Hello to everyone.... and could I ask a really basic question here please...

by JamesS 48 Replies latest jw friends

• JamesS
    JamesS

Hi Everyone!

I'm James I'm new to this forum as of today and I'm a ex-JW who was "born into the truth" and then left it officially at the age of twenty after "drifting out" of it for some time. I'm now 34 and whilst I'm not exactly happy with the world I'm living in, I'm largely happy with my own life.

One question I've got about this forum - I didn't join for a long time because I thought it was for ACTIVE JW's (based on the web-site URL), not ex JW's, but then looking at the threads, it seems it is more for ex-JW's! What is the demographic for the membership? Active, EX, leaving, returning? How is this group made up?

James

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I think you'll find its made up of a mixture of all those you mention....although it is predominantly exJWs here.

Welcome aboard anyway .... pleased to meet you!

Loz x

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There is no official count on where each of us is at in our journey away from or with the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I guarantee that somewhere greater than 99% of the regular posters here are confident that Watchtower Society does not have "the truth."

But there are inactive JW's, some active (mostly for continued contact with JW family), DF'ed, DA'ed, and an occasional fully participating JW.

• carla
    carla

Welcome! Yes, it is made up of all kinds here including some of us who were never jw's at all but have loved one in the cult. The kind people here help us understand all the rules & regulations, goofy doctrines, etc.....

• looloo
    looloo

im an ex study that is married to a disfellowshipped man , welcome james are you in the uk ?

• saltyoldlady
    saltyoldlady

Good Morning and Welcome - I had the same confusion as yourself in the beginning but came to realize it is named the way it is to welcome those who call themselves JW's to join and participate in the discussions and perhaps learn - you'll enjoy the great variety of contributions - truly something for everyone's palette.

• JamesS
    JamesS

Hi everyone and a big thanks for the welcome!

You have cleared up my question and I think this is a place for me! If it was just JW's, or even a greater percentage of JW's, then I'd probably have not bothered to continue using the site. Not because I've got anything against the JW's, but just that I'd rather not talk to a brick wall!

Glad to see people here who are not members but have relationships with members or past members, I know that is a bit of a mine-field of "goofy rules" etc!

Yes I'm in the UK, just below London.

James

• Heaven
    Heaven

JamesS, welcome! We are definitely a mixed bag here.

Not because I've got anything against the JW's, but just that I'd rather not talk to a brick wall!

Now THAT's funny! And sadly, very true.

I'm in Ontario, Canada, was born-in (sorta... my Dad wasn't into it back then), and saw the fallacies in my teen years. None of us kids signed up, but after we grew up and moved out our parents decided to 'dedicate' themselves (ho boy ). It's been a rough ride.

Mom died 'in this current wicked system of things'. Dad will too. He's in his 80s now and has dementia. I am looking after him. I kept our relationship going even though the cult tried to destroy it. They did damage, but I refused to let the (insert colourful metaphor here) cult win. Heaven scores! (waves arms in the air!)

But our family will always carry the scars.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Welcome to the forum, James!

Not because I've got anything against the JW's, but just that I'd rather not talk to a brick wall!

Then I recommend avoiding any thread started by Spade.

• losthobbit
    losthobbit

I'm an ex-Christian... with a mission to talk sense into anyone willing to listen. I like Jehovah's Witnesses, and want to rescue them.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit