Hello to everyone.... and could I ask a really basic question here please...

by JamesS 48 Replies latest jw friends

• HB
    HB

Hi James,

I see you are from Haslemere..... I'm from Liphook (4 miles away).

I don't post on this forum any more (till today!) but I do read it frequently and find it fascinating. ( Sorry, I would be one of those tiresome people you mentioned on another thread that would question you madly in a social situation if I heard you had been a JW!)

I have never been a JW and none of my family were JWs but I got involved with the forum a couple of years ago because a young vulnerable friend of mine who was in the Haslemere congregation (on Wey Hill) was being sucked in and torn away from her family, and I was appalled at the way her study conductor was controlling and indoctrinating her, so I looked on the internet to learn more about the religion.

I now know that to start with, (being very ignorant about JW beliefs at the time), to my great regret, I was reasoning with my friend in completely the wrong way, attacking her belief in Jehovah directly rather than getting her to question for herself the basis of JW teachings but I didn't realise this until later.

Once I joined this forum and started learning what the Watchtower Org is about, several people gave me good advice but particularly a poster called 'Mr Majestic' who emailed me regularly and taught me how to behave and react and drip-feed information to my friend without setting off her 'apostate' alarm bells.

It took some time and ingenuity, but I eventually managed to get Mr Majestic and my friend together (long story). He used the bible and the WT Societies' own literature to open her eyes and thereby restored her sanity and returned her to her grateful family. As a JW she was constantly fearful and depressed but now she has a life and a future. (She will be in London auditioning for the X factor on Monday!) Another success story thanks to this website. She posted on here as 'Blooming Marvellous' a few times.

She and Mr Maj are now best of friends which is great, especially in view of the fact that when they first met, she acted as if he was the devil incarnate.

Seeing as we are just in the next village to you, if you would like to get together with the three of us for a chat one day, that would be great, we'd love to meet you. I am off on holiday on Saturday for a week, but on my return I will send you a message and see how you feel about it.

Heather

• flipper
    flipper

JAMES- Nice to have you here friend ! Look forward to getting to know you better

• cantleave
    cantleave

James - I have responded to your PM.

• cofty
    cofty

Hi James, welcome from "up north"

• Truth and Justice
    Truth and Justice

Hi James S,

Welcome!! Nice to have you here along with all your other "Londoner's".

Do they do the snack thing known as "Tea and Crumpits"? always wondered!

Take Care! Truth and Justice

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Hello James, as you can see there is a wide variety of persons - some thinking, some doing and many long left. I stopped attending meetings over a year ago and joined this group some months before. Many gave me not necessarily the courage to turn 180 degrees but the perspective to do so. I served as an elder, CoBE, RBC and had many parts in CA and DC. I left after 25 years, as did my wife and children. I still have a sister in, thats all - here kids are all out too now.

Contrary to popular (DUBspeak) belief I found mostly everyone here very happy, content, at peace and engaging. Also extremely helpful when you need them. Nor is there excessive bitterness, pehaps more like me - a bit mad at myself for being so gullable. In dealing with problems I have found that many offer very practical help - as many have been through the gate you went through 14 years ago. I look forward to your posts and insight in the months to come. I am not a big contributor but rarely let a week past without a quick check in!

There are some sadly who masqarade as ones who have left the JW's but soon show their true light with circular arguments, dissonance and narrow-mindedness. They soon leave and the site returns to normal. There are some great commenters - Blondie, Mr Flipper, etc, some exceptional humourists like Outlaw.

all the best James,

Simon Morley

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

WElcome, I used to be an Angel then I became a JW and now I am back in the tartarus, but we have wireless here.. so take your side.

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

Sheesh, a lot of Poms here aren't there? I'm in Melbourne, Australia. Was "in" for 22 years and have been "out" for three years and loving every minute of my freedom. My wife and I bumped into this website, as well as the excellent JWFacts, as we were making up our minds on whether to stay or go. The personal experiences were so valuable, helping to validate our own feelings of frustration and anger at the miserable life within "God's organisation".

It's a buzz joining the JWs and finding all these like-minded people, but an even bigger buzz getting out and discovering all these like-minded people who now know what those on the inside are suffering.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Do they do the snack thing known as "Tea and Crumpits"? always wondered!

It's CRUMPET. And yes, here in England we do enjoy one, especially on the rug in front of the fire!!

George

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit