife when it comes to anything other than what the WT$ tells her:

Lalalala

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nice logic Gary,

My wife is stuck in the cult too.

Understanding of truth? Then why have some truth's (quote fingers used), actually changed. IE. The men of Sodm will/won't/will/etc get resurrected. That's hardly understanding increasing. The understanding is being switched on and off.

The overlapping generations is not understanding increasing it's another new theory from the WTBT$ business.

Trouble is.......JW's won't look at older publications as they seem to regard them as non existant and passed their sell by date to them.

Typical mind control I'm sad to say!

"Minds must be cleansed" (Watchtower, June 1, 1953, p. 350 par. 24).

Mind = brain & Cleansed = washing = .....................................................you guessed.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit